Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
ryanB

Drives: 2011 ss/rs
Should I trade?

ok all....i am new to this forum and i want to get some opinions. here is the deal.
i currently have a 2011 Camaro SS/RS that is black on black manual with a sunroof, hurst shifter, midnight silver wheels and the heads up display and 700 miles on the odometer. i am at this point regretting getting black do to the maintanence issues and the paint shows every little scratch. with two small kids i see a lot of scratches in the future even if its parked in the garage. is the black paint on these cars really thin/weak?

....i have been looking at leftover 2010's to possibly trade for a lighter color that might hide some of these small scratches in the future. so far some dealers have given be the brush off but a couple have been interested. i currently have two dealers each with Summit white camaros willing to deal with me. have not been able to find any silver or inferno orange that are close and willing to work something out.
one will do an even trade on a 2010 ss/rs summit white with orange stripes 6spd with infero orange interior, no sunroof, with 250 miles on odometer from test drives etc.
the second is a 2010 ss/rs summit white with black stripes 6spd, black interior, polished wheels, no sunroof, with 400 miles on odometer from a dealer trade and test drives. this dealer offered me their car and 500 dollars for mine and might even do 1000 if i push them.

am i out of my mind for even considering to do this?? should i just deal with the scratches on the black paint? i know i will be giving up heads up display and i can care less about the sunroof. the one with the black stripes has back up seinsors and a VIN prefix of 919 so the build date is 02/10.

and lastly how is the paint on summit white. hides scratches pretty good?
ryanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
mako22

Drives: 2017 HB 2SS
I got summit white for just this reason after owning only black or blue camaro's my whole life. Had to stop obsessing about swirls. I will say that I'm happy with my decision, but don't think white doesn't have it's downsides. You can see every bug that hits the front, and it gets "gray" pretty quick if you let it dirty...
mako22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
Camaro8810

Drives: Black 2010 2LT RS
If its going to continue to bother you for the length of time that you own the car then I say do it. The fact that you would be 'theoretically' upgrading to an SS in both cases would make me seriously consider doing it. In additon both 2010 SS's have very low mileage as well. Now the final question I have for you is how much $$ would you be losing in this? If the loss isn't that big then I would make the trade.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
Sack up and use a buffer
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
ryanB

Drives: 2011 ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro8810 View Post
If its going to continue to bother you for the length of time that you own the car then I say do it. The fact that you would be 'theoretically' upgrading to an SS in both cases would make me seriously consider doing it. In additon both 2010 SS's have very low mileage as well. Now the final question I have for you is how much $$ would you be losing in this? If the loss isn't that big then I would make the trade.
would not be upgrading since i alrady have an SS. i would really miss the hurst shifter the most. are dealers selling the factory hurst shifters now. i know if i did this i could get an after market mgw, barton, hurst....but i do like the throw on the factory hurst that my car has.
ryanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
I had a white 85 f-bird. Won't ever get a white car unless I lived in the very southern states. But hey it's your nerves and your $$. I wouldn't do it, but then I'm partial to my Black SS

Yeah, if you could find a factory hurst it's big $$ and that's for just the shifter, then if you want the factory knob/boot with the H that's extra too.

Last edited by nancygrl; 04-27-2011 at 11:45 AM.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
makes no financial sense whatsoever. Unless you plan to own that car for years and years do not make that downward trade
Old 04-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
How many times could you get your car professionally detailed for the amount of $$$ you are going to lose on this transaction?

Makes no sense to me!
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
ryan, first: CONGRATS and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in them...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's and wive's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!

SECONDLY.....obviously you wanted a black car.....either you didn't realize how much work it was to keep a black car clean and looking good, or it was the color that was available and you JUMPED on it. Either way.....DON'T DO IT, the $$$ loss should be enough to curtail you from doing it. then DEAL WITH IT and learn to keep it the way you want it to look. even if that means a lot more work for you.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
Camaro8810

Drives: Black 2010 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanB View Post
would not be upgrading since i alrady have an SS. i would really miss the hurst shifter the most. are dealers selling the factory hurst shifters now. i know if i did this i could get an after market mgw, barton, hurst....but i do like the throw on the factory hurst that my car has.

Completely missed that one. My apologies. With that said, i would not make the trade for the reasons as stated by everyone else.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
cdn2usa

Drives: 2010 2SS
You might need to check how you financed the car (unless you paid cash) they might not go for it.
Hurst Shifter,CAI,Vmax throttle body, Kooks LT Headers, High Flow Cats,Borla Touring Axle Back, ADM Scoop, Washwater relocation,Diablo Predator(c/w Ted's Magic), Custom start defeat switch, painted engine cover, shark fin & bow ties, ABL lighting, Rear Camera.
cdn2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
GetInTheCar
...and just go

Drives: 2010 2LT Red Jewel
IMO, you want to love your car every time you use it, or look at it, not just after you finished detailing it. Isn't that why we all own this fabulous car? Mine is my daily driver, I lead a busy life, and it lifts my spirits whether it's just been waxed and shined, or it's peaking out from under the dirt it just picked up on a fine ride. It's not a $$$ decision, it's an emotional one. So do what YOU need to do to make everyday of owning your Camaro fabulous, regardless of the money involved, or what anyone else thinks. If I've learned anything from hanging out on this forum for the last 9 months, it's that everyone has a different definition of what the perfect Camaro is, i.e., there isn't ONE.

And with a couple of kids, I can see why you don't want to spend all your available time keeping your car pristine -- unless they are old enough to help buff and shine! Maybe black is the color you'll get once they leave the nest, and white is what works for now.

And welcome to the forum! It is a GREAT group of folks, with a LOT of opinions, and the discussions can get pretty lively, but always (almost) fun.
GetInTheCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #13
GetInTheCar
...and just go

Drives: 2010 2LT Red Jewel
P.S. That Summit White with the orange stripe and interior sounds pretty good. And orange would probably not show juice stains and cookie crumbs as much.
GetInTheCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #14
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
ryan,
I say do the trade or try and sell the car outright and go buy a leftover 10 model. I was in your same shoes back in 2004 bought a brand new beautiful Black Dodge Ram Hemi. I walked into the showroom and my jaw dropped it was so nice. Within a week I realized what a huge mistake I had made. It seems like everything marked up the truck, you could not simply wash it without streaks, I found myself waxing it once a week. It drove me nuts for 2 years until I traded the truck with 16k miles on the exact same truck although a 2006 model but Silver. Best move I ever made. A simple damp cloth wipedown has the truck looking like new. If it is driving you crazy now it will get worse.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote