Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 06-27-2015, 10:27 PM   #1
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Noweeds

Anybody running Auto X or track have Noweeds diverter on their car? I am looking at getting a set, and wanted to see how they held up to track duty, or if they were even legal at tracks TIA.
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
2 days and change with no answer so I'll be the one to ask the obvious questions . . . what is it, what does it do, and why might it not be considered track-acceptable?

Norm
Old 06-30-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
SCCA is trying to be neighborhood friendly with noise. Check with the venue regarding noise rules. Warnings first and above 100dB, run is disqualified for auto-x. My KB with full ARH and Cats get warnings at 96dB on short bursts. At 5' from pipe, it's over 110 on full revs. I'm trying to make my car more quiet...

FYI, Noweeds is a Y-pipe exhaust diverter with a solonoid to run closed, partial, or uncapped.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Thanks Sting. That what I kinda figured. I live about 2 miles from Texas World Speedway, and know guys who run cars out there (typically miatas but a couple v8s) that run straight pipes. I was really hoping someone would have feedback on how they held up being that they are just clamp on units. Do the twist while on a run? Has anyone had one come off? But I do appreciate your answer Sting thanks.
Norm, like Sting said its an electronic exhaust diverter that goes in right behind your cats. You can run it closed (stock) open (LOUD) or a custom setting anywhere in between.
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
Stock Boy

Drives: 2014 1LE
At VIR last year a guy was running them on his SS. It was absolutely one of the best sounding cars out there. Prior to meeting with him I told myself "Whatever exhaust setup he has, I'm going to copy it to the nut and bolt." Lo and behold it was the Noweeds, which I'm not too keen on doing. He said he loses a bit of power with it open and it cooks the underneath of the car. Not at all worth getting for a track car, but damn if it didn't sound good.
Stock Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #6
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Sting and Supe - thanks. That brand name meant nothing to me at all and all I could think of was some sort of aero splitter for the front.

Norm
Old 07-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #7
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
I would not recommend it. But is it a hazard? Not any more than all the clamp on aftermarket exhaust. I got mine with some welds.... It would suck to be kicked off something should say they malfunction open.