The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 05-13-2014, 08:07 AM   #1
Down_Range_King
Win the day

Drives: F250, Tahoe, LRG C7 Z51
Tail of the Dragon

My wife and I just returned from a trip to Tail of the Dragon (TOTD), and I thought I would relate my experience(s) driving it in my C7. Keep in mind while reading this that I have not had any kind of formal "race car" driver training....I am just a regular dude with a healthy respect for speed who has a high performance automobile.

For those that do not know, the TOTD is a two lane, public road that twists it's way in the Smokey Mountains roughly north to south, and crosses the border between Tennessee and North Carolina.

The day was overcast and threatening rain, but the road was dry. I had the car in track mode with traction control full on and rev match on. I started my first run from the Deals Gap end of TOTD. A red sport bike (dont know the make/model, but it looked serious) was behind me. After the first couple turns, I came up behind trio of Harleys that was putting along taking it easy. At first I was OK with the slower pace because it gave me a feel for the road and its turns, but I quickly grew aggrevated at the slow bikes. Appoximately 1/4 of the way down the Harleys pulled into a pull over zone and I was able to open her up. The C7 absolutey ate up the tight hair-pin turns. It felt like I was on rails. Corner entry was tight, crisp, and precise. I experienced zero understeer. At the apex, I got back onto the throttle and the car leaped out the corner. The traction control kicked in a few times (and this is a very good thing as it kept me from leaving the road sideways or backwards) because I was too heavy on the gas.

During one of the very short straightaways, I checked my mirror and the red sport bike was not there any more. I figured he had pulled off somewhere. Towards the bottom of the run I came up behind a truck pulling a boat. I followed him to a boat launch on the lake at the bottom of the run. It was a good spot to park, catch your breath, and prepare to run back up the TOTD.

The run back to Deals Gap was much more sedated. I was behind a pair of sedans that were very much disinclined to use the handy pull out zones that most slower moving traffic uses as a courtesy to cars that want to go faster. So I was stuck behind them the whole way.

I parked at Deals Gap, and the wife and I went into the shop to by some TOTD memorabilia. As we were loading up our swag, the guy who was on the red sport bike who was behind me on the first run approached me. He said he was very impressed with my C7. He tried to keep up with me when I opened it up but couldn't. We chatted awhile, and I got the impression that he was a rather experienced rider, so the fact he couldn't keep up with me made me even prouder of my C7!

The third, and final run was moderate punctuated with moments of controlled chaos. Traffic was picking up, and the TOTD was getting too crowded to drive as aggressively as I was earlier, and it looked as if rain was going to start falling any moment. I was feeling confident and a little cocky on the third run, so I mugged for the professional photographers cameras. (There are 4 or 5 spots on the TOTD where photographers set up and take high quality pics of everything that goes by. You can go to their websites and purchase pics of your ride they snapped as you drove by.)

So, to sum it all up. First, the C7 is an incredible car! As I said before, I am no kind of uber-driver. No formal performance driving training. But the C7 allowed me to drive to the edge of my skills while covering the mistakes I made. And I know my skills do not even come close to pushing the performance envelope of the car. Second, the TOTD is a fantastic road to drive the C7 on. If you are planning on driving TOTD I would recommend doing it on a weekday during the morning hours as there would be less traffic.
Down_Range_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
Those "photographers" do take photos that you can purchase, but also monitor speeds. If they consider your speed to be excessive, they can also report you.

Friends of mine went there on their bikes a few years ago and had the local LEO waiting for them at Deal's Gap with a warning for them to slow it down next time. One of those friends was in the hospital for 6 months out there and off work for more than a year cuz the warning wasn't heeded.

I've also been told that locals like to drive slow on the TOTD to keep speeds down.

If we decide to take our C7, we'd planned on hitting the TOTD during the early morning to avoid crazy motorcyclists that like to show off on their drive.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
CruznCorvette

Drives: 2014 C7
In addition to the Tail of The Dragon, you'll want to check out these roads as well.

Devils Triangle
Moonshiner 28
Cherohala Skyway

http://www.devilstriangletn.com/

http://www.moonshiner28.com/

http://www.cherohala.org/

CruznCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruznCorvette View Post
In addition to the Tail of The Dragon, you'll want to check out these roads as well.

Devils Triangle
Moonshiner 28
Cherohala Skyway

http://www.devilstriangletn.com/

http://www.moonshiner28.com/

http://www.cherohala.org/

I've already got those bookmarked and their maps downloaded.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:43 AM   #5
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Someone pointed out The Snake to me between Mountain City and Bristol. Hadn't realized the TOTD was also that close, and will certainly be heading up there not long after I get my Stingray.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
thrilled

Drives: 1LT
About TOTD

I would like to check it out also.I've seen it on youtube.It looks like A blast.
thrilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #7
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
So I get my Corvette on the 28th at the Corvette Museum. Was thinking of heading to TOTD that weekend (31st/1st). Would anyone be interested in meeting up, checking out cars and driving the Dragon?