#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-10-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
PTM and recovering from too much lift mid turn

Hey track rats,

Does anyone know for a fact if PTM can save you mid turn if you lift too much?

The scenario is I'm used to lifting on purpose in tight, slow corners (mainly autocross when I do this) to help the rear end kick around, but when tires are too cold or traction has changed, e.g. gravel, tire marbles, etc., it can change the amount and speed I should have lifted and I just spin out. My natural reaction is to just apply the brakes and ride it to a stop.

I'm completely new to PTM, but is it the case that if I floor it, PTM will kick in and maximize my traction during the slide? Too scared to try this until I do another autocross with a safe section to test.

Any other non intuitive tricks you can share about using PTM?
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:51 AM   #2
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
PTM can't help you with over rotation from a lift. ESC can though.

I think you are generally right that squeezing a little bit of throttle to settle the rear is the right thing to do unless you already got the car to snap.

Previous cars:
- 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE (Red Hot)
- 2018 Miata RF GT (Machine Gray/Auburn)
- 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE (Summit White)
- 2008 BMW 135i (Montego Blue)
- 1996 BMW 328i (Arctic Silver)
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:29 PM   #3
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
Hey track rats,

Does anyone know for a fact if PTM can save you mid turn if you lift too much?

The scenario is I'm used to lifting on purpose in tight, slow corners (mainly autocross when I do this) to help the rear end kick around, but when tires are too cold or traction has changed, e.g. gravel, tire marbles, etc., it can change the amount and speed I should have lifted and I just spin out. My natural reaction is to just apply the brakes and ride it to a stop.

I'm completely new to PTM, but is it the case that if I floor it, PTM will kick in and maximize my traction during the slide? Too scared to try this until I do another autocross with a safe section to test.

Any other non intuitive tricks you can share about using PTM?
PTM will not save you if you lift mid turn. I personally have spun twice from that exact scenario. If you are really greedy with throttle input in a super tight turn, you can get the car out of shape. My experience has been in "Sport 1" which enables Stabilitrak and traction control. Try a slow sweeper where you can slowly squeeze the throttle at the apex and you will feel/hear the throttle burp if the cornering g threshold is met. Trying it in an autocross is a great idea.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:48 PM   #4
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
PTM will not save you if you lift mid turn. I personally have spun twice from that exact scenario. If you are really greedy with throttle input in a super tight turn, you can get the car out of shape. My experience has been in "Sport 1" which enables Stabilitrak and traction control. Try a slow sweeper where you can slowly squeeze the throttle at the apex and you will feel/hear the throttle burp if the cornering g threshold is met. Trying it in an autocross is a great idea.
I was hearing that "throttle burp" with PTM dry at the last autocross and thought it was so cool, but didn't think to try to engage it by applying more throttle in a spot I spun out a few times experimenting with the various modes (lifting way too much there). Love using autocross practices to experiment with the car before I start going fast on the road courses.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:26 PM   #5
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
PTM is limited to available tire traction. PTM works best when throttling out of a corner where the e-diff. also comes into play.

I have gotten a decent (maybe 30 degree) slide even in Dry mode with worn rear tires while lifting in a 70 MPH sweeper.

I have noticed that assuming you start with all 4 fresh tires, the car is very neutral and then as the tires wear, you will get more oversteer tendencies, at least with how my tires wear on the street. My wear rate is about 2:1 front to rear with my driving style.

Fresh tires I use Sport 1, after about 75% rear tires gone, I keep it in set to Dry mode.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:33 PM   #6
kramard

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
Sorry guys - I may have my facts wrong but:

PTM Wet - SC/TC active
PTM Normal - SC/TC active
PTM Sport 1 - TC / SC on; less intrusive then normal
PTM Sport 2 - I thought SC was still on but correct me here
PTM Race - Optimal warm tire on throttle help; zero off throttle help - you break it you fix it.

What OP is looking for is "Comp Mode" - the car needs to be in "Sport Mode" (not "Track Mode"); two quick presses of the traction control button and "Competition Mode" should flash on the dash screen. Competition mode allegedly does not have TC (i don't think that's true from my experience) but absolutely has on and off throttle SC enabled. It's a very interesting mode and most certainly collects the car quicker then you can.

