Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 08-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
Ippon14

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet 2ssRs1Le
First time on the track

Heading to BlackHawk tomorrow, first time on a track ever! I'm definitely a little nervous. I hear it's addicting and I've always seen myself as a race car driver so should be fun. Any tips, suggestions?

2015 Jaguar XF
2008 GMC Denali
2013 Cadilac CTS
Ippon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #2
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
I had My first time on the track July 17th. It was definitely intense. I had a great time and I could not believe how sore My arms and legs were the next day. I had an instructor with Me that talks to you a lot so I was not nervous. I believe We had 3 - 30 minute track sessions followed by a 30 min cool down after each session.
Definitely needed it, My brakes never faded but boy were they hot!
As Far as addicting? Eh not in my case. I am glad I did it, My kids actually got Me this for a Fathers day present.
Will I go back? I doubt it because imo it is just too hard on the car. This is My daily driver and I had to wash the wheels 3 times to get all the brake dust and what not off. I just don't want to beat My car like this again.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
It can be addicting, but the most important thing is to have fun!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #4
VroomVroom

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Hope it went well! Having done this a few times now, my best advice? TRACK INSURANCE. My third time out someone hit me and caused $12k in damage. I had track insurance and was able to get repairs started while the other driver's insurance got figured out (they eventually covered all of my damages and I was able to withdraw my claim). Despite this, I find the experience very addicting and will be back out there as soon as the car is rebuilt. Let me know how you liked it, I find very few other new track drivers out and would like to compare experiences. Did you run stock pads and brake fluid?
VroomVroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:40 AM   #5
BlackSmoke

Drives: 2013 Black SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
Hope it went well! Having done this a few times now, my best advice? TRACK INSURANCE. My third time out someone hit me and caused $12k in damage. I had track insurance and was able to get repairs started while the other driver's insurance got figured out (they eventually covered all of my damages and I was able to withdraw my claim). Despite this, I find the experience very addicting and will be back out there as soon as the car is rebuilt. Let me know how you liked it, I find very few other new track drivers out and would like to compare experiences. Did you run stock pads and brake fluid?
I want to do this so bad.. But that's my delay as well is it being hard on the car. Mine isn't a daily driver and I really baby it (2013 - barely 10,000 miles on it) other than if and when I can find anyone to race on the road. Short spirts at a red light or something like that. It is over in a minute. I still think it would be a lot of fun to try track running at least once in this life. I'm sure you will have a blast.
K & N Cold Air Intake, 25% window tint, 2 sets of 6000K LED fogs added, bow ties delete, Pypes catback mid exhaust, MGP Caliper covers, Spyder projection HID 6000K lighting with dual CCFL halos, Technostalgia Rapid Fire LED Tail Lights, blacked out rear bezels, Oracle Ghosted side marker lights, Platinum Ultra Rims, LED tag, dome, trunk lighting, Razzi Ground Effects, Billet Grille, Oracle Concept Mirrors, Eibach Pro Springs,
GM Strut Tower Brace and LED lit door sills.
BlackSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
so with 14000 track miles on the 1LE, the best advice is 2 things: 2 medium-hard laps to warm up the tires (do not try to push it though) and 2. AND MOST IMPORTANT put it in competitive mode so you do not plow through the corners and off of the track. Others will disagree with me, but I doubt ANY of them have near the track time I do. one more thing, if the brakes get soft......get off the track before you boil the fluid and find out the hard way.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Dang man, 14000 miles! that's like 70 track days worth!
Old 10-05-2015, 10:12 PM   #8
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
Yep :-) I have retired it.....Managed to do it with the original clutch too!!! These are awesome cars, but they do have a couple of weak parts (i.e. Brakes and clutch) though. The most interesting part of this adventure was the tire wear out rates, in 60 degree weather they still stick like glue and last 6-8 weekends at 85 degrees they lasted 1. Like all tires, heat makes a huge difference, but in a 4000lb car it is night and day. This is the sole reason I bought a dedicated lightweight car.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote