Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 12-19-2019, 10:17 PM   #1
Dbunch9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Howling noise

So i put a new differential in (1LE diff) and solid bushings with an lpw cover and the howling noise got worse than the diff with bad bearings that i took out. Could it be the driveshaft or did i just buy a bad diff? It howls at all times and is worse on decel. I cant imagine the solid bushings just make the gear noise THAT bad
Dbunch9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:05 PM   #2
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
Probably the bushings. I never heard my diff whining until I put poly bushings in the back, now it’s pretty loud
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:50 AM   #3
Dbunch9

I guess after another drive i should say it really only howls at decel and isnt MPH specific. Gotta be the bushings and the fact that i took my trunk liner out a year ago so it's not sound deadened in the trunk... I'm just being paranoid. Gotta say though, the 3.91 compared to the 3.45 is WAY more fun
Old 12-20-2019, 07:10 AM   #4
Benman

Drives: 13 IOM 2ss RS manual
I rebuilt my diff myself and put 3.91's in it, also put in the Janetty posi mod and billet carrier caps. I replaced all the bearings and seals and also put an LPW cover on it. I don't notice any more "noise" from the new setup than was there before, if anything it's a bit quieter. I did notice in the stock setup there was absolutely zero preload on the bearings when I took it out, and the gear oil looked and smelled like it may have never been changed, car had about 87K miles on it at the time. I am at about 93K now and still quiet as can be. And I agree the 3.91's are how this car should have been geared from the factory.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #5
Dbunch9

Im starting to wonder if did the load bolts wrong on my lpw cover but i hand tightened them, torqued them to 10lbs And then the same with the load nut... i could see how if i tightened the hell out if them on the caps, the caps could mess the bearings up but i followed lpws instructions
Old 12-21-2019, 10:45 PM   #6
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Mine howled until I put new solid motor mounts in. One of the originals was cracked. I think the movement of the engine under load created some odd angles.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #7
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
was this "new" diff used? what did the tooth pattern look like? on decel only I would look at pinion depth and preload...my bet the preload is off and is an easy check/fix with the diff in the car.

I run Prothane motor mounts and have a insert in the trans mount...all BMR bushings in back with and the LPW cover bushing is delrin...I have more gear sound/noise but it is not objectionable...biggest diff I have noticed is vibration now the temps have dropped up here...mostly smooth out after drivin awhile..

you do your own work or did somebody else do it? start with the pinion preload and go from there...Merry Xmas!

l8tr

PEACE
Old 12-22-2019, 12:45 PM   #8
Dbunch9

Its a stock 1le diff with an LPW cover, i never touched the gears while i had it. What do you mean by check the preload? Does anyone else here have the bmr delrin race bushings? Thats what i put in, maybe I'll try motor mounts next too. I know the motor shakes like a mother with the cam in, i bet those are shot too
Old 12-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #9
Dbunch9

Sorry to bring this back up again but im starting to notice a groaning noise when i turn sharp and the howling is getting worse i feel like. Im a little concerned