Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-20-2016, 09:17 PM   #1
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Drives: '15 CRT 2SS/RS/1LE
Not getting pulled over.. (saved by the wave?)

Anyone have 'not getting pulled over' stories / getting out of a ticket story when you knew you should've?

Last night driving home from work on Outer Cape and all the tourists were trying to find places to eat dinner so that clogged up traffic horribly.. I was pretty antsy at a traffic light that I had the line on. So I revved it to 3.5k, light turned green, dumped the clutch, floored it, probably hit 15-20mph over the speed limit on the road just as I was passing the local LEO in his hiding spot. I had no idea what to do, I knew he had me dead to rights, I could see him staring right at me. So... I waved.

He didn't even move out of his spot. Was waiting for him to light me up but it never happened.

I pass that guy a couple times a week on my commute. I wonder if he waved back. Probably just laughed at me. Rather be laughed at than pulled over though. Saved by the wave? Doubt it. Anyone have a similar story?
2014 RRM Camaro 1LT/RS A6/NPP CAI
Follow Me On Instagram!
CapeCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
What town on the Cape did you get the break? That sure was your lucky day.

Back in the early 70's was driving my 63 LeSabre convertible with 401 engine to H.S. on the Mid-Cape highway in Eastham. Was running late to class and speeding (no other traffic - off season), an Officer pulled me over. He told me he noticed my car each day and asked why on this day was I in a hurry; but not to worry he was not giving me a ticket just a verbal warning of the dangers in speeding. His warning worked, from that point I always stayed within the speed limit in his town for the rest of the school year.

Maybe in your case there was a shift change coming up, or a call coming in over the radio that was higher priority than chasing you down --- or maybe he did not think you were posing a danger and likes watching your 1LE go by all the time (have you seen any other 1LE's in your town?).
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:46 PM   #3
trodecke

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS CRT
This just happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was headed to work and was getting on the highway. The onramp I use goes uphill so folks tend to take it a bit slow, mainly because they can't get up the hill any faster. Some folks though push the limits of anyone's patience and are only doing 20mph trying to merge onto a highway where everyone else is going 65-70mph. That's what happened to me, I was stuck behind someone who just couldn't seem to get it past 20mph even at the top of the ramp. As we hit the merge lane I looked to make sure there wasn't anyone next to us and then floored it as I jumped into the left hand lane. About the time I hit 80 I noticed in my rear view mirror a car with some light bars on top. Figuring it was a police car I slowed way down, back to the speed limit, and pulled back into the right hand lane. As the police car drove past me the cop looked at me, wagged his finger, smiled, then pulled away. I said a really quick but emphatic prayer thanking the Good Lord right there on the spot.

trodecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:39 AM   #4
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Not Street Racing

Something I saw that I thought was really cool.

I'm in my work truck pulling a trailer with a Bobcat. I'm in the center lane going 60 in a 55, just like 90% of the others. A trooper comes up in the left lane, I see him coming, I don't see him going. I look at him, he looks at me, he glances down at his speedometer and looks back at me.

So I slow to 55, he continues to be my wing man. Every once in a while someone snakes through the right lane, or maybe just entered, and sees all this open road. They begin to pass me and see the trooper. So we have a rolling roadblock.

I've seen this before and what it is is a purposeful move on the part of the police. Often there is an accident ahead and they are preparing you to slow and possibly stop.
It could be a caravan of emergency vehicles and then you would never stop.

As we approach ~1/4 mile to an entrance lane two cars are coming up. The first guy is slowing down, wondering WTF because there wasn't another vehicle in sight. And the second driver in a Mustang hammers it right into lane #2. Loud as hell, too
The trooper next to me spotted him on the ramp so he started to move (it was a whoosh) and he was next to him in no time. It was jaw-dropping.

I couldn't see it clearly but the tropper paced him for a few seconds like he had me, door to door, and they slowed to 55.

To the best of my recollection the Mustang driver was lifting the throttle probably going ~70, but the trooper had started from 55 instead of ~30 so probably whacked triple digits to do his job. He had to love that! His job was to slow down the traffic and I had to admire his work.

