Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #57
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCarFanBoy View Post
it doesn't make sense on the street how exactly? because it will only run low 12's stock? what does drag racing have to do with street driving? since when do cars have to make sense to be amazing? Have you ever criticized the Z28 with the same argument or do you feel the Z28 makes sense on the street?
Chevy didn't build a version of the Z/28 that was neutered, unable to perform... They were all built to be street legal track cars. A Z/28 can be driven all week AND taken to the track. Emphasis on "and". Ford build a level of thier track car that can not be driven on a track without modification.

Do you own a manual? Go out and drive it on the street while holding the RPMs above 4000. I wouldn't feel very good about it. And no, you don't have to drive it that way but then you're missing the beauty of the Voodoo engine.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:32 AM   #58
Mike502

Drives: 2016 C7 conv 7 speed. Black/black
When the 07 Shelby GT500 came out there was a lot of hype about exclusive , value and heritage. Now some 9 years later there are over 47,000 of them and a dime a dozen. Not to mention the thousands of Shelby's produced by Shelby American. Heck you can send them a 2016 Mustang GT and get a Shelby back for a ton of cash. The Boss cars are OK but that small 5.0 just doesn't have the torque feel of the GT500. The "got to have it green" is just ulgly as hell..... the car only looks right in black. Way too much hype again on the Shelby GT350. Here we go again. I see a older 07 Shelby on the road with those big white stripes and OMG would not be caught dead in one. They were cool back in the 60's but not anymore. Boy racer looks along with a load muffler are just not my thing.
Frankly I'm not a fan of the raspy V/8 sound of the 350R either. Doesn't have that true V/8 sound. The 16SS with NPP sounds much better. Ford said it tried to make the 350 sound more like the 5.0 V/8 but I don't think you can.

Last edited by Mike502; 03-13-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Mike502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:26 AM   #59
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
Chevy didn't build a version of the Z/28 that was neutered, unable to perform... They were all built to be street legal track cars. A Z/28 can be driven all week AND taken to the track. Emphasis on "and".stop being coy, the point was that the Z28 is a horrible car to DD because of the chassis settings and tires Ford build a level of thier track car that can not be driven on a track without modification.to keep MSRP low for those that dont plan on tracking it. If your going to track it buy a TP or add coolers for $500. also Ford built two versions of a street legal track car one slightly slower then the Z28 and one slightly faster...but both cheaper with a bespoke drivetrain and carbon fiber wheels

Do you own a manual? Go out and drive it on the street while holding the RPMs above 4000. I wouldn't feel very good about it. And no, you don't have to drive it that way but then you're missing the beauty of the Voodoo engine. I have owned many manual cars over the years. why would you need to hold the rpm over 4000 to drive it on the street? if the mood strikes to drive it aggressively it will ablige you in spades. Maybe your scared of the rpms?
responses in red
FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:33 AM   #60
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike502 View Post
When the 07 Shelby GT500 came out there was a lot of hype about exclusive , value and heritage. Now some 9 years later there are over 47,000 of them and a dime a dozen. Not to mention the thousands of Shelby's produced by Shelby American. Heck you can send them a 2016 Mustang GT and get a Shelby back for a ton of cash. The Boss cars are OK but that small 5.0 just doesn't have the torque feel of the GT500. The "got to have it green" is just ulgly as hell..... the car only looks right in black. Way too much hype again on the Shelby GT350. Here we go again. I see a older 07 Shelby on the road with those big white stripes and OMG would not be caught dead in one. They were cool back in the 60's but not anymore. Boy racer looks along with a load muffler are just not my thing.
Frankly I'm not a fan of the raspy V/8 sound of the 350R either. Doesn't have that true V/8 sound. The 16SS with NPP sounds much better. Ford said it tried to make the 350 sound more like the 5.0 V/8 but I don't think you can.
you are entitled to your opinions, thx for sharing
Old 03-13-2016, 10:40 AM   #61
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
I do not like the 07 GT500 and feel they are nor attractive.. However, 2013 GT500 and new GT350 look pretty darn good and don't think they'll ever look horrible like the 07.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #62
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
$50k gets you a blank canvas DD with the essentials and lets you decide what direction to take. Ford gives you the foundation....you take it from there.

$55k gets you a very good track car that comes with all the essentials for being a DD but skips the luxury and tech items

$56k gets you the opposite of the $55k option above

anybody who thinks they are going to track a 526hp 8000rpm 3700# car with no tranny/diff coolers is a moron or just plain ignorant.

and 12.1@119 on street tires with a stick from a car that requires alot of launch rpm isnt too shabby

not to mention its a limited production car with a lengenday name.
Apologist is in full force

50k for a blank canvas Mustang? Good luck with that.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 02:16 PM   #63
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Chevy didn't build a version of the Z/28 that was neutered, unable to perform... They were all built to be street legal track cars. A Z/28 can be driven all week AND taken to the track. Emphasis on "and". Ford build a level of thier track car that can not be driven on a track without modification.

Do you own a manual? Go out and drive it on the street while holding the RPMs above 4000. I wouldn't feel very good about it. And no, you don't have to drive it that way but then you're missing the beauty of the Voodoo engine.
And yet, the demand for the z/28 was practically none existent. You can still find them sitting unsold on dealer floors even today.

Why in the hell would you need to hold it at 40000rpm or above? When I'm out in my R, I'm usually cruising around at the same RPM as I did in my ZL1. No, there is not as much torque available at that rpm, but you act like it is non-existent.

You're right, the z/28 was built with one purpose; the track. The fact that you can drive it on the street is a plus, but having owned one, it's not a car that I would ever want to drive on the street on a regular basis. There is a night and day difference between the ride quality on the street between the z/28 at the GT350R. You have a ZL1 (or at least your signature does) so I would argue the ride quality on my R is very similar to that car. Again, have you actually driven both? If no, then where is your basis of your arguements?

Last edited by titanfan; 03-13-2016 at 07:03 PM.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #64
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
you never specified a trim , you spoke directly of the "Voodoo".
I stated the street version in every post. Reading retention isn't your strong suit?

Quote:
stop being coy, the point was that the Z28 is a horrible car to DD because of the chassis settings and tires.
The Z/28 was designed to do one thing. When you see one, you'll know it's not a poser.

Quote:
to keep MSRP low for those that dont plan on tracking it. If your going to track it buy a TP or add coolers for $500. also Ford built two versions of a street legal track car one slightly slower then the Z28 and one slightly faster...but both cheaper with a bespoke drivetrain and carbon fiber wheels
The base GT350 MSRP of $49,995 is a $16,700 increase over the base GT. Lot of money for a stripped street car.

($47,795+ $900 destination + $1,300 gas guzzler)

Quote:
I have owned many manual cars over the years. why would you need to hold the rpm over 4000 to drive it on the street? if the mood strikes to drive it aggressively it will ablige you in spades. Maybe your scared of the rpms?
I wonder if Ford is afraid of those RPMs and excluded the cooler to ensure most won't be driven on the track. Recall the "overrev" feature that was withdrawn.

As for me. Yeah. I would be "scared" of the long term ownership experince of a engine that needs to be driven 4000 to 8000 rpm
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:55 PM   #65
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
Apologist is in full force

50k for a blank canvas Mustang? Good luck with that.
demand seems to be pretty strong.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:04 PM   #66
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Quote:
The base GT350 MSRP of $49,995 is a $16,700 increase over the base GT. Lot of money for a stripped street car.
maybe to you, but sales indicate otherwise. Ford offered the option of taking the car in basic form to allow middle class folks the oppurtunity to have one. the car makes perfect sense just not to you.

And the Z28 was designed to do 2 things...street and track and its far worse on the street than the Shelby. For the record I respect the Z28 for what it is and it makes sense to me
Old 03-13-2016, 07:40 PM   #67
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
For somebody who disdains the GT500 and Boss 302, it didn't seem to keep you from buying them. If they were that much of an ugly eyesore, why would you buy so many?

Quote:
I've owned my share of Shelby GT500's and a few Camaro's. When I drove the new SS last week I bought the damn thing. That's how good I think it is and I even traded in my 13 Boss302.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:45 PM   #68
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
demand seems to be pretty strong.
Is it demand or supply? There are dealers with GT350 sitting. If they were such a demand, they would not be sitting.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:39 PM   #69
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
I spent a fair bit of time flogging a boss 302. Nice car, plenty quicker than a GT. Under the hood is a work of art

However the stereo absolutely sucks and if you flog the car you will have shifting and transmission issues.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:45 PM   #70
TheSpectre

Drives: Boxster GTS
Quote:
maybe to you, but sales indicate otherwise. Ford offered the option of taking the car in basic form to allow middle class folks the oppurtunity to have one. the car makes perfect sense just not to you.
Except between ADM and Ford announcing that all 2017 GT350s will come standard with what was previously called the Track Package, the "base", as it was, is no more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss/r's View Post
Is it demand or supply? There are dealers with GT350 sitting. If they were such a demand, they would not be sitting.
If the demand wasn't there, dealers wouldn't be able to charge ridiculous markups. Those cars you see on lots are the result of greedy dealers and pockets of potential buyers playing a waiting game.
TheSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote