Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #701
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post

I'm not attacking the ZL1....I've offered to help Dave with his at Beech Bend. There are some tricks you can use that make a stock car go (usually). You gotta data log the car to see what's going on. I would expect Dave and I to hit Beech Bend in the spring and I bet we can get him his 10. Dodge just went bananas with the Hellcat and a select few here seem to be a bit butthurt over it.

I had mine dyno'd over the weekend and it was quite a bit more than I was expecting.
I would definitely like to log my car to see if there's anything I can do different that might help me get all I can out of it bone stock. I will definitely be hitting Beech Bend as soon as the next chance comes around.

Would love to see those dyno numbers.
Quote:
Look a few posts back and you'll see he said they were NTO5R tires. Totally acceptable in my book, but to some here they freak out for whatever reason they're not the tires that came on it from the factory.

Even so, a 1.68 60' on that tire isn't stellar which definitely tells us other things are at play like TM. The MPH is definitely there for a 10.80 I'd say. On a DR with the weight of the ZL1 I'd expect a high 1.5x 60' EASY if all things are working together properly.
I think the biggest argument over the tires is because of how the fast list is setup. A tire change is considered a bolt on mod, so if you're looking for bone stock numbers, absolutely nothing can be done to the car. I had never looked at a tire as a mod until I joined this site. I still don't unless it involves the fast list. If I'm obeying the rules and running the car the way it came, including the factory rubber, then anyone posting for the same list should be too. Now if at some point the law was amended to allow a tire, then I'd put a tire on it. The current tire rule actually favors the better driver, because if you could add grip with a slick or drag radial, then it would be more about the car, since it would be easier to get a good launch. I'm fine with the rule either way. I hope to have at least a set of rears to try this spring and I'll do a comparison between both tires on the same day. Then I'll post a time for the bolt on list.

I agree. That 1.68 60' is scary to me, because I've hit 1.70 with the factory tire, so even though the extra grip may make it easier to get a good 60, it appears TM may be preventing the car from going much faster like it should. Very disappointing if that's the case. GM needs to hurry up and give me that drag concept package so I can use that 1.40 60' they claim to try getting in the 9s instead of fooling with these measly 10s. Lol
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:43 PM   #702
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17CamaroZL1 View Post
I would definitely like to log my car to see if there's anything I can do different that might help me get all I can out of it bone stock. I will definitely be hitting Beech Bend as soon as the next chance comes around.

I think the biggest argument over the tires is because of how the fast list is setup. A tire change is considered a bolt on mod, so if you're looking for bone stock numbers, absolutely nothing can be done to the car. I had never looked at a tire as a mod until I joined this site. I still don't unless it involves the fast list. If I'm obeying the rules and running the car the way it came, including the factory rubber, then anyone posting for the same list should be too. Now if at some point the law was amended to allow a tire, then I'd put a tire on it. The current tire rule actually favors the better driver, because if you could add grip with a slick or drag radial, then it would be more about the car, since it would be easier to get a good launch. I'm fine with the rule either way. I hope to have at least a set of rears to try this spring and I'll do a comparison between both tires on the same day. Then I'll post a time for the bolt on list.

I agree. That 1.68 60' is scary to me, because I've hit 1.70 with the factory tire, so even though the extra grip may make it easier to get a good 60, it appears TM may be preventing the car from going much faster like it should. Very disappointing if that's the case. GM needs to hurry up and give me that drag concept package so I can use that 1.40 60' they claim to try getting in the 9s instead of fooling with these measly 10s. Lol
Do you think it is possible that the factory tire is really close to a drag radial? Maybe a three way comparison include slicks. The more we find out the more it looks like TM protecting the rear.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2017, 08:25 PM   #703
big dave

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Do you think it is possible that the factory tire is really close to a drag radial? Maybe a three way comparison include slicks. The more we find out the more it looks like TM protecting the rear.

I think it is possible to be pretty close on the factory tires. The difference being in how the car is launched . You really need to be able to drive it out the hole at launch as opposed to being able to go straight to the floor on drag radials. Like Dave, I too have gotten an 1.70 60', it wasn't as easy getting it as in my 5th gen., which pulled a 1.65 60' stock. It really is a game of cat and mouse while trying to dance around torque management.
'13 ZL1 BRM A6. 11.591 @ 119.2 factory stock with a 1.68 60'! Best stock mph 121.8. 11.29 @ 123 RotoFab, drag radials and skinnies. 4360# raceweight.
http://youtu.be/yggIA3C_kkA 2014... back to stock
http://youtu.be/spQLaTWbThs 2013... stock & RotoFab
big dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:36 PM   #704
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dave View Post
I think it is possible to be pretty close on the factory tires. The difference being in how the car is launched . You really need to be able to drive it out the hole at launch as opposed to being able to go straight to the floor on drag radials. Like Dave, I too have gotten an 1.70 60', it wasn't as easy getting it as in my 5th gen., which pulled a 1.65 60' stock. It really is a game of cat and mouse while trying to dance around torque management.
Not like the old days, you just pushed it till it broke.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:14 PM   #705
Boo