So the Mustang driver got to wipe his brow

Hopefully that Mustang driver will look a bit more in his rearview when what is in front is too good to be true. I know I do.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:42 AM   #5
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
Liking this thread so far.. I've never been pulled over but I've had cops shine their lights at my car or use their intercom too many times..
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #6
Pete M
9 Year USMC Vet

Drives: 2014 1LT black on black
I was driving through Greensboro North Carolina one afternoon. It was just before 4 o'clock and I had to get to the courthouse before they close at four. I was blowing through town at about 45 to 50 and a 25 zone and saw a sheriff's car behind me and she lit me up. As she walked up to the car, I had my hands on the steering wheel in my window down. Because I'm a concealed carry permit holder in North Carolina. I told her hello and I had a permit that I had a pistol in the console and how does she want to proceed. She just smiled and told me keep the console closed and we would be good. She took my info back to her car and returned in a couple minutes. She asked if I had been in the Marines. I smiled and said, (Yes Ma'am, it's the best job I ever had)
She thanked me for my service, told me to slow it down and have a nice day..
I guess all the Marine Corps stuff on my car caught her eye. The way I handled the stop made a big difference too.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #7
Irace16

Drives: 2010 1SS RS M6
A few years ago in my diesel gmc I just got done putting a new exhaust and a 150 hp tune in, and I was out in the country right in front of the track I raced at, thought I d see what the truck would do. Speedo only goes to 120... Had it buried , I let off to slow down then I see an oncoming car, sure enough a county cop! I slowed down and pulled over before he could turn around, shut off my truck had my license in my hand out the window( figured it was gone) had my head down as the officer was walking up. He gets to my tailgate and yells "Andy! What the hell are you doing!?" Turned out I knew him and he was a race fan. Told him I was testing my new mods . ����. He let me go... Thought I was going to jail
Old 08-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #8
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
circa 2002 i was at a set of traffic lights on my gsxr1000 and pulled a fantastic wheelie for about half a mile..as i was half way through it i see 4 police cops running to get in their cars to chase me..
i ofc then went flat out till i got home..was doing 190mph all the way..got home threw me bike in the garage took off me leathers then about 5 minutes later a helicopter was hoovering about..ffs i was dead lucky that day for sure
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:48 AM   #9
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
there's not enough room on the board for these types of memories
Old 08-21-2016, 09:58 AM   #10
hdkeno

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarky View Post
there's not enough room on the board for these types of memories
Got that right...
hdkeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #11
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew peacock View Post
circa 2002 i was at a set of traffic lights on my gsxr1000 and pulled a fantastic wheelie for about half a mile..as i was half way through it i see 4 police cops running to get in their cars to chase me..
i ofc then went flat out till i got home..was doing 190mph all the way..got home threw me bike in the garage took off me leathers then about 5 minutes later a helicopter was hoovering about..ffs i was dead lucky that day for sure
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #12
MIMZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Camaro #0001
I have to tell this story! This happened to a friend of mine. We were just driving back from The GM Oshawa plant in Canada. He was ahead of me on Hwy 402 just coming into Sarnia to cross in the the US. The speed limit drops from 100 km to 50 km and he was doing about 120 km (normal on the 402). The Ontario Provincal Police pulled him over and asked if he knew how fast he was going. He thinking it was still 100 km speed zone said about 120. The officer asked him if he knew that in Ontario if you are over the speed limit by 50 km or more you can have your driving license revoked, your car confiscated, and a $10,000 fine and you were doing 120. His response was why don't you just shoot me. The officer said it was too much paper work and gave him a ticket for 20 over ($100 fine) and a warning that he better not catch him in the future speeding in Sarnia.
MIMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #13
ABM2SS

Drives: 2010 SS M6 ABM
My worst was... I was driving home from work coming up on a light where two state highways cross. The left lane is left turn or straight. Easy to get stuck behind someone trying to turn left. The right Lane is right turn only. So as I'm approaching the intersection the light turns green, there's a tractor-trailer trying to turn left and several cars behind him. The right turn only lane is clear, so I down-shift to second, hit the accelerator and swing into the right lane. I blow passed the cars and the truck and straight across the intersection. By this time I'm carrying a lot of speed and coming up on a car accelerating from the intersection. It's a dashed yellow zone so I swung around him as well. That's when I looked in my mirror and saw the State Trooper. I knew I was toast so I pulled over and waited for him to catch-up.
In Indiana for a small fee actve or prior service can get a license plate with your branch of the service. I admitted making the bone-head move. After running my license, the trooper comes back to my window, tells me that there was a bad accident at that intersection last week and explains that he'd hate to see a beautiful car like mine wrecked. He then asks me if I am a former Marine. I respond, "Yes sir". He tells me to take it easy. No ticket, but I deserved one.
ABM2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #14
Stroke9

Drives: 2015 AGM 1SS
I got pulled over by an Indiana Trooper running 65mph in a 45mph zone. I actually passed him coming from the other direction. I waved anyhow and pulled right over. I just knew he'd turn around.

He was really cool, asked about my car, wheels etc... Then noticed my license plate. Thanked me for my yearly contribution and sent me on my way.
In short, possibly waving and the $55 extra added to the price of my plates really paid off.
Attached Images