Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-12-2015, 06:39 PM   #1
Ravenvoyager
ravenVoyager

Drives: 2010 Black SS Camaro
SS Muffler Choices

I was needing some advice. I have a 2010 SS that's been having some annoying issues with one of the mufflers. After researching the issue it looks like there could be a loose baffle inside the muffler. It sounds like a huge bee dodging along side the car at low RPMs. There's a TSB that addresses the issue but the car is out of its 3 year warranty. I'm wanting to go ahead and change out the mufflers and get a more aggressive tone out of the car without having to do an entire exhaust or header modification. I'm looking at the flow master 40's, 10's and Jones Bore but I'm not sure if I will be able to notice a difference since everything I've read so far says that most of the sound restrictions are prevented by the headers, cats and resonators. If I put on the 10's will it make a difference? Will it be loud or just nominal? I would cut out the mufers and run straight pipes but state law prohibits that alteration and were required to get yearly inspections. If anyone has any sound bytes of a stock system with just the muffler change out please share them. Thanks.
Ravenvoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
Zaproy

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS
Slp loudmouth axle backs. They're supposed to be identical to a straight pipe.
Zaproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #3
Ravenvoyager
ravenVoyager

I agree with you Zaproy but our state law specifically says no muffler deletes allowed even though there are no laws restricting motorcycles noise levels.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
ucHuskies

Drives: 2014 SS/RS Blue Ray
Do you have an L99 or an LS3? If l99, the big center resonator may count as a muffler. Check your states definition.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #5
Zaproy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenvoyager View Post
I agree with you Zaproy but our state law specifically says no muffler deletes allowed even though there are no laws restricting motorcycles noise levels.
They're still mufflers though so it's not really a muffler delete. If it's the sound level that is not allowed try to pick up an npp catback or axle back and get npp in a box. You can switch from sounding like a straight pipe to sounding stock in a press of a button.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:02 PM   #6
Ravenvoyager
ravenVoyager

Thanks for the suggestion UCHuskies. It's certainly worth looking into it. This state is very strict with inspections. I always anticipate some kind of issue when I pull in to get it looked over however I'm good until the end of Aug 2016 :-) I'll check into that. Zaproy, are you talking about the loudmouth axle back or loudmouth 2. I appreciate your alls input.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:05 PM   #7
Ravenvoyager
ravenVoyager

Here's the state law: Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise. Such muffler shall be the muffler originally installed by the manufacturer of the vehicle or, if a replacement, the equivalent thereof. No person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:14 PM   #8
Zaproy

I was talking about the loudmouth 2, but DAMN that's harsh, I would definitely look into a used NPP exhaust with npp in a box. You can run with flaps open for that straight pipe sound and then close them to sound like stock when it's necessary. I know I'm definitely gonna try to get my hands on one after I get cammed.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:53 PM   #9
Ravenvoyager
ravenVoyager

It sure is. I had to argue with the inspection stations about the phantom grille even though the State Police said that it's no different then their cruisers equipped with a push guard in front of their headlights. That NPP setup is pretty wicked. I'm going to look into that some more. Here's a YouTube in it if anyone's interested: http://youtu.be/Me-wOYpenbo Thanks Zaproy.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #10
Zaproy

Yea no problem, the only drawback of the NPP is you have to wait for one to pop up in the classifieds. It's definitely worth the wait though.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #11
USMC85
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I have the SLP Loudmouth 2s on my 2010 SS and I would also suggest adding the Summit X pipe and eliminate the resonators too. Initial I left the resonators on and I had a lot of drone at cruising speed. With the X-Pipe the car sounds better and less drone.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #12
nosmr2

Drives: 2011 L99 SS
My SLP loudmouth 2 with factory resonator on my L99 sounds good with no drone. It's really only gets loud when you get on it.

nosmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:29 PM   #13
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
I get a little drone on my Loudmouth2s at 1900 so I just go a little faster.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:46 PM   #14
Ravenvoyager
ravenVoyager

It sounds like the SLPs option is the best way to go if you can't get your hands on an NPP. It's really kinda hard to judge what kind of sounds the SLPs are putting out on YouTube but the majority seems to rule in favor of them. I've heard the resonator delete isn't going to do much unless you put an x pipe in the system like USMC85 was stating. I appreciate everyone chiming in. Thanks again! like what you've done to your ride, thanks for schooling me with your experiences on the muffler issue .

Tags
muffler ss flow master, stock