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Grey
Time discrepancy

Quote:
Not trying to steal anything from Nick, but just wanted to give you my experience with PDR to hopefully answer your question. I've used both my in-dash timer and PDR on several runs. The in-dash timer is pretty much dead on and if it's off, it will read a .1 slow. PDR is always .1 to .2 slow and I've seen as much as .5 slow. The PDR should technically be .2 slower than the slip (if you stage shallow with both top and bottom lights on) because there is about .2 "rollout" before you break the last beam and start the drag strip timer, where PDR starts timing as soon as the vehicle moves. What puzzles me is how it is sometimes slower than that.
Thank you. That is what i was thinking. Pdr has been driving me nuts. It seems to have no rhyme or reason i thought it was because it worked off gps. Ive since learned otherwise. The in dash has been a lot more consistent. Im learning more and more in this forum. I like to use a nice quiet private road to practice...launches and such. No speeding of course... Its not always convenient to go to the track. Having something close to accurate timing is key.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:19 AM   #706
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:

There just needs to be a stock with tires list
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:10 AM   #707
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:

I'm running a little contest on my FB page till Friday. I'll post the dyno graphs up Saturday. Make sure you're sitting down when you look

Quote:

Makes sense for the "list". I definitely like the idea of running both and seeing the difference. I'm planning to do the same next spring as well in the HC. My 555Rs are bald and only got me a 2.1 60' when I tried them out vs the 1.5x with the slick. 555R should do way better than 2.1 and figure a new set will really show the difference. I'm betting a 1.7x on the 555R.

I'll ping you as we start planning to hit Beech Bend in March and we'll try to sync up.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:47 PM   #708
17 White ZL1

Drives: 2017 White ZL1 A10
Quote:
Yep I use it for data logging. I always data log every run at the track so I can go back and see if there are areas for improvement. I'm happy to post the data log if you would like to review to confirm the car is stock. I actually love that some of you guys think it's not.
I had a diablo in my HC too and use data logging to improve the tune
But if you say it's completely stock ok congrats but if I was going to race someone that said his car is stock with a tuner plugged in it ok

My Hellcat with a diablo tuner time # 141
Attached Images

2016 GT350
2015 Hellcat Challeger
17 White ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:04 PM   #709
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 White ZL1 View Post
I had a diablo in my HC too and use data logging to improve the tune
But if you say it's completely stock ok congrats but if I was going to race someone that said his car is stock with a tuner plugged in it ok

My Hellcat with a diablo tuner time # 141
Not sure the point your'e trying to make. Anyone with any knowledge what so ever of the car can take one glance at a data log and know if a car is stock or not. With the way people are, that should really be a requirement for your "stock" list here. I will data log every run at the track. You don't need a tuner hooked up to have a tune in the car

If my car were tuned, it would run 9.9x pretty easy. I'm getting 2-4° of STKR and my AFR is going in to COT just past the 1/8th driving my AFR down to 10.0. Those two things a lone are leaving 50+RWHP on the table and a tune would solve both.

People can subscribe to my YouTube channel if they wanna keep up with changes I make. I put it all out there.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:08 PM   #710
17 White ZL1

Quote:
Not sure the point your'e trying to make. Anyone with any knowledge what so ever of the car can take one glance at a data log and know if a car is stock or not. With the way people are, that should really be a requirement for your "stock" list here. I will data log every run at the track. You don't need a tuner hooked up to have a tune in the car

If my car were tuned, it would run 9.9x pretty easy. I'm getting 2-4° of STKR and my AFR is going in to COT just past the 1/8th driving my AFR down to 10.0. Those two things a lone are leaving 50+RWHP on the table and a tune would solve both.

People can subscribe to my YouTube channel if they wanna keep up with changes I make. I put it all out there.
Not trying to make a point or get you upset just have a hard time with your bone stock Hellcat running a 10.5 @ 130+ so I will leave it as you have the fastest stock HC I would like to see the time slip

Back to ZL1 going to run mine this weekend with DR but I think the TM will be the problem with sub 10 in a Stock ZL1
2016 GT350
2015 Hellcat Challeger
Old 11-28-2017, 05:27 PM   #711
17 White ZL1

Quote:

Ok Speedy I saw tour post on HC forum -300 DA with 1.5 60ft and Hoosier slicks I see were you got your 10.5 great runs I miss my HC
2016 GT350
2015 Hellcat Challeger
Old 11-28-2017, 06:27 PM   #712
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
I have not played with any of the launch control settings. Is there any combination in the menus that will lessen some of the tq management affects? I acknowledge they can be tuned out, but curious about the use of these menus.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:22 PM   #713
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
I have not played with any of the launch control settings. Is there any combination in the menus that will lessen some of the tq management affects? I acknowledge they can be tuned out, but curious about the use of these menus.
In the 5th gen you had mode 5, which was recommended initially and then all nannies off once you get the hang of it. All nannies off gives you the highest amount of hp/torque available. Not sure if it is the same in the 6th gen. Ask Big Dave he has had both. He had hinted he thought there was some TM in the 5 gen even with all nannies off.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:16 PM   #714
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Nannies protect you from yourself.

TM protects the drivetrain from you.

Guess which one you cannot turn off.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote