The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-29-2023, 03:46 PM   #1107
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
If you look at Chevy all the way back to the 60's, they either cant or wont learn. I'll bet Dodge will but a new V8 in their cars way before Chevy will. In fact, I'm sure Dodge will put a V8 in a pony car and GM flat out wont.
They’ll have a hard time finding one. Hemi is dead, except for a 6.4L kept around for commercial pickups. Parent company Stellantis (Citroen / Peugeot / Opel) is very focused on EVs i Europe and boosted 4 cylinders. The Hurricane L6 is based on a European designed L4 with 2 additional cylinders. Really good engine, though.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 03:51 PM   #1108
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
That 6.4 in the Ram 2500 and bigger trucks will have people taking it and placing it in cars modified for that use. I don't doubt it at all. EDIT: When I say people I mean not the manufacturer
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 04:01 PM   #1109
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
Dont get so but hurt. The history is when ford and mopar were still sponsoring racing, Chevy refused. As a lifelong GM fan, its been especially frustrating to everyone who watched the history unfold that GM was always dead last when it came to supporting high performance. Its ALWAYS been that way too. It was almost always dealers and aftermarket groups that took Chevy's and made them the legendary cars we look back on today. The ZL1 and 1LE options as they exist today are nothing short of a miracle in Chevrolet history.
The electric talk is a little premature now. Car companies are all pulling back on their electric futures.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 04:21 PM   #1110
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
There is already an entire thread about electric bull $hit. Don't start, cluttering up other threads with EV talk...
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 05:06 PM   #1111
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
The electric talk is a little premature now. Car companies are all pulling back on their electric futures.
If you actually read what they actually said they are not pulling back on their endgame. They are just acknowledging it will take them longer to get there.

Specifically, GM has informed investors, stockholders, and media (I count as media) that they will not reach their goal of 100,000 EVs delivered in 2023 or 400,000 EVs delivered by the end of 2024. They DID NOT say they are shifting strategy back towards hybrids or ICE.

Both Ford and GM are slowing their ramp up of EV trucks. Ford because they aren’t selling. GM says it’s because they are making engineering changes to Silverado EV and Sierra EV that will push back launch timing. I’m sure slower than expected sales of Lightning had some weight on that decision.

GM is missing their targets because they are very slow getting product out of the factory. A lot of speculation as to why that is, but they aren’t talking about that. Not to anybody. Lyriq started production more than a year ago but they are still only trickling them out to customers. And the last time I looked, they’re only delivering single motor Lyriqs. Most people want the dual motor. They’ve completely delayed the Blazer EV rollout. SS is supposed to be in customers hands now, but they are only trickling out LT versions and have pushed the SS out until mid-2024. Equinox was supposed to be launching now but it hasn’t. All of these add up to missing the 100,000 target. But they are not pivoting away from these products.

The thing that’s frustrating for me is I’ve been all set, cash in hand, to buy a Blazer EV SS. Now it’s not coming until mid-next year but the Honda Prologue and Acura ZDX that are built on the same platform with the same motors and batteries are both coming to market soon.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 10-29-2023, 05:29 PM   #1112
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
If you actually read what they actually said they are not pulling back on their endgame. They are just acknowledging it will take them longer to get there.

Specifically, GM has informed investors, stockholders, and media (I count as media) that they will not reach their goal of 100,000 EVs delivered in 2023 or 400,000 EVs delivered by the end of 2024. They DID NOT say they are shifting strategy back towards hybrids or ICE.

Both Ford and GM are slowing their ramp up of EV trucks. Ford because they aren’t selling. GM says it’s because they are making engineering changes to Silverado EV and Sierra EV that will push back launch timing. I’m sure slower than expected sales of Lightning had some weight on that decision.

GM is missing their targets because they are very slow getting product out of the factory. A lot of speculation as to why that is, but they aren’t talking about that. Not to anybody. Lyriq started production more than a year ago but they are still only trickling them out to customers. And the last time I looked, they’re only delivering single motor Lyriqs. Most people want the dual motor. They’ve completely delayed the Blazer EV rollout. SS is supposed to be in customers hands now, but they are only trickling out LT versions and have pushed the SS out until mid-2024. Equinox was supposed to be launching now but it hasn’t. All of these add up to missing the 100,000 target. But they are not pivoting away from these products.

The thing that’s frustrating for me is I’ve been all set, cash in hand, to buy a Blazer EV SS. Now it’s not coming until mid-next year but the Honda Prologue and Acura ZDX that are built on the same platform with the same motors and batteries are both coming to market soon.
Honda and GM just ended their EV partnership permanently. Unless you know facts that we do not (please tell everything you know if you do), they’ve ended all electric partnership operations.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 05:36 PM   #1113
The Zebra

Drives: '24 ZL1 A10, '70 Olds 442 W-30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
If you want a true muscle/pony car like the Camaro is today, you'll need to look toward the used market going forward. Stellantis isn't going to put a V8 in any car going forward either. Even gm is making the Corvette a hybrid and then soon to be electric. They are conditioning the the Corvette faithful with the ERay. (But of course all this is my opinion and best guess)
^THIS^

Obviously with the EV and emissions push, V8's are going extinct soon (except maybe in heavy duty pick ups?). On the bright side, it makes your Camaro V8 that much more special.

