The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #15
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
I wouldn't say the SS is half assed. It's a bit boring, but looks better in person. I think it's hands down better than the Charger. Charger feels huge, where the SS shrinks around you, even though it's no smaller inside.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:48 PM   #16
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
I wouldn't say the SS is half assed. It's a bit boring, but looks better in person. I think it's hands down better than the Charger. Charger feels huge, where the SS shrinks around you, even though it's no smaller inside.
I guess more so..it smacks of old GM thinking, ie it's just badge engineered. They took the (very good) Holden Commodore and just slapped some Chevy badges on it, tweaked a few things, and called it good.

I guess halfassed isn't the best word..maybe lazy? I don't know. All I know is if Chevy really wanted to do a great RWD sedan..they have the ability to make it world class at half the price of Euro rivals.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #17
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
I guess more so..it smacks of old GM thinking, ie it's just badge engineered. They took the (very good) Holden Commodore and just slapped some Chevy badges on it, tweaked a few things, and called it good.

I guess halfassed isn't the best word..maybe lazy? I don't know. All I know is if Chevy really wanted to do a great RWD sedan..they have the ability to make it world class at half the price of Euro rivals.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it ... The car is awesome the way it is.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #18
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I'll just quote what I said in a different thread recently....my thoughts...

Quote:
I love the SS for what it is, but also hate what I feel it is "missing".

In my situation (aka...a young child and probably another coming in the future) the SS sedan makes good sense. My Camaro isn't my daily...no, but when another kid comes I fear I'll never drive it seeing as how getting a rear facing seat in the thing is near impossible. (well...getting it back OUT is much worse than getting one in....I know). Now, with one kid in a forward facing seat it isn't bad.

I actually thought about the idea of selling my beloved Camaro SS for a lightly used SS sedan, but in the end I can't do it and I think I'll just try and stick it out with the Camaro.

The SS sedan just looks too last gen, too Malibu-ish...not aggressive enough. I guess with some visual mods that can be helped, but still. It also is rocking the LS3 (wishing it had the LT1) and the older 6 speed auto. So on account of those things...I just can't do it after getting used to the LT1 and the 8 speed.

If GM were to release an updated SS sedan on a longer Alpha platform with the updated hardware...(and fingers crossed that it looked good to my eye) it would be so damn tempting....and probably very expensive assuming it only came loaded again.

The other thing about the SS sedan (especially around here) is that they are truly rare. That appeals to me also, but its not enough to make me jump I guess.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #19
Bansheemike

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS 6speed manual
Carl Edwards is taking an early retirement due to his car owner making him drive a POS Toyota.
Bansheemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #20
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
The SS was designed and built to fit the NASCAR templates. Just like every other "stock" car on the track.

Camaros are allowed in the Xfinity series, but the Sprint Cups need a 4-door family sedan converted to two non-doors and all nearly identical so they are relevant to the general public