Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-22-2016, 11:47 PM   #1
Alex-A

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT 50th Anniversary
Shifting from 1st to 2nd

So I've had my car for about 2 months now, and I still can't shift into 2nd smoothly. I start off in 1st, and when I go into 2nd I feel the rev's take so long to drop down that by the time I release the clutch the car jerks. I can hold the clutch down longer, but it seems like a really long time, and annoying for people behind me.

Also, is it normal for the car to sometimes buck around in 1st gear? I'll be stuck in rush hour traffic, I'll be in 1st gear holding a constant RPM around 1400/1500 and sometimes it will suddenly buck back and forth. Usually happens if I let the throttle off, and just ever so slightly press it back and it bucks again.
Alex-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:45 AM   #2
monkeychops

Drives: 2016 V6 6 speed
this is my 7th car with a clutch and by far the hardest of all of them to make a smooth 1-2 shift....
but I haven't had the bucking problem..... if I'm not on the throttle.....the clutch is engaged.
good luck..
monkeychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:45 AM   #3
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
As for the 1-2 upshifting I would try activating the rev match and see how that affects things. Not sure if that is on the 2LT, but I have it on 2SS and it works well.

The bucking/jerking will always be more pronounced when you modulate the throttle in lower gears. If traffic is moving beyond the slowest crawl, you might want to try spending more time in 2nd, even in stop/go traffic.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:15 AM   #4
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Try shifting to 2nd around 3k RPM. If you prefer to shift earlier. What I do is press the clutch in. Wait just an extra second or two for the RPM's to drop back to around idle. Then put it in 2nd gear and smoothly release the clutch and then resume back on the throttle. You'll make up the distance / speed that delay had when you're back on the gas and ready to either go to 3rd or just pop it in 4th for cruising speed.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #5
crazydmc
ummmm

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Nightfall w/Blk Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-A View Post
So I've had my car for about 2 months now, and I still can't shift into 2nd smoothly. I start off in 1st, and when I go into 2nd I feel the rev's take so long to drop down that by the time I release the clutch the car jerks. I can hold the clutch down longer, but it seems like a really long time, and annoying for people behind me.

Also, is it normal for the car to sometimes buck around in 1st gear? I'll be stuck in rush hour traffic, I'll be in 1st gear holding a constant RPM around 1400/1500 and sometimes it will suddenly buck back and forth. Usually happens if I let the throttle off, and just ever so slightly press it back and it bucks again.
skip 2nd. for casual or traffic driving I shift 1st to 3rd every time. 1st to get the car rolling, slip into 3rd and leave it there... plenty of power even at slow speeds and it won't buck as you change throttle positions.

I know, I know, I always comment on this subject...
crazydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #6
nfboy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT HBM
I think OP has a 2LT so no rev match. I have s 1LT v6 M6 and i find the 1 to 2 shift smooth except when really cold (which was always the case in any manual i owned). This is my 8th manual vehicle and in my opinion the easiest yet for smooth throws. Alex-A is this your first standard car? Manuals can take some getting used to.

Do you have the I4 or V6? I have not experienced any rev issues or bucking as you refer to it.

Does the shifting behave the same in all 3 drive modes? I do admit i find smooth shifting a weee bit more challenging in sport than touring and easiest in snow/ice. But not a hell of a difference either way.
nfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:51 PM   #7
guitarman8373

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro fully loaded.
My 2SS shifts from 1st to 2nd without a hitch. Revmatch or not. No slipping, just letting out the clutch fast as any other shift I do, even if i'm rolling at 5mph in 1st. Downshifting into 2nd is just as smooth too. ONLY time it is a bit lurchy at first is on cold starts when nothing has been warmed up at all (which is normal.)
Old 12-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #8
Alex-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfboy View Post
I think OP has a 2LT so no rev match. I have s 1LT v6 M6 and i find the 1 to 2 shift smooth except when really cold (which was always the case in any manual i owned). This is my 8th manual vehicle and in my opinion the easiest yet for smooth throws. Alex-A is this your first standard car? Manuals can take some getting used to.

Do you have the I4 or V6? I have not experienced any rev issues or bucking as you refer to it.

Does the shifting behave the same in all 3 drive modes? I do admit i find smooth shifting a weee bit more challenging in sport than touring and easiest in snow/ice. But not a hell of a difference either way.

It's an I4, and yeah this is my first standard car. Always wanted one and finally bit the bullet and got one when it was time for a new car. Cars got 3000km on it now, I'm a very fast learner and got it all down expect two things. Shifting from 1-2 smoothly, and shifting at high RPM's smoothly. I haven't had much practice shifting at High RPM's anyways, I'm at the end of the application process for the RCMP (Canadian Police) and the last thing I need right now is a speeding ticket.

As for the bucking, it only happens in 1st gear if I hold a constant RPM around 1200-1400 and let go off the throttle and reapply it slightly. It only happens sometimes, and it's not bogging down the engine since at times it would happen at 1400-1500 RPM's. It also only happens when I'm in rush hour traffic, I've never had it happen cruising around a parking lot, or during regular driving. It almost seems that it happens only if a constant RPM is held in 1st gear. Then the throttle is let off causing the car to engine brake, and back on the throttle slightly causes it to buck back and forth a couple times. Could it be because I'm not applying enough throttle causing the car to switch between engine brake/acceleration?
Old 12-23-2016, 01:05 PM   #9
Alex-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman8373 View Post
My 2SS shifts from 1st to 2nd without a hitch. Revmatch or not. No slipping, just letting out the clutch fast as any other shift I do, even if i'm rolling at 5mph in 1st. Downshifting into 2nd is just as smooth too. ONLY time it is a bit lurchy at first is on cold starts when nothing has been warmed up at all (which is normal.)

I don't get it, if I let the clutch out shifting from 1st to 2nd like any other gear, I get a clunk sound in the clutch and a very jerky upshift.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:12 PM   #10
mikem2104

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE, 20 Canyon Denali
have you tried slipping it a bit, when not driving spiritedly, try slowing the clutch release a bit. count to 3 as you let it out. just a thought. the worst car i've driven for a 1-2 shift was my 370z, i haven't found the camaro tricky in comparison.

Current Garage:
18' 2SS 1LE, Hyper Blue
23' GMC Canyon Denali
Previously:
20' GMC Canyon Denali
16' 2SS 6MT, Hyper Blue, Kalahari, 20" PVW Chrome Split wheels, NPP, MRC (Total Loss)
14' Ford Edge Sport
06' Saab 9-7x,13' Nissan 370z Sport, 12' VW Jetta GLI, 02' Olds Bravada
mikem2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:23 PM   #11
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
I get a clunk every time i go 1st->2nd and the skip shift eliminator activates. If I shift above 3k rpm, no clunk.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:37 PM   #12
crazydmc
ummmm

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Nightfall w/Blk Wheels
you have to consider the physics involved here.... a big engine, low gear, of course the car will be jumpy as you apply or let off the gas. it is all about technique
crazydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #13
Dreamcar16

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
i have a 1lt/m6 and what i do is apply a little gas as im releasing the clutch after the gear switch. most of the time its smooth, but like someone said above, its best to shift around the 3 rpm range.
Dreamcar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:32 PM   #14
Alex-A

Never tried shifting around 3k in 1st, usually around 2200-2300. I'll give it a try!