Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
78RS_to_112SS
Finally back in a Camaro

Drives: was 1978 RS, NOW 2011 Camaro 2SS
so you think YOU have rub marks??? pics

I went out to visit a customer this morning and this CAUGHT my eye...

This has to be the worse rub marks I have ever seen, including on this site. This is a 1999 Saab vert

My little rub mark ain't so bad all of a sudden...
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
I saw a 2002? Camaro the other day that looked far worse than any top I've seen in any of our posts. It was so loose that it was flapping. Makes you want to think twice about whether or not buying a vert was a good long term decision.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
78RS_to_112SS
Finally back in a Camaro

Drives: was 1978 RS, NOW 2011 Camaro 2SS
I wondered that also...... for about 3 seconds.

I LOVE MY VERT!!!

There is not much else I would want right now, I had a cruiser motorcycle and don't miss it at all. It was 1800cc, piped and chipped went like a bat out o hell but I already put MORE miles on the vert way up here in the north so far this year and summer is not here yet than I ever did in a full year on the bike...
Old 05-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78RS_to_112SS View Post
I wondered that also...... for about 3 seconds.

I LOVE MY VERT!!!

There is not much else I would want right now, I had a cruiser motorcycle and don't miss it at all. It was 1800cc, piped and chipped went like a bat out o hell but I already put MORE miles on the vert way up here in the north so far this year and summer is not here yet than I ever did in a full year on the bike...
Why get rid of the bike? I've had my 1700cc cruiser bike for over 5 years and would never sell it. Comparing a car to a bike is apples and oranges. I ride my bike about 5-7K miles a year. Nothing like being on a bike. Love my car and my bike. Wouldn't want to sell either of them.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
dan0617

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
On most any vert, you will have some wrinkles. Comes from top being down. You can tighten the tension on it to reduce the wrinkles, but then you risk bending the bows/support rods/etc, and possibly pulling out seals. Finding the happy medium is hard. Plus, we all know they are tighter when sitting in the sun, adding another variable to the proper adjustment. I've had drop top Mustangs and a Corvette, and some wrinkles and rub marks and such are normal. Not severe ones though, just minor. Severe rub marks/wear marks and big thick wrinkles and pleats are NOT normal. If they become normal then I just bought my last 'vert.

I'm ok with my wrinkles, it's just the hole that started from the headliner bracket that GM can't seem to get right that really bothers me. The rub marks are passable for me too, as long as they don't get too severe and don't start to wear out the top material.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78RS_to_112SS View Post
I went out to visit a customer this morning and this CAUGHT my eye...

This has to be the worse rub marks I have ever seen, including on this site. This is a 1999 Saab vert

My little rub mark ain't so bad all of a sudden...
Isn't that a Saab? also built by GM
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
99firehawk
Order in on 13' ZL1 vert

Drives: 1999 Firehawk Convertible
The marks on that SAAB are from probably putting it down dirty and leaving it down for an extended time. If a fabric top is not cleaned from time to time, garage or outside dirt will compress in the fold areas and gets embedded on those fold lines.

I have had 5 convertibles and saw one top resemble the SAAB slightly on a week long road trip where we were driving through very dusty conditions and then put down afterwards.....a cleaning stopped that look and I learned my lesson. Certainly if there are top mechanism issues, fold lines (dirty or not) will be more pronounced.
99firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
triplethreat

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS Conv
Why are people comparing a 13 year old car and a 10 year old car to a car that is less than a year old? I would expect some wear on a car that is over 10 years old, but not on a car that is less than a year old. In my case I bought my car drove it for 2 months and then put it in the garage for the time I am deployed. I went home for two weeks 7 months after and I have the rub marks on the top and the qtrs are loose. It wasn't that way when I left (the qtrs). So after 10 years yes, 2 months NO. I stow the car with the top up so it is not because the car is stowed incorrectly.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
99firehawk
Order in on 13' ZL1 vert

Drives: 1999 Firehawk Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplethreat View Post
Why are people comparing a 13 year old car and a 10 year old car to a car that is less than a year old? I would expect some wear on a car that is over 10 years old, but not on a car that is less than a year old. In my case I bought my car drove it for 2 months and then put it in the garage for the time I am deployed. I went home for two weeks 7 months after and I have the rub marks on the top and the qtrs are loose. It wasn't that way when I left (the qtrs). So after 10 years yes, 2 months NO. I stow the car with the top up so it is not because the car is stowed incorrectly.
Why? "People" are comparing 13 and 10 year old cars to emphasize how bad the situation is and that a top should and can last a long time if designed right and cared for properly. That was the whole point of the point. So we are on everyone's side and think it is not right.
99firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
pincoin
Camaro owner since 1982

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS-RS Conv IBM L99
That looks terrible!
pincoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:12 AM   #11
triplethreat

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99firehawk View Post
Why? "People" are comparing 13 and 10 year old cars to emphasize how bad the situation is and that a top should and can last a long time if designed right and cared for properly. That was the whole point of the point. So we are on everyone's side and think it is not right.
I guess that I took the original post wrong when he stated his rub marks don't look that bad.