Last edited by The Zebra; 10-29-2023 at 07:23 PM.
The Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 06:28 PM   #1114
riversidess1le

Drives: 2024 1SS 1LE 10/30 TPW
The did not end their partnership. The current partnership that developed a full size EV on the Ultium platform is full steam ahead with dealers already ramping up facilities. The rollout will start in February on the coasts and then move inward over the proceeding 3-6 months. The partnership that was cancelled is the development of an “affordable” EV with GM. This was likely just a realization that Honda is far more capable of developing a better product quicker on their own.

Quote:
Honda and GM just ended their EV partnership permanently. Unless you know facts that we do not (please tell everything you know if you do), they’ve ended all electric partnership operations.
riversidess1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 06:54 PM   #1115
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Did anyone see that the EV Charger will have a actual working tailpipes with airflow through mufflers so it sounds legit ?

The old saying "a car engine is just a glorified air pump" comes to mind:

Electric Air pumps connected to an exhaust system, mufflers/tailpipes.
Old 10-29-2023, 07:00 PM   #1116
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post

This will be the hardest segment to swap to full EV it is also one of the best selling segments in the US.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 07:59 PM   #1117
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
This will be the hardest segment to swap to full EV it is also one of the best selling segments in the US.
Cybertruck looks like it will be a lifestyle accessory if you need to use the bed. The bed is hilarious in the prototypes people have been catching in public.
Old 10-29-2023, 10:39 PM   #1118
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
GM and Honda ended a joint project to develop low cost EVs. Honda will develop their own low cost vehicles and GM will bring a next gen Bolt to market as its Ultium based low cost EV.

Their existing relationships are unchanged. That includes GM building Prologue and ZDX on Ultium platform with Ultium batteries. The next gen of both those vehicles will be built on Honda’s own platform, but that was always the plan. They are also both continuing with their joint Fuel Cell development program. Honda has had fuel cell engineers co-located in a GM complex in Pontiac for about 15 years. I was working in that complex when Honda came on board. The logistics to isolate various parts of the buildings came down to an ID badge level of control. Person A’s badge could be programmed for access to rooms and labs that Person B’s badge wouldn’t access.

Here’s an excerpt from an article detailing the change in plans.

GM cited a joint statement that pointed to the projects the companies are still working on together in acknowledging the end of EV plan.
GM shares were nearly flat at $28.52 in pre-market trading on Wednesday. Honda closed up 0.8% in Tokyo before the decision was announced.
JOINT PLATFORM
GM CEO Mary Barra said on Tuesday during an earnings conference call that the U.S. automaker was shifting its EV push from efforts in the entry-level segments, that included a $5 billion commitment over the next several years to GM's Bolt EV. A spokesperson confirmed she was referring to the Honda EV partnership.
The two firms agreed in April last year to develop a series of lower-priced EVs based on a new joint platform, producing potentially millions of cars from 2027.
The automakers had said the deal was for "affordable" EVs, including compact crossover vehicles, built using GM's Ultium battery technology.

"After studying this for a year, we decided that this would be difficult as a business, so at the moment, we are ending development of an affordable EV," Honda CEO Toshihiro Mibe was quoted by Bloomberg as saying in an interview.
A Honda spokesperson said its separate partnership with GM and its Cruise unit would not be impacted by a recent safety incident in California which led to a suspension of the robotaxi firm's driverless testing permit in the U.S. state.

Old 10-29-2023, 10:49 PM   #1119
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
Cybertruck looks like it will be a lifestyle accessory if you need to use the bed. The bed is hilarious in the prototypes people have been catching in public.
The issue here is “Lifestyle Truck”.

There are stats somewhere that split light-duty truck usage into two categories: Lifestyle trucks and focused use trucks. This is why both Ford and GM have developed Work Truck variants of their EV trucks. The general thinking is that such a large portion of the light duty truck market (F150 as opposed to F250/350 and on up) is used as lifestyle trucks they could focus the mainstream EV trucks to fit the lifestyle truck market and continue to offer F250 Silverado HD, Ram 2500 as the “truck” trucks.

The EV trucks would basically replace the trucks that are bought primarily for transportation with the occasional Home Depot run or furniture moving task. Buyers requiring the heavy hauling and towing capability would still be expected to buy the 3/4 ton and up vehicles.

Old 10-30-2023, 06:54 AM   #1120
docwra

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Exactly. They talk about todays cost of electricity and some magical future where range and recharging times have been solved. So you have to live in a split reality. Electric costs of the past and technology of the future.
You really have to shout to get listened to here huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by me on the last page
Solid state batteries that charge in 10 minutes and offer 1000+ miles of range ALREADY EXIST, they arent magically going to become undiscovered

The cost of power might increase but that will affect your household spend a lot more - EV charging is only a fraction of my overall energy bill
Quote:
It's reassuring to see so many articles lately all talking about how demand for EVs is dropping
Reassuring? Like its reassuring when a criminal is put in prison or you recover from an illness?

In places that are encouraging EVs by installing infrastructure, places where people arent salivating over antiEV propaganda, demand has never been higher: https://www.investopedia.com/europe-...ar-ago-7963602

Tesla Models 3's have also just become cheaper than entry level BMW 3 series in both USA and EU, tell me again about inflated prices for inferior products
docwra is offline   Reply With Quote