The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-27-2022, 01:35 PM   #113
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
And as of last week, laying of 8,000 people from the ICE side of the house.
I would expect some of that with the shrink and grow of the two divisions. The auto industry has not experienced disruption like this in a long time so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I am really curious of what becomes of the traditional dealer network in an EV world. They will not be able to depend on the services business like they have done in the past and you start to question the value they offer and how they justify their margins.

The next generation of buyers don't want to haggle with salesman. They will buy from the companies that let you order online at a set price and have mobile service if needed.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 02:49 PM   #114
Strange Flavor

Drives: 17 Fifty SS, 11 2SS, 91 LSX C1500
Yeah it seems like a slow moving train crash. Too many obstacles in place to reasonably move to EV's in the time they are trying to do it. Why aren't we transitioning to hybrids as an intermediate? Gradually moving off gas over a reasonable amount of time while upgrading the infrastructure. I don't see how people are just accepting that. I'm not turning my frequent 6 hour road trips into 10+ hours while I stop to charge every 200 miles, that sounds ridiculous.

Outside of that I think some place in Europe are installing some sort of anti speeding devices standard on their cars now. I bet it comes here next. You'll be getting a ticket in the mail every time your 10mph over. Sure seems like a lot of control.

I'd go on about nuclear power and how it's dumb we aren't pursuing it but I'm digressing on a Camaro forum at this point. It just saddens me that I grew up wanting these cars and they are going away. Supposed to be restoring my dad's '71 but I'm starting to get concerned on how long you'll be able to get crate engines and affordable gas. Should have started years ago.
Strange Flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:22 PM   #115
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
Base blazer ev is 247 miles range. 2LT is 293, The RS gets 320 miles and SS gets 290 miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Which is all you really need for a daily driver. Road trips more inconvenient in an EV but still very doable with fast charging.
This all day long and twice on Sunday. That’s why I have a Blazer EV reserved and will spec a nice SS when it’s my turn. Almost 8months into this year so far and I have made exactly 1 trip longer than 290 miles (CamaroFest). So if I had to wait 35-45 minutes (not an hour) for a charge that one time in a year, it balances out favorably against all the time I currently spend in line at Costco waiting to fill up my current vehicles. I get all that gas station time back. Nobody ever talks about that.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:49 PM   #116
Strange Flavor

I mean it's all subjective, I'm sure EV's will work out for a lot of people that don't travel that much. I spend maybe 5 or 6 minutes at a gas station once or twice a month, I'm not worried about that time. I'm a lot more worried about having to find a fast charging station on my road trips. It's likely 10+ minutes out of my way and I still end up waiting the 30 to 45 minutes to charge, that's time I don't want to spend.
Old 07-27-2022, 03:51 PM   #117
Strange Flavor

I should clarify, I'm not against EV's. I just think there is a more reasonable approach than what we are getting.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:38 PM   #118
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Flavor View Post
I mean it's all subjective, I'm sure EV's will work out for a lot of people that don't travel that much. I spend maybe 5 or 6 minutes at a gas station once or twice a month, I'm not worried about that time. I'm a lot more worried about having to find a fast charging station on my road trips. It's likely 10+ minutes out of my way and I still end up waiting the 30 to 45 minutes to charge, that's time I don't want to spend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Flavor View Post
I should clarify, I'm not against EV's. I just think there is a more reasonable approach than what we are getting.
Absolutely subjective (see what I did there?). It’s very subjective. Several people I know who have EVs say that their most favorite aspect is they never have to go to the gas station. Ever. Even my wife has been saying that since she got her first Volt in 2012. She goes to a gas station every 6 or 7 months. Actually she hands me the keys and tells me to go. For many people the entire concept of an EV just simply doesn’t work out and might never work out. So know what they should do? They should by an ICE vehicle and keep it moving. EVs won’t be the only solution on the road for several decades, if ever. The transition is not a light switch that flips on while the ICE switch flips off. Both options will be in the market for a long time, with multiple variations of each. EV’s don’t crack the 30% of sales volume ceiling until about 2030.

The thing is, and here’s where it gets crucial for this particular forum and others like it, some of the vehicle types we favor will simply go away. Muscle cars will be among the first to disappear. Some vehicle types, like sports cars, will quickly transition away from ICE to BEV simply because of regulatory issues with staying ICE, the demonstrably superior performance of EV over ICE, and the much better economies of scale to manufacture EVs compared to low volume ICE performance cars.