Feel free to correct as appropriate I did this from memory.
kramard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:54 PM   #7
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramard View Post
Sorry guys - I may have my facts wrong but:

PTM Wet - SC/TC active
PTM Normal - SC/TC active
PTM Sport 1 - TC / SC on; less intrusive then normal
PTM Sport 2 - I thought SC was still on but correct me here
PTM Race - Optimal warm tire on throttle help; zero off throttle help - you break it you fix it.

What OP is looking for is "Comp Mode" - the car needs to be in "Sport Mode" (not "Track Mode"); two quick presses of the traction control button and "Competition Mode" should flash on the dash screen. Competition mode allegedly does not have TC (i don't think that's true from my experience) but absolutely has on and off throttle SC enabled. It's a very interesting mode and most certainly collects the car quicker then you can.

Feel free to correct as appropriate I did this from memory.
Interesting. I did have it in sport mode while the tires where cold, but felt it reeled me in more than I wanted for autocross. I probably needed competition mode in that case. I'll look at that next time as well. It was hard getting those 3R tires warm because of all the waiting between runs, but I liked PTM dry once they were somewhat warm. I was on street alignment as well (I do apologize to the outside of my tires for that one). Plan to move to track alignment next time around to see the difference.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:52 PM   #8
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Doesn’t matter what mode you’re in..... lifting mid-corner, especially over a crest will get you in trouble. Traction and stability control are only effective with good traction. Get the car light or too far out and all bets are off.
Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:06 AM   #9
kramard

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
Interesting. I did have it in sport mode while the tires where cold, but felt it reeled me in more than I wanted for autocross. I probably needed competition mode in that case. I'll look at that next time as well. It was hard getting those 3R tires warm because of all the waiting between runs, but I liked PTM dry once they were somewhat warm. I was on street alignment as well (I do apologize to the outside of my tires for that one). Plan to move to track alignment next time around to see the difference.
I have a major gripe with the zle traction control system. It does not work on cold 3rs (in cold weather) and imo took a major step back from the z/28. I drive all off on track but I can see how an inexperienced driver could easily get in trouble on wet or cold conditions. 3r will not work well for autox until 70+ degrees outside. Also alignment and turning the struts helped me out a ton.
kramard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:53 AM   #10
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramard View Post
I have a major gripe with the zle traction control system. It does not work on cold 3rs (in cold weather) and imo took a major step back from the z/28. I drive all off on track but I can see how an inexperienced driver could easily get in trouble on wet or cold conditions. 3r will not work well for autox until 70+ degrees outside. Also alignment and turning the struts helped me out a ton.
Would you say that's a tire difference or was the PTM tuned differently for the Z28?
Old 03-11-2020, 07:36 AM   #11
ZRacerLE

This is all great, guys. Any more PTM tips and tricks?
Old 03-11-2020, 12:46 PM   #12
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
those cold 3R tires are what got me into trouble 2 weeks after buying my first ZL1 1LE, I ended up wrecking into the guardrail just by merging onto the highway at normal speeds.

when you guys say "lift" mid corner you mean gassing it to get the back to kick out correct?

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #13
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
those cold 3R tires are what got me into trouble 2 weeks after buying my first ZL1 1LE, I ended up wrecking into the guardrail just by merging onto the highway at normal speeds.

when you guys say "lift" mid corner you mean gassing it to get the back to kick out correct?
No, lift means lifting off the throttle. It usually happens when you panic going through a turn too fast. It's like applying a brake to the rear wheels which makes them slide. That's why I do it on purpose on certain types of turns on an autocross or road course.

Man, so sorry to hear about that guardrail! Hope you get that beauty back good as new soon.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #14
gotswap

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Crush
Search for lift off oversteer on the google. It is a weight transfer thing, not much can help from an electronics side as you no longer have the needed traction

All besides the 2650 is bone stock down to the air filter.
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote