Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #1
sspade

Drives: 2015 Camaro LFX A6
Speaker Upgrade Question

Curious about what others have done to upgrade stock speakers?

Not looking to spend a ton of money or have the loudest craziest sound system on the planet by any means.

Just looking to potentially upgrade my door speakers and tweeters without hacking anything up.

Would appreciate some suggestions on direct replacement for the stock units.

Looking for quality, clear sound.
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
sspade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Replacing the amp keeping the stock speakers will do more for you than replacing the stockers the amp is the problem in these cars, not enough power.

Best speakers I've used for the money with low power were Hertz dieci they sounded good for under 75w a channel. Over 75w a channel jl audio or focal. I run focal myself.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Not looking to spend a ton of money ....
$50 qualifies as your description to many people and with enough research, you will quickly realize a good portion of what is on the market is simply overpriced. Ultimately, you need to physically walk into several audio shops and listen to exactly what your ears perceive as quality to determine what you personally want to put in your car.

I can't stand how flat and hollow every speaker made my JL sounds other than their W6 (sub) and any Focal set under $1,000/pr sounds like junk that can be bested by half a dozen manufactures for under $199/pr but, these are my opinions based on experience. Each person is going to hear something differently however and you may fall in love with the JL-C5s without ever hearing a quality Phoenix Gold or Kappa for 1/4 the price.

Other than name spamming manufacture names (again), there are literally hundreds of threads on this topic in these forums.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #4
Mudgett

Drives: 2013 SS/RS
*NOT a paid endorsement.*

For concert quality sound, Ive always preferred the Infinity component speakers. They have a wide frequency range that can pick up the highest of highs, the lowest of lows, and everything in between. Reasonably priced too.

When the time comes, I will replace all of my stock speakers with Infinity direct replacement component speakers, maybe bump up the amp to get 100w - 125w per channel, and call it good.

YRMV. Best advice I can give is to research for at least a few days before parting with your hard earned cash. Hope this helps point you towards the end result you are looking for.

On a separate note, concerning boom boom systems, Infinity's 10" subs also have a wide frequency range (or they used to, always research before buying), paired with a class d amp...look out. I had one Infinity 10" in a home made "Bose" style box with a 400w class d amp that used to pound WAY harder than my buddy's 2 Fosgate 12's that had 1000w running to each (also in a custom box). I spent all of a few hundred bucks. My buddy spent a few thousand and he was BENT that my one 10 outshined his two 12's by far.
Mudgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
mpsgolf

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformer
I thought sound quality was ok but lacking bass. I added a subwoofer in trunk with dedicated amp. Sounds better! I built the speaker and amp boxes to fit my trunk.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321730
Mods: trunk subwoofer and amp, LED lighting (fogs, interior, trunk), skip shift eliminator, CAI cold air kit, Vmax ported throttle body, Stainless Works retro chambered cat back, JBA Cat4ward SS ceramic coated headers
Potential Next Mods: Tune, F&R sway bars, rear cradle bushing inserts and trailing arms
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #6
Mudgett

Drives: 2013 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
I thought sound quality was ok but lacking bass. I added a subwoofer in trunk with dedicated amp. Sounds better! I built the speaker and amp boxes to fit my trunk.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321730
Looks nice!
Mudgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:31 PM   #7
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
I recommend MB Quart PVM216. I had about 4 people recommend them to me before I purchased them. Tons of good midrange and the crossovers are beefy. You can read more in my signature link below (post #53). They seem to be on closeout: http://www.caraudioguru.com/mb-quart...aker-system-2/

Last edited by yzark99; 03-17-2017 at 08:34 PM. Reason: speeling
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:14 PM   #8
sspade

Damn. That MB Quart set up seems to be very fairly priced. Can you confirm these are a direct fit/replacement for stock door speakers/tweeters?

Im looking to spend 300$-400$ max including installation.
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
Old 03-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #9
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
I didn't use the kit tweeters. They are too wide for the hole mount inside the sail body. You could probably use a hole saw and surface mount them on the sail housings, or find ones that fit inside the stock space.

The mids fit if you use an adapter or gut the stock housings. More info in my mods.

I bought speaker plug adapters, and soldered extensions to them that run back to the crossovers. From there, 2 sets of wires go to the mids and tweeters. The stock wiring is fine for about 150 watts if you don't want new holes in your doors. I have the crossovers floating inside the doors behind the rear pocket, on top of the door seal liner to keep them dry. I tried taping them to the liner; but even Gorilla tape can't stick to it.

I have a 80 watt Boston amp running the front speakers, and 16 on the dial is twice as loud as stock was. Midrange and high bass is night and day compared to stock.
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #10
sspade

Can someone post a link or picture of the base speaker system in a 2015 Camaro?

Also... how difficult are our door panels to come off without breaking clips etc?

Trying to determine if I need to hire a "professional" or if this is something I can handle on my own...
Old 03-19-2017, 07:44 PM   #11
sspade

Also... just got a response from a local guy in Lynchburg who does car audio who said he would replace my stock door speakers with "Pioneer 3way" speakers. Did not say exact model. Does this mean anything to anyone?

What are your thoughts? Apparently these are direct replacements for what I have and he still doing research on the tweeters...
Old 03-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #12
sspade

In case its not obvious already - I am not very well versed in audio systems...

Need help!

Just looking to upgrade my door speakers and tweeters to something a little louder. Clarity and crispness are most important.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:26 PM   #13
G701LE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IBM silver stipes
I know nothing of audio but, that I like my music. With that said. What is an amp that you could just "slap" in?

Mods = Not enough....
G701LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #14
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
I wouldnt want 3 way speakers in the doors. Keep them seperate components with the woofer in the door, and the tweeter mounted on the window sill.

You want 2-way, but seperate components. Not coaxial.
Jazzzed is offline   Reply With Quote