Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #1
SSNvMiner

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS L99
Battery Saver Active??

2015 2SS - 15,000mi .. We're into 2hrs of a 2.5hr trip and I see this 'Battery Saver Active' pop-up on my dash where the MPH usually is. No other alarms or chimes. I pull up the volts and see 12.4V. We continue to drive to make an important Dr. appt. After the appt. I fire her up and see the charging system working as usual. I stop by an AutoZone and have them check for active codes and there were none. He hooked up to the battery and every thing checked out as good on their reader ie: alternator, battery, diodes and something else. I decided to head home and about 2hr into the return trip the same 'Battery Saver Active" pops up.

I made an appt. with my Dealer to have it checked out while still under the 3yr/36mo warranty. Just so I don't head in blind. . . Does anyone have an idea as to what the cause is? I also replace the battery with an AutoZone Platinum about 2 weeks ago because I didn't plug in my trickle charger and the battery went dead several times.

This is a new issue as we have traveled several times on 10hr trips with no problems.
Thanks for any advice.

2015 2SS/RS L99 Catch-can, SW cat-back, CAI, ]Range
SSNvMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:15 PM   #2
SSNvMiner

Did a little more research and discovered that several people have posted the same concern. Several reply's stated that it was because of idling too long with different pully's, too running amps, too bad alternator. I have stock pully's and radio and mine came on after going 80 - 90 mph for 2 hrs. I'm going with a bad alternator. . . We'll find out Friday when I take-er in to the dealership.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:41 AM   #3
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
if he's still under 3/36 basic, virtually any repair needed would be covered by warranty
Old 10-05-2017, 05:49 AM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
The Battery Saver Active message comes up when the charging system can't keep up with the load on the battery.

Although it's never happened to me, the shop manual states that the message could come up when the headlights, fog lights, and too many accessories are all on.

But then there's the fact that you already had to replace the battery on a 2015. That's not normal. So either there's a drain going on that you have't found, or your car sits too long between rides. You shouldn't have to use a battery tender except for winter storage.

If there's a drain, your dealer should be able to find it.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:14 AM   #5
SSNvMiner

Will keep ya'll informed on the outcome.

The only drain that is on the battery from my end is a CompuStar alarm, V1 detector (hard wired in) but shuts off when the engine is turned off and a Range AFM delete (which I unplug when she's parked for days)

Old 10-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #6
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Your Alternator should be putting out more than 12.4 volts while you're driving. Should be closer to 14.4v .
Old 10-07-2017, 01:27 PM   #7
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
Your Alternator should be putting out more than 12.4 volts while you're driving. Should be closer to 14.4v .
Actually, the voltage will vary to suit the battery's state of charge. On a long drive, say an hour or more, a healthy battery will be fully charged and the charging voltage will drop down close to 12 volts.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:04 PM   #8
1Coopgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Actually, the voltage will vary to suit the battery's state of charge. On a long drive, say an hour or more, a healthy battery will be fully charged and the charging voltage will drop down close to 12 volts.
True but the engine and accessories run off the alternator. At least they use too. To test the alternator back when I use to work in our gas station we would disconnect the battery , if the car died the Alternator was bad if the car stayed running the Battery was suspect . Kind of think this still holds true even in this day and age. I could be wrong .
Old 10-08-2017, 07:44 AM   #9
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
True but the engine and accessories run off the alternator. At least they use too. To test the alternator back when I use to work in our gas station we would disconnect the battery , if the car died the Alternator was bad if the car stayed running the Battery was suspect . Kind of think this still holds true even in this day and age. I could be wrong .
All the current in your car comes from the battery.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #10
SSNvMiner

Well the dealership found no issues with charging system or the battery. What was stated earlier is correct!! It's not like the old day's, the computer tells the alternator when to charge the battery.. depending on the battery volts. Upon starting the engine the charge is 14+v and then drops down to 12.4v. I ran home with the headslights, a/c, and the stereo on and had no issues. I know put my code reader in the trunk so that if it comes on again I can possibly get a code and have something for the dealer to track down.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:40 PM   #11
1Coopgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNvMiner View Post
Well the dealership found no issues with charging system or the battery. What was stated earlier is correct!! It's not like the old day's, the computer tells the alternator when to charge the battery.. depending on the battery volts. Upon starting the engine the charge is 14+v and then drops down to 12.4v. I ran home with the headslights, a/c, and the stereo on and had no issues. I know put my code reader in the trunk so that if it comes on again I can possibly get a code and have something for the dealer to track down.
Good to know . I learned something new which is always good .
Old 11-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #12
DarthSnarky

Drives: 15 Hot Red RS
Not that it's related to an issue while driving but the dead battery after sitting a few days could be a recall on the firmware of the onstar system. Mine had that problem first 2 vacations and dealer found a problem with the onstar not shutting off - ever. Recently had a week off and sure enough the car started like nothing.
DarthSnarky is offline   Reply With Quote