Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-05-2020, 07:01 AM   #1
LORDOBERON

Drives: chevrolet camaro
WHAT AFTERMARKET PARTS REQUIRE YOU TO DO A TUNE

can some post a detailed thread on what aftermarket parts when added to the car a tune is definitely needed for those of us who are not very knowledgeable about these thing

thanks
LORDOBERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:34 AM   #2
Sangila

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Black SS
Intake manifolds, anything related to forced induction, and fuel system mods.
Sangila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:39 AM   #3
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Probably a much shorter list naming what you can add that won't require a tune adjustment.

Some Cold Air intakes wont require a tune and some modded throttle bodies are ok, and aftermarket ignition coils.

You will find some folks on here have done some mods without tuning. Then you get into are they getting the most from the mod since they didn't adjust for it and at some point could it cause an issue. Basically the parts that provide big gains require a tune. Pulley changes, cam, supercharger swaps, exhaust, etc...all require tuning to function properly and deliver the gain you want/expect from the money invested.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:46 AM   #4
lgarrison34

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE HBM, 2010 SS FBO/Cam
You can do ported stock intake manifolds and throttle bodies without a tune. Exhaust is fine unless you are changing the main cats or going with headers. Most other engine performance mods will require tuning. Such as cams, flex fuel, ported/aftermarket heads, superchargers, turbos, prochargers, meth and alky injection.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:06 AM   #5
FoundNemo

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Deleting the secondary cats can cause false knock fyi. It can be tuned out or a resonator put in its place to avoid exciting the knock sensors most likely. Just fair warning.
FoundNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:29 AM   #6
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Got SS owners commenting, so, are you asking for a ZL1 (I assume so since it was posted in the ZL1 forum)? From what I understand, the TB and CAI are pretty much all you can stick on a ZL1 without a tune (although I'd imagine axle back or catback wouldn't require a tune either).
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:49 AM   #7
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodCheck View Post
Got SS owners commenting, so, are you asking for a ZL1 (I assume so since it was posted in the ZL1 forum)? From what I understand, the TB and CAI are pretty much all you can stick on a ZL1 without a tune (although I'd imagine axle back or catback wouldn't require a tune either).
Doesn't really matter, same rules/requirements apply.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:09 AM   #8
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
In a nutshell a rotofab CAI (non big gulp), an NX lid, catch can, any axel or cat back and the ported TB of your choice. None require a tune as your computer will adjust to the differences, in fact it will over time adjust so efficiently that the minimal dyno gains from such mods will be mitigated. Basically non tune type engine mods are for appearance, sound and looks. Kind of a broad overview, but this basically covers most of it I think.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #9
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
In a nutshell a rotofab CAI (non big gulp), an NX lid, catch can, any axel or cat back and the ported TB of your choice. None require a tune as your computer will adjust to the differences, in fact it will over time adjust so efficiently that the minimal dyno gains from such mods will be mitigated. Basically non tune type engine mods are for appearance, sound and looks. Kind of a broad overview, but this basically covers most of it I think.

OMG - Don't start that discussion about CAI and exhaust not increasing HP. LOL. Recently had a discussion on facebook in the 6th gen ZL1 group about CAI and exhaust providing minimal gain HP. You think I was suggesting the earth was flat

Your comments are dead on! IMHO!
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:42 AM   #10
FoundNemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
OMG - Don't start that discussion about CAI and exhaust not increasing HP. LOL. Recently had a discussion on facebook in the 6th gen ZL1 group about CAI and exhaust providing minimal gain HP. You think I was suggesting the earth was flat

You can for sure get gains through lightweight 19" wheels, lighter tires and if you're ballin, CCB rotors. Up to around 100lbs off the wheels/tires/rotors fyi, substantial performance gains. Computer has no idea because its not based on sensor/throttle/airflow so they are real and permanent.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDOBERON View Post
can some post a detailed thread on what aftermarket parts when added to the car a tune is definitely needed for those of us who are not very knowledgeable about these thing

thanks
I understand where you are coming from but let me say this.

There is so much benefit to tuning this should be your first mod.

These cars respond very well to a good clean tune, I found the calibrations have left a lot on the table which is highly unusual in this day and age.

All the bolt ons that say no tune required are well Let me put it to you like this.

If the factory calibration with factory parts is as far off as I have seen on 30 + ZL-1, how on Gods Green earth can the calibration be good with aftermarket parts???

Feel free to call with any questions or post them here.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:12 AM   #12
FoundNemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I understand where you are coming from but let me say this.

There is so much benefit to tuning this should be your first mod.

These cars respond very well to a good clean tune, I found the calibrations have left a lot on the table which is highly unusual in this day and age.

All the bolt ons that say no tune required are well Let me put it to you like this.

If the factory calibration with factory parts is as far off as I have seen on 30 + ZL-1, how on Gods Green earth can the calibration be good with aftermarket parts???

Feel free to call with any questions or post them here.

Ted.
Hi Ted,

Out of curiosity, what kind of gains would be expected from a Jannetty tune with basic bolt ons like a ported TB or LT5 TB and tune just to get more air in and stop the throttle closures when the OEM torque targets are hit? Not sure if you ever tried that with a conservative tune, pump or E15-E20 blend at 94-94.5 octane and just more airflow / rotofab and TB.

Some of us blend E20ish on the stock tune with great results (93 octane and E85 mixed), no flex sensor needed because the O2's will adjust for the extra % needed at that level safely, but dont want to exceed that because the trims get too lean above E20 ish.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:20 PM   #13
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post

It’s not flat?
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundNemo View Post
Hi Ted,

Out of curiosity, what kind of gains would be expected from a Jannetty tune with basic bolt ons like a ported TB or LT5 TB and tune just to get more air in and stop the throttle closures when the OEM torque targets are hit? Not sure if you ever tried that with a conservative tune, pump or E15-E20 blend at 94-94.5 octane and just more airflow / rotofab and TB.

Some of us blend E20ish on the stock tune with great results (93 octane and E85 mixed), no flex sensor needed because the O2's will adjust for the extra % needed at that level safely, but dont want to exceed that because the trims get too lean above E20 ish.
We have seen 20+ RWHP on the low side.

I would strongly recommend you do not add E fuels without a flex fuel sensor and proper tuning.

It is true O2 sensors will see the lean condition and add it to the LTFT.

The + LTFT will carry in to WOT and make a rich condition, but this is not safe practice as O2 have no control or input during WOT runs.

Also no timing is being added for the E content to properly burn it.

People experiment with this stuff I get it all part of the Hobby but not a good idea in any way shape or form.

We should not be looking for Free mods they typically turn in to very expensive mistakes.

No different than getting caught cheating on a test or in a relationship the end results can be very bad.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote