The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-18-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Cadillac Reveals Escala Concept

Cadillac Unveils Escala Concept, Previewing Future Design Direction
General Motors

August 18, 2016

• Concept showcases future design and technical systems in development
  • Flagship Sedan is a concept for a more expressive, expansive companion to the recently launched CT6
  • Dual-Theme interior includes Curved OLED displays, next-gen connectivity designs, ingenious details

The Escala Concept debuts in California tonight, introducing the next evolution of Cadillac design and previewing the craftsmanship and technology being developed for many future models. Following a series of private previews, Escala will be displayed this weekend at the annual Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance.

The Escala Concept previews the design and technical ideas driving the next phase of Cadillac’s ongoing expansion.

“Escala is a concept with two clear objectives,” said Johan de Nysschen, president of Global Cadillac. “First, Escala is a statement of intent for the next iteration of the Cadillac design language, and also technical concepts in development for future Cadillac models. Secondly, Escala builds Cadillac’s aspirational character, signaling the brand’s return to the pinnacle of premium.”

Cadillac has released a new slate of models bristling with expressive design and exhilarating performance, driver’s cars taking Cadillac into a new chapter of its storied 114-year history.

“Escala is a concept car, but one based upon the unrelenting rise of our product substance,” de Nysschen said. “Depending on the development of market segment for large luxury sedans, Escala is a potential addition to our existing product plan.”

Escala — Spanish for “scale”— is a concept for a larger, more elite and expressive companion to the recently launched 2016 Cadillac CT6, the brand’s remarkable new range-topping prestige sedan. Escala is also the third in a series of concepts Cadillac has debuted at Pebble Beach in recent years, following the Ciel convertible (2011) and Elmiraj coupe (2013).

Escala is designed to be both a driver’s car and an indulgent flagship sedan. The large 4-door sedan features an expansive liftback design emphasizing the car’s considerable scale and versatility. At 210.5 inches in overall length, Escala is roughly 6 inches longer than today’s CT6.

Escala features a new and evolved face of Cadillac design that will begin appearing on production models soon. This includes a new expression of Cadillac’s vertical lighting, a brand signature since 1948. Organic light emitting diode (OLED) lighting elements are thinner and set deep within the fascia, creating a sinister look, day and night.

The concept’s details invite closer inspection, including a three-dimensional precision pattern in the grille design and 22-inch wheels with two layers of spokes.

“This concept shares how Cadillac will bring forward a new experience that is uniquely American, and unmistakably Cadillac,” says Andrew Smith, executive director of Cadillac Global Design. “Escala is an expressive symbol of reward and an exhilarating driving experience. On the interior, we pushed further. It’s about precision and ingenuity in craftsmanship, and the artistic integration of technology.”

Escala features a “dual personality” interior crafted with distinctly different zones: The front is about intensely focused modern technology, while the rear delivers relaxation.

“My brief to the designers was to create a car you desperately want to drive, and also one in which you want to be driven,” Smith said. “So rather than a single design, this interior consists of two themes. It was an opportunity for our designers to break the rules a little bit, exactly what Cadillac should do from time to time.”

An array of three curved OLED screens is a prominent feature in the front of the cabin. The very thin, curved displays are layered in front of the driver, with the back sides wrapped in hand-stitched leather embossed with the Cadillac script. The array of screens consolidate the traditional “cluster” of driving gauges with the “center stack” into one integrated unit.

Escala includes new designs for connectivity and control, providing a prototype for the user experience in development for future production models. The system features a central control module that enables the driver to execute tactile commands across the spectrum of connectivity functions, in addition to voice and gesture control technology. Inside the controller sits a new edition of Cadillac’s “flying Goddess” icon, a nod to the brand’s illustrious heritage.

Like all Cadillac models today, the interior is assembled using hand cut-and-sewn techniques. However, Escala presents several new and unique touches, blending overt luxury with covert technology. Escala makes broad use of hand-tailored fabric on the door trim and seating areas. Inspired by suiting material used by Cadillac’s partners in the fashion industry, the fabric provides a new level of hand-applied craftsmanship and color, unique in today’s auto interior landscape.

The Escala Concept utilizes Cadillac’s new RWD-centric large luxury car architecture, featuring one of the world’s most advanced body structures, which debuted on the new CT6. The mixed-material construction enables unprecedented agility and efficiency.

Escala uses a new 4.2-liter twin-turbo V-8 engine, a prototype of a new system in development for future Cadillac models. The advanced engine utilizes Active Fuel Management technology, enabling fuel-saving 4-cylinder operation.

Photography

Old 08-18-2016, 10:08 PM   #2
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Holy Shit..

I love this new direction!
Old 08-18-2016, 11:36 PM   #3
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Looks like an ugly XJL
Old 08-19-2016, 12:15 AM   #4
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Looks weak. The front end is kind of aggressive. It looks like a sports coupe they took and stretched to fit another door on.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:24 AM   #5
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Is this "use the logo EVEYWHERE" thing the direction luxury is headed?

Linoln's new grille design is full of the "star" and now this one is full is the "crest".

Also, what's the deal with the steering wheels, first the odd/awful looking one in the Navigator concept, now this not so utterly divergent, in comparison, style in the Escala?
Old 08-19-2016, 05:33 AM   #6
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Every angle of this looks exactly like a Jag. I don't like it. Cadillac needs to keep this in its current concept phase and keep on working on a better design.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:35 AM   #7
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
I think it looks too streched out..back quarter panel trunk is a little short..at least it's a shot at something different
Old 08-19-2016, 05:37 AM   #8
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I don't see Caddy in that design. It looks more Chrysler to me. Maybe in ten years I won't feel that as designs evolve.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:39 AM   #9
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
A. It looks similar to a Bentley.

B. The price will undoubtedly be north of $100k.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:12 AM   #10
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
I really like the interior, and thing the material choices are much more interesting than just putting leather everywhere.

I also love that its a hatchback.

I like the front end, except the Ford Fusion hood, and the fact that the production version will be undoubtedly be less aggressive to make room for bigger headlights. I don't like the rest of the exterior though. Ugly Jag is a good description, and Cadillac needs to let the vertical lights die. I don't understand why they keep trying to rebrand Cadillac as a luxury contender, but keep using design cues from when the brand was at its worst.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:50 AM   #11
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Looks like a hot mess to me. No where near as good as the Elmiraj concept IMO. I hate the rear end, it just looks confused to me.

Now the interior though, that looks like it has some serious potential!
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:05 AM   #12
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I don't mind the rear. It's the front that I'm not sure about.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #13
khell86

Drives: 2012 Ford Focus
The front kind of looks like the new Genesis whatever car. I don't think they needed to change the front end any. Just the side and rears of the current models.
khell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #14
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
I think it's pretty slick. Don't hate any of the design choices.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote