Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
asnutter77

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS L99
Headers

What is the difference between shorty headers and long tube headers? What different results will you get from each?
asnutter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #2
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
Shorty headers won't gain much power but they are legal everywhere unlike long tubes
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
Aaron at SDPC

Drives: Camaro Z28
In my opinion the shorties aren't worth doing. Leave the factory manifolds alone or swap to a long tube header setup.
Aaron at SDPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Va got emissions right? Same here Md. put in JBA shorties and HF cat, plus tune will pass all tests...good to go..unless you have a friendly test station?

BTW - just shorties wit stock cats is the kicker vs long tube, they always have either HF or delete, stock cats are the most restrictive part in the exhaust..IMHO...
Old 10-18-2016, 06:02 PM   #5
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron at SDPC View Post
In my opinion the shorties aren't worth doing. Leave the factory manifolds alone or swap to a long tube header setup.
+1. There has been cases when switching out stock manifolds for shorties you actually lose power, according to others. In my opinion, longtubes are the way to go. Really get some power out of those bad boys. The dude before me installed BBK shorties on the car and I cant wait to get them off
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #6
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
long tubes require usually a change in the delayed response code from the front o2 sensors and deleting the rears, but have huge sound gain from improved flow with high flow cats to remove rasp they are a favorite and gain with tune 40 hp as the tune is needed anyway for things that really help like removing torque management, changing fan on off , shift points, etc etc Some have done short tubes with one place making a high flow cat that's the stock length of the stock cats but the gains and sound are lessened considerably so most go big or go home and screw the warranty or having to pass smogs.......no smog here except for big city liberals.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:21 PM   #7
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Yeah here in Kali have smog to worry about. I have jba shorties, hi flows and a smog friendly tune. With those I got 32 hp and 24 lb ft of tq. Hp gain at 6100 rpm is 44. At smog will must put stock cats back on
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:47 PM   #8
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Yeah here in Kali have smog to worry about. I have jba shorties, hi flows and a smog friendly tune. With those I got 32 hp and 24 lb ft of tq. Hp gain at 6100 rpm is 44. At smog will must put stock cats back on
I know they are crazy on the smog test in Cali .. NY is pushing for the same laws now. I went with bbk shorties and am happy and adding solo HFC . Are you saying you swap your HFC's back to stock cats every time you have to renew for inspection?
Old 10-19-2016, 08:10 PM   #9
sscamaro89
2Ss89

Drives: 2ss/Bumblee Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
hey man im here in cali as well and yeah they suck, headers is mine next step was going with shorties but really want long tubes. how do u like and did the shorties and cats make your car louder?
Old 10-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #10
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Op....im making 360 rwhp and 400 ft lbs of torque with basic boltons with my L99. Shorties with hi flow cats do offer sone gains. I need to be emissions friendly so i have the shorties with hi flows. Everybody telling you shorties with hi flows do nothing should look at Padres build thread on here. He showed gains "at the track" after replacing his stock manifolds with shorties and hi flows. People saying shorties offers no gains are simply repeating what others have posted without any facts......like alot of topics on here. Sure longtubes offer a little more gains. . but Padre proved in real world situations they do offer some gains. Longtubes are popular for sure. But for us that have emissions to worry about shorties with hi flows are a proven decent option.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #11
Motarded421

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I would get car inspected and then put on long tubes... Swap them back to the stock crap for inspection the next year...

The sound alone is, in my opinion, worth the hassle to swap everything out every year.

It doesn't seem like it would be to much work to swap once a year either. I did my install in about 4 hours, now that I've done it before I'm sure I could knock it out in around 2.
Motarded421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:48 AM   #12
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
[QUOTE=rontammy0;9367135]Op....im making 360 rwhp and 400 ft lbs of torque with basic boltons with my L99. Shorties with hi flow cats do offer sone gains. I need to be emissions friendly so i have the shorties with hi flows. Everybody telling you shorties with hi flows do nothing should look at Padres build thread on here. He showed gains "at the track" after replacing his stock manifolds with shorties and hi flows. People saying shorties offers no gains are simply repeating what others have posted without any facts......like alot of topics on here. Sure longtubes offer a little more gains. . but Padre proved in real world situations they do offer some gains. Longtubes are popular for sure. But for us that have emissions to worry about shorties with hi flows are a proven decent option.[/QUOT
+1...and to the question does removing cats change sound? You betcha! Under 3k or so just a nice deep rumble(wife can here me enter neighborhood) but step on the loud button and over 4k...watch out...screams like a banshee enough to wake the dead(or the sleepin drivers your passin!)