Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-15-2015, 11:17 PM   #1
Mitchc23

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
1st Timer, Exhaust/Headers Advice

Hello all, this is my first time posting on here; I am hoping to get some advice/opinions on an exhaust or exhaust and LT headers combo.

I bought my 2010 SS LS3 last October and am now ready to start having some fun with it. I bought the car with just under 5k on it.. the previous owner placed a flowmaster exhaust on it (axle-back).

So far, I have only installed a K&N CAI on it but am ready for exhaust and possibly LTH as well. I have been looking at kooks LT headers and Borla's ATAK series exhaust but have read that the combo between the two can be obnoxiously loud. This makes part of me only want to get a cat-back to start and hold off on the headers. I don't mind loud at all but I try to avoid the extra attention. I'm 21, and this is my first LS3; to say the least, I like to have fun with it and am not the most conservative driver.

I am very open minded to other exhaust/headers options. Let me know what you prefer and have had good/bad experience. Appreciate the feedback!!!
Mitchc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:22 PM   #2
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
As you can see down below in my signature I have the kooks headers and borla atak. If you don't want attention you can definetely cruise with that set up and you won't get bothered. But when it's time to step on the gas, that setup is second to none.
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:45 AM   #3
VroomVroom

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I've got a similar question - I've also got a 2010, but its the 2SS. I LOVE the sound, and just want MORE of it (and I won't say no to more horsepower either). I am really new to performance car stuff, so forgive some questions that may be obvious to others:

- What is the difference between the headers and the exhaust? Do they always get replaced together?

- I currently track the car at a track with a 105 dB limit and might want to go to one with a 90 dB limit - do specific exhaust systems have specific max dB values, or will it depend on the car?

- I feel like there are some illegal things involved in exhaust systems, like removing catalytic converter or muffler entirely- what would make the system illegal? I need the car to pass smog, it's my daily driver too.

- I'm sure there's a range, but what do parts cost for this application (i.e. louder sound, horsepower gains, still within legal and track limits)? Do you just buy the exhaust and it comes with everything, or are there other bits and pieces you need?

- What should I expect to pay for labor to have someone (a qualified and good someone) install whatever I purchase?

Any tips/recommendations would be appreciated!
VroomVroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
EnzoR

Drives: 2012 1SS6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchc23 View Post
Hello all, this is my first time posting on here; I am hoping to get some advice/opinions on an exhaust or exhaust and LT headers combo.

I bought my 2010 SS LS3 last October and am now ready to start having some fun with it. I bought the car with just under 5k on it.. the previous owner placed a flowmaster exhaust on it (axle-back).

So far, I have only installed a K&N CAI on it but am ready for exhaust and possibly LTH as well. I have been looking at kooks LT headers and Borla's ATAK series exhaust but have read that the combo between the two can be obnoxiously loud. This makes part of me only want to get a cat-back to start and hold off on the headers. I don't mind loud at all but I try to avoid the extra attention. I'm 21, and this is my first LS3; to say the least, I like to have fun with it and am not the most conservative driver.

I am very open minded to other exhaust/headers options. Let me know what you prefer and have had good/bad experience. Appreciate the feedback!!!
I have the combo you are referring to it is a great sound low and high rpm, your young your suppose to be loud. Get the headers and don't look back. Oh and also don't forget the tune to make it all smooth. I recommend getting both together or wait until you can do both together.
EnzoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #5
EnzoR

Drives: 2012 1SS6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
I've got a similar question - I've also got a 2010, but its the 2SS. I LOVE the sound, and just want MORE of it (and I won't say no to more horsepower either). I am really new to performance car stuff, so forgive some questions that may be obvious to others:

- What is the difference between the headers and the exhaust? Do they always get replaced together?

- I currently track the car at a track with a 105 dB limit and might want to go to one with a 90 dB limit - do specific exhaust systems have specific max dB values, or will it depend on the car?

- I feel like there are some illegal things involved in exhaust systems, like removing catalytic converter or muffler entirely- what would make the system illegal? I need the car to pass smog, it's my daily driver too.

- I'm sure there's a range, but what do parts cost for this application (i.e. louder sound, horsepower gains, still within legal and track limits)? Do you just buy the exhaust and it comes with everything, or are there other bits and pieces you need?

- What should I expect to pay for labor to have someone (a qualified and good someone) install whatever I purchase?

Any tips/recommendations would be appreciated!

Kind of strange you take your Camaro to the track but you are not familiar with the exhaust basics of a car. Either way find six minutes to watch this informative video (
) and the exhaust manifold labeled in the video is what the headers would replace. There are legal aspects to emission testing and the catalytic converters involved but that is a decision you will have to make on your own after you get familiar with your states laws'. Shops charge by the hour but most of the camaro exhaust work can be done on your own with a few tools a friend and a free weekend.

Hope this helps with your question, Also there are HP/TQ gains only with the headers anything else after the cats is placebo effect and not really noticeable other than sound.
EnzoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #6
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchc23 View Post

Long tubes will give you a nice gain. There are some other things to consider. Cost, cats, no cats, coating (ceramic), or bare.

Several companies have different options for our cars. Some as low as a few hundred to those over $1,000 easily. Some have removable catalytic converters and some do not. It will also depend on emissions testing where you are as to if you have issues with inspection with no cats as well. If you go without cats, you will need a custom computer tune for sure. You will benefit from that with cats also, but they can adjust how the rear 02 sensors read if you go catless.

There are a lot of header discussions in the engine performance section of this forum that will serve you better. Check out what people run, if they like it, cost, appearance, ease of install, etc.

I am looking at Texas Speed Performance headers for me down the road, with cats.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:21 PM   #7
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Let me give you some "old fart" advice. Adding headers to any exhaust will make it louder...even stock. So keep that in mind. What happens to so many is, they start with a cat back, then later add headers and find it way too loud..plus they get the annoying drone. Next, cat back systems are money pits. They change the sound but add "0" performance gains. You already have 2.5" dual exhaust....which is all that a good 95% of us need. So, that being said, I would suggest starting with headers and tune.....see what you think. You may be pleasantly surprised how well it sounds. Also, headers + no cats can get very raspy. Headers + hi flo cats will tone it down to a more mellowed rumble. Do your research and take your time. Then make an educated decision. Good luck.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:45 PM   #8
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
I have longtube headers/hiflow cats and stock catback with muffler delete. Sounds amazing. Start with headers before catback
Old 07-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #9
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
I say complete the Flowmaster exhaust, then add a good set of LTH's and HFC's.

I am very happy with the Flowmaster Catback. No drone. I abhor drone...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:21 AM   #10
Mitchc23

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Im leaning towards completing the Flowmaster and throwing in some headers as Spec suggested. I'll be sure to put up a video once everything is installed. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback!
Mitchc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:26 PM   #11
VroomVroom

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Haha, yes, I bought the Camaro on a whim, tried out the track, immediately became addicted, and now have to learn about all the bits and pieces I can add to it. Thanks all for the comments, very helpful!
VroomVroom is offline   Reply With Quote