So at the end of the day, those of us who like and would buy EVs will have many to choose from. Those who could give a $#1t about EVs will have many ICE vehicles to choose from, but probably not sports cars or family sedans.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 07-27-2022, 05:51 PM   #119
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Personally, I don’t think this looks bad at all. I’d like something a little more aggressive, but it doesn’t look bad. A-Pillar forward it looks like a Camaro with an EV grille. Rear tire back it looks like a Camaro. So I’m guessing it’s that extra door on each side that has people puking.

Wouldn’t be the first time Camaro changed body types. From 1967 until 1981 it was a coupe. From 1982 until 2002 it was a hatchback. Then for 2010 it went back to being a coupe.

Even Corvette has had some really big changes without diluting the name or brand image. From 1963 to 2004 (43 years!!!) Corvette had pop-up headlights. Kinda defined the brand. When they dropped them for 2005 I don’t recall a lot of people going “aw hell naw, that’s not a Corvette”.

As much as I prefer a sporty looking 2-door coupe, if the design and, more importantly, the driving dynamics of a 4-door are there <cough> M5 </cough> then it’s all good.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2022, 06:00 PM   #120
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
I agree it looks good except the door handles. Make them disappear and it would look a lot better.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 06:04 PM   #121
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
wow. 4 dr., electric camaro. this mfer gonna weigh 7k lbs or wut.

rip camaro.
Old 07-27-2022, 07:01 PM   #122
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Personally, I don’t think this looks bad at all. I’d like something a little more aggressive, but it doesn’t look bad. A-Pillar forward it looks like a Camaro with an EV grille. Rear tire back it looks like a Camaro. So I’m guessing it’s that extra door on each side that has people puking.

Wouldn’t be the first time Camaro changed body types. From 1967 until 1981 it was a coupe. From 1982 until 2002 it was a hatchback. Then for 2010 it went back to being a coupe.

Even Corvette has had some really big changes without diluting the name or brand image. From 1963 to 2004 (43 years!!!) Corvette had pop-up headlights. Kinda defined the brand. When they dropped them for 2005 I don’t recall a lot of people going “aw hell naw, that’s not a Corvette”.

As much as I prefer a sporty looking 2-door coupe, if the design and, more importantly, the driving dynamics of a 4-door are there <cough> M5 </cough> then it’s all good.

Jimmie votes no. They can do better. Way better. Plus I’m still hoping for a coupe off of the sedan (Malibu/Impala replacement) to wear the Camaro badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
wow. 4 dr., electric camaro. this mfer gonna weigh 7k lbs or wut.

rip camaro.
Probably not that heavy.
Old 07-27-2022, 07:15 PM   #123
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
Whoever in the government that’s pushing electric cars is doing it backwards. They need to fix the power grid first. They’re doing rolling blackouts because everybody is running air conditioners. How can they handle electric cars they can’t handle something as simple as AC.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:23 PM   #124
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets12 View Post
Whoever in the government that’s pushing electric cars is doing it backwards. They need to fix the power grid first. They’re doing rolling blackouts because everybody is running air conditioners. How can they handle electric cars they can’t handle something as simple as AC.
Yes, somebody oughta be working on that. https://www.energy.gov/articles/bide...americas-power

Old 07-27-2022, 08:23 PM   #125
cooldawg

Drives: RAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets12 View Post
As tax payers, we’ve likely already paid to fix the power grid many, many times over. The government needs to stand down and let free markets innovate and produce for both infrastructure and what sells in the marketplace.

Since it has become a political football thanks in largest measure to the climate alarmists, both sides just take turns lining the pockets of whoever contributes to their campaigns. Nothing gets fixed. Influence is peddled.

I know I’m drifting off topic here, but regardless of what capabilities that an EV is advertised to have (and we are ‘allowed’ to use) it’s not very capable without being charged. Same can be said for ICE of course, but that energy source is much more easily stored.

I’m just surprised how willing the consumer community is to surrender ICE for an EV. Especially so in a community such as this. We’ve come a long, long way from the LT1 in 1970, carburetors, mechanical distributors, solid lifters n’ all. We’re going to miss these cars even more. If you’re willing to buy one, you’re enabling the whole mess, and make no mistake, it will be a mess if the transition is pushed in haste due largely to a lust for power and control.

There simply aren’t enough lamp posts for these crooks… sorry rant off.
cooldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 08:48 PM   #126
Edward Paul

Drives: LT1
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...gster-wheelie/
Going fast silent is a plus. I wonder how many runs it can go without needing more than tires?
Edward Paul is offline   Reply With Quote