Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #1
nbostaph

Drives: Yellow 2014 2SS Convertible
Ideas for custom seats

I recently purchased a yellow 2014 convertible SS and would like to install yellow leather seats to give it a little more pop with the top down. I loved the look of the factory IOM with the orange interior and am going for something similar. I was thinking something like attached.

I've been looking at https://www.leatherseats.com, but they're not being very helpful in terms of customization or instructions. I'm also having trouble deciding where to color (yellow backs for sure, but yellow headrest or black headrest with yellow stitched SS?) and where to go leather and where to go vinyl.

So I was hoping that some other owners who have already done this could post some photos and give me some recommendations on the best place to purchase them.
Attached Images

nbostaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
davesnever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I really like the seats as you have them shown here, the emblems will contrast on the headrest better this way. I have always hated the way the side bolsters on the leather seats have wrinkled so badly and so quick, I would almost be tempted to go all vinyl. I know it sounds cheapo but maybe they would last longer. The leather in my car looks great everywhere except for the side bolsters, too bad they don't give you the option to change that.
davesnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:10 AM   #3
G701LE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IBM silver stipes
I vote for those seats with a black headrest and yellow SS

Mods = Not enough....
G701LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:49 AM   #4
davesnever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Hey I wonder if they would send you a swatch of the types of material you are considering? Just a thought
davesnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:07 PM   #5
nbostaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesnever View Post
I really like the seats as you have them shown here, the emblems will contrast on the headrest better this way. I have always hated the way the side bolsters on the leather seats have wrinkled so badly and so quick, I would almost be tempted to go all vinyl. I know it sounds cheapo but maybe they would last longer. The leather in my car looks great everywhere except for the side bolsters, too bad they don't give you the option to change that.
Are the factory leather seats all leather? I know that many factory leather seats use vinyl on the side supports. Maybe it's actually the vinyl that's showing wear and not the leather? I always thought leather was more resilient than vinyl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesnever View Post
Hey I wonder if they would send you a swatch of the types of material you are considering? Just a thought
Good thought. I contacted them and they're sending samples of the leather and vinyl in the colors I'm looking at. I think it's still going to be tough to visualize though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G701LE
I vote for those seats with a black headrest and yellow SS
I think I like that look too, but I'd love to see it done both ways in a Camaro so I could compare.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:34 PM   #6
Stewart

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS & Ground effects
I like the seats that you show, but with a couple changes. I would do the double stitching in the Yellow. Leave the headrest black, as no matter how hard you try they will get dirty and stained. I would have SS embroidered in yellow on the black head rest. Just my 2 cents.

MY BUILD LINK: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484260
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:24 PM   #7
Synner

Drives: cars
Check out Katzkin
https://katzkin.com/choose-your-design/
Customization is easy and I don't know anyone that hasn't liked what they've received.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:09 AM   #8
nbostaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Check out Katzkin
https://katzkin.com/choose-your-design/
Customization is easy and I don't know anyone that hasn't liked what they've received.
Wowsers; they anticipate $2000. I was having trouble justifying $1000, so this may not be an option for me. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #9
OHIO SPEED

Drives: 2010 1LT v6 Twin Turbo
seats

pm sent
Attached Images

OHIO SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:16 PM   #10
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
why not get your existing seats redone by a good local shop?if they are leather they could just replace the center insert with the color you want.i have noticed the side bolsters on my leather seats are wrinkled too.im thinking they are leather since they look like an old couch i had that was leather.kind of disappointing but what can you do?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:43 PM   #11
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I did almost those exact seats from www.leatherseats.com in my Rally Yellow Camaro. Their customer service is top notch, quality is great, and a the covers are a perfect fit. I don't think they offer any sort of embroidery, but you should be able to take it to a local store and have it done to the headrests. I know the hat shops in the malls around here will do it to anything you bring in. You want Sunrise as your color, Maize is more orange, but if you ordered samples you will see for yourself. The wrinkles in my pics flattened out after a couple days. PS you need 114 hog rings to do a complete cover.
Attached Images

Last edited by Talladega; 01-01-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:27 AM   #12
nbostaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talladega View Post
I did almost those exact seats from www.leatherseats.com in my Rally Yellow Camaro. Their customer service is top notch, quality is great, and a the covers are a perfect fit. I don't think they offer any sort of embroidery, but you should be able to take it to a local store and have it done to the headrests. I know the hat shops in the malls around here will do it to anything you bring in. You want Sunrise as your color, Maize is more orange, but if you ordered samples you will see for yourself. The wrinkles in my pics flattened out after a couple days. PS you need 114 hog rings to do a complete cover.
Thanks so much for the post Talladega; the photos really helped me out.

I like their website, but I was concerned about their customer service. When I called the rep seemed to have limited product knowledge (and people skills!) I was also told they don't offer instructions, while I was hoping for something a little more like Crutchfield's step-by-step sheets.

Did you find the installation itself a very difficult job? I enjoy basic DIY projects, but have never done anything with fabric or seating/furniture before. Also, do you know what size hog rings are needed?
Old 01-02-2018, 08:31 PM   #13
Talladega

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbostaph View Post
Thanks so much for the post Talladega; the photos really helped me out.

I like their website, but I was concerned about their customer service. When I called the rep seemed to have limited product knowledge (and people skills!) I was also told they don't offer instructions, while I was hoping for something a little more like Crutchfield's step-by-step sheets.

Did you find the installation itself a very difficult job? I enjoy basic DIY projects, but have never done anything with fabric or seating/furniture before. Also, do you know what size hog rings are needed?
Here is the rings and pliers I bought to do this. They are really cheap and don't expect anything great from them. Literally they are smaller than your hand. If I were a professional I would buy a much better pair but for the one time use it worked just fine.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had never done anything like this before. My buddy who also has no experience and I did it in about 8 hours for all three seats. As an amateur you will want someone to help you that way you have 4 hands to pull and stretch things. Start with the rear back rest then the rear seat those are the easiest and will allow you go get your feet wet.

Watch this video it gives all the instructions you need. It is for a Gen 6 but most of it is the same for a Gen 5. Their tip to vacuum the headrest is a must and really quite amazing in person to see, I used a shop vac to do mine.

Beyond that I would say rent a professional wall paper steamer from a tool rental place, it cost me $30 for a day. Steam the foam in the seat prior to putting the new leather on this will return the foam to the original shape thus making the new leather fit much tighter. Then when done you can steam the leather and make it "shrink" in tight. This video shows it pretty good what happens with foam.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:35 PM   #14
Talladega

And make sure you get at least 114 hog rings otherwise you have to drive around with a towel on the drivers seat for a couple days since you left that for last and ran out of rings on a Saturday so you can't go buy more. Not that I know from experience........