Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #15
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
One thing I noticed is the vehicle now maintains more brake dust than it did when it was new. I think it has something to do with tire dressing. Perhaps, a detailer can provide more input on this topic.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #16
webslinger408

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss rs m6
Thanks ineedjava!!! yeah i just used my 3rd application but it wows me how good it works I tried every thing including brake dust cleaner wash from almost every company but this stuff works great keeps all kinda dust off and water..including tire dressing...there's also this spay from nascar they sell at the 76 gas station that you can spray on your tire paint panels, it works great on the tire rear panels. they dont sell it at the 76 station it was a sales group that had a stand outside the station i should bought at least 4 bottles i lost the bottle so i can give you guys the name of the company or the name of the product but it works great and last weeks including car washes..
webslinger408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #17
drookster

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
I use a Swiffer to wipe my Rally Yellow SS down. I do the sides first, then do each wheel. Give it a try, it'll keep you from going insane like I nearly did!
drookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #18
Berean

Drives: Truck
Hawk ceramics were my first mod.
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #19
boat rx

Drives: 2010 2ssrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berean View Post
Hawk ceramics were my first mod.
I put Hawk ceramics on hoping to get less dust,BAD move.They stop really good,but they squeal and IMO they are way dirtier than my stock pads.I pulled them apart and tried brake stop grease on all recommended areas but it still makes noise.Hope to find a resolve to this problem.
boat rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #20
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by boat rx View Post
I put Hawk ceramics on hoping to get less dust,BAD move.They stop really good,but they squeal and IMO they are way dirtier than my stock pads.I pulled them apart and tried brake stop grease on all recommended areas but it still makes noise.Hope to find a resolve to this problem.
The better a brake pad functions the noisier it becomes. The better a brake pad functions the more dust it creates. There is no way around this. If your pads make less dust, they are not working as well as the OE pads. Performance brakes are dirty brakes. My CTS-V front calipers are discolored from heat on the track. Some who see the car notice and think or say you need to fix that. Others in the know smile understanding how it happens.

My Cobalt Friction brake pads screech -- BAD. Pulling into a toll booth is great. The toll collectors cover thier ears. Some tell me you need to fix your brakes. I pull into a SCCA or track event with the same noise and they know I have good brake pads.

GM did a very good job with the OE brake pads. They are a very good combination pad for street and light track use. I know the noise and dust is irritating to many owners. Hopefully you will come to value function over the dust and noise.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #21
Erik@Torq

Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The better a brake pad functions the noisier it becomes. The better a brake pad functions the more dust it creates. There is no way around this. If your pads make less dust, they are not working as well as the OE pads. Performance brakes are dirty brakes. My CTS-V front calipers are discolored from heat on the track. Some who see the car notice and think or say you need to fix that. Others in the know smile understanding how it happens.

My Cobalt Friction brake pads screech -- BAD. Pulling into a toll booth is great. The toll collectors cover thier ears. Some tell me you need to fix your brakes. I pull into a SCCA or track event with the same noise and they know I have good brake pads.

GM did a very good job with the OE brake pads. They are a very good combination pad for street and light track use. I know the noise and dust is irritating to many owners. Hopefully you will come to value function over the dust and noise.

Personally I would never run anything less then the stock pads, and our typical upgrade for street cars is running the Hawk HPS pads. A little less dust but great performing pads for the street.

I am not a big fan of the Ceramics on these cars at all actually, but again as Pete I am used to straight up race pads that will wake the dead
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #22
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by webslinger408 View Post
Don't get new pads!! unless you want to..I had the same problem and i found a good solution..i paid 8.99 for armorall wheel protectant just wash your rims, dry them and spray it all over the rim including the inside rim and let dry for one 1hr works like magic even gives the rim a great shine last up to 3-4 weeks even in the rain my rims stayed clean..i use a California duster for the side brake dust but since i used this stuff i don't get much brake dust at all..
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #23
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
Hawk HPS pads FTW!! I had developed the dreaded front brake squeal at about 15,000 miles. Upgraded and lost the squeal and have noticably less dust on my wheels - love them.
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:52 AM   #24
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by webslinger408 View Post
Don't get new pads!! unless you want to..I had the same problem and i found a good solution..i paid 8.99 for armorall wheel protectant just wash your rims, dry them and spray it all over the rim including the inside rim and let dry for one 1hr works like magic even gives the rim a great shine last up to 3-4 weeks even in the rain my rims stayed clean..i use a California duster for the side brake dust but since i used this stuff i don't get much brake dust at all..
^ this and get tuff shine for the tires. Keep that wet look for a long time. And just wipe with a dry or wet cloth to clean.