Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 07-05-2016, 06:15 PM   #393
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
Just like when i used all K&N filters before, or when using anyone's oiled filter, I took mine out of the plastic and wrapped it in paper towels overnight....THERE WAS NO TRANSFER....most oiling issues occur after someone cleans and re-oils the filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
This is true. I've built over 1500 CAI's (using K&N's) for Audi's and VW's.....Notorious for sensitive MAF's and NEVER had an issue until someone over-oils them after cleaning...It's all operator error and largely an internet myth if maintained Correctly
In this case, the filter was maintained by Mishimoto and hadn't been touched outside of installing it.

But I had used many K&N filter that when they arrived the bottom of the box had oil on it, or the plastic wrap was super oily on the inside. To say there is never oil transfer from the factory, and it is always the consumers fault is somewhat hilarious.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:59 PM   #394
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
In this case, the filter was maintained by Mishimoto and hadn't been touched outside of installing it.

But I had used many K&N filter that when they arrived the bottom of the box had oil on it, or the plastic wrap was super oily on the inside. To say there is never oil transfer from the factory, and it is always the consumers fault is somewhat hilarious.
That's why I added "Most"...most oiling issues are caused by consumers who want just a nice dark red filter (instead of a light pinkish color

If you think a filter is too oily, you can wrap in in paper towels overnight (yes, paper ones still exist) and excess oil will transfer.
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:29 PM   #395
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
Just got home from Daytona...made it back in 13.5 hours...27.6 mpg on the return trip...970 miles.
So on both trips it averaged 27.5 mpg at 75+ miles per hour...and at the start of the trip I barely had 2200 miles on the motor.
VERY DAMN IMPRESSIVE GM.
Didn't Burn a drop of oil
And the intake didn't budge.
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:03 PM   #396
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows

Mishimoto... I'm wondering what your response is to this video. In real world testing, your cold air intake was shown to actually lose power and torque over the stock airbox. It sounds great but, your claims of increased power are shown to be false. How do you respond to that?
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:55 PM   #397
AdmAnt13

Drives: '16 Red Hot 2SS M6 NPP
Watched the video. That's kind of discouraging. Would also like to see what Mishimoto says.

'16 2SS, M6, Borla Atak
AdmAnt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:22 PM   #398
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Drives: Mostly Stock
Hey guys, for reference, we did have a lengthy response to this video made by Sledge. Check out the link to our post here. Thanks!
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:33 PM   #399
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
I agree with Mishimoto....Not enough ECU learn time, and a huge variable in the Throttle body and exhaust. The Mish was tuned with a stock throttle body...Any variation from that could (and apparently did) result in large discrepancies on the Sledge test...
Old 08-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #400
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
Dude, K&N filters ON SYSTEMS are NORMALLY good for 100,000 miles before the need cleaning....DROP INS are rated for 50,000...
Not necessarliy true. I've seen filters (on my VTDA intake system) black and crusty after 20K.... It all depends on how and where they're used..
Old 08-29-2016, 07:08 PM   #401
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
I agree with Mishimoto....Not enough ECU learn time, and a huge variable in the Throttle body and exhaust. The Mish was tuned with a stock throttle body...Any variation from that could (and apparently did) result in large discrepancies on the Sledge test...
Testing a 2nd time with stock TB and closed hood yielded the same results even with 5 days of ECU learning time.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:19 PM   #402
Lord Dirt

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Some people don't like tests
Lord Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #403
1slowssm6

Drives: 2016 1ss m6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dirt View Post
Some people don't like tests
some people dont like to admit they wasted $300+ on a ugly and useless product,i never wouldve bought mishi if it showed gains its a cheap and ugly made cai,just so happens it doesnt make power either
1slowssm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:53 AM   #404
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
Mishimoto... I've contacted your support team about sending my CAI back for a refund. The performance gains you guys have claimed simply aren't there. Your CAI has been shown to actually lose power as opposed to gain power. Personally, I've noticed zero performance gains. It sounds great. I'll give you guys that. But, for the monetary investment, I should see and feel performance gains, not lose performance.
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #405
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Drives: Mostly Stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
Testing a 2nd time with stock TB and closed hood yielded the same results even with 5 days of ECU learning time.
Hey Sledge, once you get those results we'd love to see them and compare with our findings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Martel View Post
Mishimoto... I've contacted your support team about sending my CAI back for a refund. The performance gains you guys have claimed simply aren't there. Your CAI has been shown to actually lose power as opposed to gain power. Personally, I've noticed zero performance gains. It sounds great. I'll give you guys that. But, for the monetary investment, I should see and feel performance gains, not lose performance.
Sorry to hear you've been disappointed with it! I'll give the CS team a heads up about your request. We have seen dyno-proven gains on this intake that were consistent over many runs and under various conditions. A more modified setup like Sledge's for example is hard to compare to a slightly less modified setup such as yours. What his own setup may be experiencing would bear less weight on an application similar to your own. We are excited to see what he is doing with that car and will be working to compare his data to see what improvements may be had.

With that said, given that it is an intake designed for a stock tune, I'm not sure I would expect to feel much by the seat-o-the-pants-o-meter, however that does not mean it isn't producing power over the stock setup. Feel free to check out our dyno chart for this intake! All of our testing was, again, done in-house with multiple dyno runs, all yielding consistently similar results.

Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #406
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Hey Sledge, once you get those results we'd love to see them and compare with our findings!
Will share all the findings.