Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-03-2017, 04:58 AM   #1
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
A new (different) way to perfect glass

I wasn't home, when I tested a theory and couldn't write it up then. Well, after reading Mike Phillips' article:

Remove the Glare Where You Stare

I had to try it. He uses Griot's Garage Glass Polish, which I don't have, so I asked if Ultimate Polish would work. He said he thought it would, but was semi-concerned about the polishing oils in the UP, but said the alcohol in glass cleaners should remove them. Well, I thought that Ultimate Compound should have fewer oils, so I used it. (Note: I don't see why a similar ADAM'S polish wouldn't work as well).

You'll need at least 2 mf cloths and 1 terry cloth towel (mf is optional), Ultimate Compound, Glass Cleaner (I used Invisible Glass) and water.

I used an old, thinning mf cloth, soaked it in water an wrung it out really well so it was only damp and applied a small amount of UC on the cloth and applied it to the inside windshield of my wife's Explorer (it has NASTY windows), wax-on wax-off style, straight lines, back & forth, up & down, etc.just to make sure I got all of the glass .... I used a water-dampened cloth to help 'cut' or 'remove the oils from the equation.' It seemed to have worked.

Since it was cold and muggy today, I had the defroster on to help the glass dry. Then I took the terry towel and buffed off all the UC & water off the glass. Then a light misting of Invisible Glass, followed by a good buff and I was done.

The glass was perfectly clear, no smears, nothing.

Now, I can't be COMPLETELY sure it worked as good as it seems so far, being that I haven't had anything to glare back at me on the glass (headlights, streetlights, sun glare etc), but I do believe this might be yet another option for glass cleaning.

If the weather holds, I'll be doing the Camaro tonight after work.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
Gayton81

Drives: 2012 2SSRS
Yea I seen this on Autopia and want to give it a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayton81 View Post
Yea I seen this on Autopia and want to give it a try

Yeah, I posted in a few places It worked so well on the wife's car that I had to share.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:24 PM   #4
Gayton81

Drives: 2012 2SSRS
Oh so that was you on there and Autogeek? I guess I'll have to follow you lol!

Old 01-03-2017, 01:28 PM   #5
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayton81 View Post
Oh so that was you on there and Autogeek? I guess I'll have to follow you lol!

And Autopia ... LOL
Old 01-03-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
been using the mckees glass restorer and it gets the same result. might do a side by side in spring for a comparison. I use the glass restorer about twice a year to clean up air born gunk that gets deposited from the environment. use the AMMO approach to cleaning the exterior glass, 3 inch orange pad and DA

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:14 AM   #7
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
been using the mckees glass restorer and it gets the same result. might do a side by side in spring for a comparison. I use the glass restorer about twice a year to clean up air born gunk that gets deposited from the environment. use the AMMO approach to cleaning the exterior glass, 3 inch orange pad and DA
In the link, Mike Phillips used Griot's Garage Fine Glass Polish, I was just curious to see if anything I had on hand would work as well (the wife doesn't like me ordering things off line.

BTW, I did my Camaro's windshield last night, only problem is that it was colder/more humid than when I did the wife's Explorer and I had extra wiping to do to dry the glass ...

Side Note: After driving it a few times, the windshield in the Explorer is definitely CLEAN.