The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #1
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Drove a Huracan . . .

And wasn't impressed.

Got invited to do an Extreme Experience at NOLA Motorsports Park last week. Basically, you get 3 hot laps in a supercar of your choice. They had a Porsche GT3, Ferrari 458, Corvette Grand Sport, and a Lamborghini Huracan. I decided on the Huracan because my friend that invited me wanted the 458, I figured that I could get a co-drive in a GT3 a few friends own, and the Vette was simply my car minus 2 seats.

First impression of the Huracan was good. It just looks gorgeous. But, when I got in the driver's seat, the impression wore off. Kinda cheesy. Plastic buttons. Stupid, plastic flip cover on the start button that wasn't even spring loaded (you have to push it back down. Sure, there's suede covering the instrument binnacle, but the A/C and other controls are some cheap-looking, plastic-covered buttons. The seat is really comfy, though.

Driving it was equally disappointing. Yes, it accelerates pretty well. But, nothing amazing. Looked at some dyno numbers for a Huracan later, and I can see why. Zero torque and HP comes in REALLY late. Certainly doesn't feel that much more powerful than a stock SS.

Brakes were OK. But, again, not that much better (if at all) than my SS with the 6-piston Brembos.

Handling was nice. Flat through turns. Great grip. Very easy to handle at the limit. It has a nice wiggle in the rear when threshold braking, which allows you to start rotating the car at the beginning of the turn.

In conclusion, it's certainly a nice car. I don't mean that it's crap. But, as far as a $250k car compared to a $50k Camaro SS (not to mention a 1LE or ZL1), there's no way that it's THAT good. In terms of price, it's perhaps $20k better than an SS. And, most of that money would be spent on slightly upgraded interior coverings, seats, and exterior upgrades.

Video of the drive

https://youtu.be/iywrbK3tJNk
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
I don't have experience with the Hurrican, but I did get a great ride in a Diablo once. My dad's neighbor had one & told him I was a car guy, so he offered me a ride once. The owner had a custom header system on it, & boy, I was impressed with the look & sound every time I saw him take it out. We did a long freeway on ramp acceleration run & through some back road hilly curves. The acceleration felt impressive, the cornering was impressive, & look of the car, well it's a Diablo. Brakes were excellent. Interior wasn't plush, and getting in & out was a chore. I hope to remember that ride until the day I die.

But the sound of that screaming engine right behind me was glorious. I'm sure his header system also contributed to that.

But the car was unreliable as Hell, it was down as often as it was up. Had to replace the crankshaft once, so was down for months waiting for parts. And expensive upkeep that he eventually bailed out of. He was a young guy who founded a software company & sold it before the dot com bust, so had the funds for things like that
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #3
locktyght

Drives: 2023 LT2 Redline
Put down a few good ones despite the criticisms.

Shout out to my man Carl, pretty good autox buddy of mine. Great Dude.
locktyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #4
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
They definitely look and sound amazing on the street.

The torque curve is very sportbike looking. 6k+ is where the party is at. The magazines get mid 10's around 133 mph in the 1/4 mile. That's not slow by any stretch.

Like any exotic, you're not paying for billet ivory window switches (that would be when you call Mulliner at Bentley), you're paying for insane design and a scintillating ownership experience. A not-a-car-guy friend of mine bought an Alfa 4C with the horrible assumption that more price = more quality. That couldn't be further from the truth. You're paying for the sexy design, not a functional trunk light and Lexus-esque panel gaps. Price you pay and quality can be mutually exclusive.

If you're trying to rationalize the price, it's already not a car for you. You buy it because most people can't and it makes a massive splash during a night on the town.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #5
00 Trans Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by locktyght View Post
Put down a few good ones despite the criticisms.

Shout out to my man Carl, pretty good autox buddy of mine. Great Dude.
Yeah, we hit it off immediately. He's a great instructor. I was serious when I said I should have listened to him more. Being unfamiliar with the car, I initially overestimated its braking ability. Then, underestimated it.

This was the 1.8 mile course, so it's hard to fine similar lap times for other cars/drivers. In fact, it was the first time I'd ever done this particular configuration.

My first lap was 1:32, 2nd was 1:33. Pretty sure a 1:2x would be possible with a little more car familiarity.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:23 AM   #6
locktyght

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
Yeah, we hit it off immediately. He's a great instructor. I was serious when I said I should have listened to him more. Being unfamiliar with the car, I initially overestimated its braking ability. Then, underestimated it.

This was the 1.8 mile course, so it's hard to fine similar lap times for other cars/drivers. In fact, it was the first time I'd ever done this particular configuration.

My first lap was 1:32, 2nd was 1:33. Pretty sure a 1:2x would be possible with a little more car familiarity.
Search youtube for nasa nola July 16, there should be quite a few videos, it was a busy weekend.

1:27's maybe 1:26's are definitely possible with more laps. The braking zones always get me, consistency is key, and I very rarely hit the same marks twice in a row.

The 1.8 mile configuration was the first track day ever for me, mind you this was in my 15 1LE and day 2 of 2 so I had plenty of trial and error, but I seem to remember clicking off consistent 1:28xx on Harry lap timer, but I cant find my folder currently.

this video starts just before start finish, cross around 9:13 and finish around 10:45, aproxx a 1:30 lap.

https://youtu.be/AT6AyVPIx3M?t=9m5s

Old 04-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #7
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
Interesting take. I enjoy the idea of a Huracan one day. I hope driving a gen6 SS daily doesn't cause a 'thrill ride' let down when that time comes.
LuvMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #8
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
I've heard some complaints about the Gallardo being too clinical for a supercar.

All I can say is, I drove the 458 Spider and it was awesome.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #9
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
Heading over to Italy next month and have rented a Ferrari for an hour. Should be a hoot.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #10
locktyght

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Ed View Post
Heading over to Italy next month and have rented a Ferrari for an hour. Should be a hoot.
With the extra extra insurance right? Right?
Old 04-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #11
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
I've heard some complaints about the Gallardo being too clinical for a supercar.

All I can say is, I drove the 458 Spider and it was awesome.
Drove an LP-560 e-Gear from Extreme Experience around Autobahn Country Club.

What a total snooze fest. It was neat in only that I was driving a Lambo. Otherwise, that eGear thing was always in the wrong gear and when you hit the gas and the time it took to decide what to do, you're in to the next corner and braking anyways... Definitely not picking that car again.. I was up for the McLaren they had, but I got bumped (much friendlier than United) to the Lambo w money back and some swag.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #12
00 Trans Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by locktyght View Post
Search youtube for nasa nola July 16, there should be quite a few videos, it was a busy weekend.

1:27's maybe 1:26's are definitely possible with more laps. The braking zones always get me, consistency is key, and I very rarely hit the same marks twice in a row.

The 1.8 mile configuration was the first track day ever for me, mind you this was in my 15 1LE and day 2 of 2 so I had plenty of trial and error, but I seem to remember clicking off consistent 1:28xx on Harry lap timer, but I cant find my folder currently.

this video starts just before start finish, cross around 9:13 and finish around 10:45, aproxx a 1:30 lap.

https://youtu.be/AT6AyVPIx3M?t=9m5s
Good info.

I really wanted to get my SS on the same track, same day, etc. Even me, with similar familiarity with the configuration. Would have been a great way to tell how much faster (or . . . dare I say . . . SLOWER) a Huracan is than an SS.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #13
locktyght

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
Good info.

I really wanted to get my SS on the same track, same day, etc. Even me, with similar familiarity with the configuration. Would have been a great way to tell how much faster (or . . . dare I say . . . SLOWER) a Huracan is than an SS.
If you can get away, they have an SCCA track Night In America there tomorrow. I think its like 150 for 3 20 minute sessions. It will be the 2.75mi configuration.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #14
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
Good perspective, but I'd still like to drive one!!

Years ago I built an 86 Corvette Roadster and bumped the motor to a 383 Stroker that dynod out at almost 500 tq and 353 hp at the wheels. I followed a guy in a Testarossa onto the freeway on-ramp. As soon as he could he slid out to the left lane and jumped on it. I followed in the right lane and immediately caught and pulled past him. I hesitated by his side long enough to give him the "come with me" wave and then pulled on by. At 150 mph he was probably a good 10 cars behind, before he gave up. I went on my way and didn't see him again.

A few days later I get a call at my office from a guy asking if I owned a yellow Corvette Roadster. I hesitantly admitted that I did and asked who was asking. He replied with "I'm the guy in the Testarossa you humiliated on the highway the other day"!

We had a good laugh and I later went over to his house to checkout his car. He said he'd just tuned his car, put new brakes, and a new Toomie (sp?) exhaust on it to the tune of $16,000. I told him he had more into his exhaust, brakes, and tune than I had in my entire car!

What will always stick in my mind was the sound of that Ferrari sound... as I went by!
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote