The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #1
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Car and Driver uncovers trouble with Corvette Stingray's LT1 V8

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/08/c...rouble-report/
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
No, excuse you sir, you are wrong. Clearly this is impossible since GM makes perfect engines and a flaw is impossible.

/sarcasm

That sucks tho, but it's just the teething issues of the first production run of a brand new generation. I am sure the issues will get ironed out, tho hopefully before a retail customers engine decides to off itself
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Supposedly was due to an oil filter issue

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
I am on my third LS7 and I have heard of a number of failures like this in the C7s. Not enough to say there is a huge problem, but something is awry with enough cars to be a concern.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #5
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Stuff breaks. These things get pushed hard, you'd almost expect that, right? if someone's driving a Vette I sure as hell hope they're pushing it hard!!
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
Stuff breaks. These things get pushed hard, you'd almost expect that, right? if someone's driving a Vette I sure as hell hope they're pushing it hard!!
They don't around here. back in May, when we have a great Chevy-thing going on before the Indy 500, we get to cruise from the dealer to the track AND get to take a lap around the track. Both Camaros and Corvettes participate. During the cruise, the slowest drivers are the vettes (repeatedly told to speed up/catch up). Then on the track, you are not supposed to pass anyone, but they want people to have fun with the car too. The only cars I know to get passed, were vettes, by Camaros. Really, you get to drive on the Indy 500, get to open it up, and you then only go 50 mph... wow!

Me and my Camaro friends almost all topped out at 95 down the back stretch.. the vettes, well they were apparently there to 'soak it in'.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
Supposedly was due to an oil filter issue
" ...it turns out that the culprit in this case wasn’t an overly aggressive driver – it was the oil filter.

"The oil filter in this particular 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray was faulty in a way that allowed small particles of metal to break free and enter the engine lubrication system. Once these tiny fragments of sharp metal worked their way through the engine, they became lodged in the bearing assembly of one of the connecting rods and over time, this caused the bearing to wear quickly. Once that bearing was no longer providing the smooth travel which it was designed to support, it was only a matter of time before other components began to fail."

http://www.torquenews.com/106/car-dr...me-more-common

I am, currently, a believer in "first oil change @ 3,000 miles", myself. If there IS any trash in the engine, and many can/will/do, get it out early. Many of my vehicles, in the past, had their first oil AND filter change @ 1,000 miles. And I've NEVER had a catastrophic failure.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #8
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN-OH JOE View Post
" ...it turns out that the culprit in this case wasn’t an overly aggressive driver – it was the oil filter.

"The oil filter in this particular 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray was faulty in a way that allowed small particles of metal to break free and enter the engine lubrication system. Once these tiny fragments of sharp metal worked their way through the engine, they became lodged in the bearing assembly of one of the connecting rods and over time, this caused the bearing to wear quickly. Once that bearing was no longer providing the smooth travel which it was designed to support, it was only a matter of time before other components began to fail."

http://www.torquenews.com/106/car-dr...me-more-common

I am, currently, a believer in "first oil change @ 3,000 miles", myself. If there IS any trash in the engine, and many can/will/do, get it out early. Many of my vehicles, in the past, had their first oil AND filter change @ 1,000 miles. And I've NEVER had a catastrophic failure.
I agree. I wonder if they followed normal break-in procedure? I'm guessing not. It doesn't seem like this is necessarily a manufacturing/design issue. The torque tube, now that could be a design fall.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
archtaan

Drives: car
Edmunds had an overheating problem with their long term test car. They had to shut off the ac and idle it in the shade. I'm going with some preproduction teething problems that will get ironed out. At least it didn't go up in flames like the aluminum super duty test mule.
archtaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #10
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by archtaan View Post
At least it didn't go up in flames like the aluminum super duty test mule.
or like several of the production Camaros did.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #11
aurora

Drives: 2015 Black ZL1; 2012 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
I agree. I wonder if they followed normal break-in procedure? I'm guessing not. It doesn't seem like this is necessarily a manufacturing/design issue. The torque tube, now that could be a design fall.
Someone I know from the dealers said they do get corvettes back, with blown engines, sometimes only a week after selling because guys aren't following break in procedures. Usually guys with too much money to burn. Its a bad way to wreck a car.
aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #12
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
They don't around here. back in May, when we have a great Chevy-thing going on before the Indy 500, we get to cruise from the dealer to the track AND get to take a lap around the track. Both Camaros and Corvettes participate. During the cruise, the slowest drivers are the vettes (repeatedly told to speed up/catch up). Then on the track, you are not supposed to pass anyone, but they want people to have fun with the car too. The only cars I know to get passed, were vettes, by Camaros. Really, you get to drive on the Indy 500, get to open it up, and you then only go 50 mph... wow!

Me and my Camaro friends almost all topped out at 95 down the back stretch.. the vettes, well they were apparently there to 'soak it in'.

L. A. M. E.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #13
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Here's how I see it...

...the LT1 will have all the kinks worked out by the time we get it in the Camaro.