Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
BIGSWOLE

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS/RS (L99)
Why you should never let your wife take your ss

I'm gonna try to make this as short as possible. My wife asked me to take my car to the gym tonight. I reluctantly agreed and now I regret it.I gave her money and asked her to fill up my car with 93 octane,she agreed. Whenever she returned she let me know she's pretty sure she put low grade.Said she was on the phone with work and got distracted.Needless to say I blew up and now am in the doghouse. I need some good advice and input on if anything will go wrong and what I should do.I have lt headers ,cai throttle body and a Jannetty tune that is set for 93 octane.Will my car be alright to drive as is? Someone please give me some good advice.
BIGSWOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
lexlueger

Drives: V10 BMW M5, Supercharged 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGSWOLE View Post
I'm gonna try to make this as short as possible. My wife asked me to take my car to the gym tonight. I reluctantly agreed and now I regret it.I gave her money and asked her to fill up my car with 93 octane,she agreed. Whenever she returned she let me know she's pretty sure she put low grade.Said she was on the phone with work and got distracted.Needless to say I blew up and now am in the doghouse. I need some good advice and input on if anything will go wrong and what I should do.I have lt headers ,cai throttle body and a Jannetty tune that is set for 93 octane.Will my car be alright to drive as is? Someone please give me some good advice.
Try a can of octane boosted???
IW 8 RIB PULLEY W/ OD COG REARS
NX EXPRESS/NANO KIT

KDI HEAT EXCHANGER/ROTOFAB RESERVOIR
CIRCLE D 2800 TC/FLEX PLATE/ADM TRANS COOLER
DSS DRIVESHAFT/1400 HP AXLES
EATON TRUETRAC -LPE 3.27 GEARS
DYNATECH HEADERS/MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST
SQUASH RETURN STYLE FS ID 850's E85/ FLEXFUEL
BMR/EIBACH SUSPENSION

KILL MODE, ON.

lexlueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
it shouldnt hurt anything just drive it easy
Old 05-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Drive it to the parts house and get a bottle of good octane boost. Drive it with the octane boost in it until you are at half a tank, and the fill it with 93 octane... or whatever you have available in your area...

I seriously doubt a Janetty tune is going to turn off the knock sensors... They will protect the motor by pulling timing until the fuel is better... Nothing to get a divorce over...

By the time you finish this tank and fill it with a full tank of 93 you'll probably be fine... Ask Ted in a PM if you need to do anything else... but you will have to deal with the same issues if you ever drive into a part of the country that has no high octane fuel... It'll be fine...

I took two cases of Amsoil Octane Boost with me to the Fest... Used a bottle at every fill up...

The more serious thing to point out to her is someone on the phone talking or texting while filling the car.... I can point out a few videos of fires starting this way...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
coolman

I can't believe you talked your wife into putting gas in a car at all. If I die my wife will be in trouble after all of our cars run out of gas.
Anyhow I wouldn't worry about it to much. Call Jannetty to see what they say.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Just remember she is your wife and it's a car. Apologize to her if you didn't already. Toss in some octane booster, run it out, fill it up with premium and move on and enjoy. The car isn't going to implode over 1 tank of low octane gas. Also, did she get a receipt? Or pay with debit card? If so you could easily calculate if she indeed put in regular based on what she paid if you know how close to empty it was.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
BIGSWOLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Just remember she is your wife and it's a car. Apologize to her if you didn't already. Toss in some octane booster, run it out, fill it up with premium and move on and enjoy. The car isn't going to implode over 1 tank of low octane gas. Also, did she get a receipt? Or pay with debit card? If so you could easily calculate if she indeed put in regular based on what she paid if you know how close to empty it was.
she paid with cash.she put 55 $ in and I had about a quarter of a tank in it whenever she filled up.I'm pretty sure 93 is close to 3.90 where she went. Whenever I calculate it seems as if she may have been mistaken and actually put 93. What do you think?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
EnzoR

Drives: 2012 1SS6M
Don't engage WOT, and proceed with octane booster possibly fuse pull mod after you run the gas out. That would probably be my damage control, godspeed man. And don't be too hard on the old lady maybe explain to her why you were so upset that way everyone is on the same page
EnzoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
ColdCamaroSS

Drives: 1
You'll be fine.

Don't use octane boosters. They're practically worthless (they only raise the decimal point of octane. Example 87 to 87.8 and turn your spark plugs orange with a nice coating of MMT). Worthless.

If truly worried, go get some unleaded race gas and dump a few gallons of 100 in the tank.
ColdCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #10
hansenp

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS
Funny how that works yeah? U r the one mad but some how the table turns and she is mad and your the one in the dog house even if your beast is pinging.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #11
BIGSWOLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansenp View Post
Funny how that works yeah? U r the one mad but some how the table turns and she is mad and your the one in the dog house even if your beast is pinging.
my thoughts exactly
Old 05-02-2011, 11:05 PM   #12
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
But, what if the SS is your wifes car...lol
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #13
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Here is Teds response to the same inquiry in another thread. Ted is well aware of this and knows what he's doing. Since you have a tune from him. You're fine. Just follow his advice below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
The Knock sensor constantly protect the engine so you have nothing to worry about.

Although I would not recommend racing your car on Lower than 93 octane fuel Normal driving is Fine.

A fuse pull does nothing with a tune.

Ted.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #14
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
and there you have it from the mans mouth...

and in reference to the comments about octane booster, I mentioned a good one, there are horse liniment treatments out there, but there are also some good ones...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote