Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #43
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
If you like to tinker and work on things, then drive them, then tinker and fix things before you put them away then Old School muscle is for you.

If you want to just get in and drive, then put it away when done, no muss, no fuss then Modern Muscle for you.

If you like to do both then one of each!

For me I am all modern - I don't have time to tinker, even though I love a good project. When I retire I will always have a project going whether it is modding a modern or old car, motorcycle or boat.
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:00 PM   #44
arod55
AROD55

Drives: 1955 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop
I have had my 55 Chevy for over 32 years and have enjoyed driving her to car shows. I think the 55 gets more attention from the public than my Camaro. I always say to each there own.
Attached Images

arod55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:15 PM   #45
The_Raging_Bull
Raging Bull Reborn

Drives: '09 CGM Z063LZ '15 RH Z/28 #0631
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod55 View Post
I have had my 55 Chevy for over 32 years and have enjoyed driving her to car shows. I think the 55 gets more attention from the public than my Camaro. I always say to each there own.
Nice 55, against an LS7 ->> its zoom, zoom zoom, goodbye>>>>gone

unless you REALLY tricked an engine

Toy 1 '15 RH Z/28 w/AC & Radio S/N 0631
Toy 2 '09 CGM Z06 3LZ
My DD: '17 Ford Mustang GT
Her DD: '14 F150 Ecoboost 3.5
The_Raging_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:20 AM   #46
AJensen383

Drives: 2014-ZL1-M6-CRT, 68 camaro SS 496
IMHO it really depends on what you do with the car...I have 4 classic muscle cars (2- 68 Camaros, 70 Nova and 74 nova) and just picked up a 2014 ZL1 since I wanted something that I could just jump in and drive, take the family on a nice drive somewhere and have the reliability of a new car, while still having a car that makes a lot of power. While I love classic muscle, there really is only so much I would want to do with them, they aren't as comfortable, safe, or efficient as modern muscle, they don't have the handling (unless you really upgrade suspension) , you smell like exhaust everytime you drive them and you really don't take them to Target shopping much either for fear of something happening. Plus the fact that if something does happen when you are out with them ( door ding, accident..etc..) there is no FACTORY replacement sheetmetal available, then trying to match paint. All that is out there is overseas junk that doesn't fit right and will kill the value of an original metal car.

I do enjoy driving them to cruise nights and trips here and there, and the fact that they drag race sooooo much better and faster than a ZL1 , but the simplicity of just jumping in the ZL1 and being able to drive it anywhere comfortably is fantastic.

Even though I am too young (37) to be have been alive during the days when 60s and 70s mucle cars ruled the streets, I kind of grew up with them at the center of my car world.. I built my 70 Nova and 1 of the 68 Camaros from the ground up, the 74 Nova was my grandfathers...SO for me having BOTH modern and classic is the best option there is. Ive always wanted a modern muscle and the ZL1 is an incredible car from top to bottom, such a blast to drive, but is it BETTER than classic muscle?? In some ways...without a doubt- Yes, but in other ways- not really , is it fast?? sure, is it faster than my classic cars?? NO- Not even close in a drag race, but for an overall driving experience you can push modern mucle a lot farther and be reliable ...It would cost over $100,000 to build a classic car to have the capability of a modern ZL1 or Z28...But on the other hand, theres just something about driving a first gen Camaro...

So to answer the question of which is better, or rather have?...There is no right or wrong answer, each car has its own intangibles.
AJensen383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:17 AM   #47
Curts14

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS LS3; 1967 Camaro SS
What is funny is that back in the 60's and 70's, we thought our muscle cars were real reliable. My '67 Chevelle got me to work on time every morning even in deep snow (Michigan) and the little 283 V8 got an honest 18 to 2o MPG. When it was time to buy my first new car, the '70 Chevelle SS 396, it opened up a whole new world. It was a blast to drive and was, also, a real reliable car. I would get 14 MPG on trips, but when you buy a car like that, you do not worry about mileage.
Curts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #48
AJensen383

Drives: 2014-ZL1-M6-CRT, 68 camaro SS 496
Well, the cars were/are reliable back then, most were fairly new , but in todays world most cars go over 100,000 miles without having to do anything but change oil... Back then going 100,000 miles without doing something major was pretty tough to do.

I do have to say though I drove my 74 nova to high school everyday my senior year even in the snow with a mild 350 and 4.10s ..just put a set of studded snows on the back and drive sensible, and I didn't have any problelms even as a 17y/o..lol..

My first 68 Camaro I bought was an original 327 2bbl , 4 speed car, that I drove for years not everyday, but most days in the summer to work, and to cruises, no issues at all, except it was out of power at 4000rpm...It was very reliable

My other cars are pretty modified, solid roller cams , big intakes, big carb , compression..etc... so it kind of takes the daily driverness out of them, and that's where modern muscle fits in...We can have the big power and still be driven daily
AJensen383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #49
Curts14

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS LS3; 1967 Camaro SS
Old Muscle vs. New

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJensen383 View Post
Well, the cars were/are reliable back then, most were fairly new , but in todays world most cars go over 100,000 miles without having to do anything but change oil... Back then going 100,000 miles without doing something major was pretty tough to do.

I do have to say though I drove my 74 nova to high school everyday my senior year even in the snow with a mild 350 and 4.10s ..just put a set of studded snows on the back and drive sensible, and I didn't have any problelms even as a 17y/o..lol..

My first 68 Camaro I bought was an original 327 2bbl , 4 speed car, that I drove for years not everyday, but most days in the summer to work, and to cruises, no issues at all, except it was out of power at 4000rpm...It was very reliable

My other cars are pretty modified, solid roller cams , big intakes, big carb , compression..etc... so it kind of takes the daily driverness out of them, and that's where modern muscle fits in...We can have the big power and still be driven daily
You are right. If we got 100,000 miles on an engine before it needed rebuilt was considered exceptional. 70,000 to 80,000 was about the norm. The technology with today's piston rings, oils, and valve train roller assemblies has greatly increased engine life.
Curts14 is offline   Reply With Quote