Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #183
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
seems like a lot of v8 air intakes for sale in the members classifieds lately, wander why?.....LOL
Really? I got to see it for myself. Lol
Old 03-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #184
SmokinDiesel

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
While the power increase numbers are good they might be actually better when you're driving as you're really getting a better ram affect as air flow is across the entire front end especially where the airbox has it's front feed. Only way to tell is to measure ambient air temp versus air temp in the box, obviously the smaller the delta between the two the more efficient you will run to maximize power. Thanks for sharing your test data.
SmokinDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #185
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
I figured out this intake will work with a whipple, but still unsure if it seals with a pre-2014 hood. Also, does anyone think the windshield washer bottle is in the way?

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:53 PM   #186
CreeperRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDiesel View Post
While the power increase numbers are good they might be actually better when you're driving as you're really getting a better ram affect as air flow is across the entire front end especially where the airbox has it's front feed. Only way to tell is to measure ambient air temp versus air temp in the box, obviously the smaller the delta between the two the more efficient you will run to maximize power. Thanks for sharing your test data.
You're probably right, I was thinking the same thing. The only way to find out is like you said to measure ait to at in the air box. No problem.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:05 PM   #187
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
I looked at the whole washer bottle issue when I had my stock air intake out and I just don't see how it is that big of a deterrent. Air is hitting the car in the front, the 1LE splitter covers most of the bottom to the wheel well. Maybe on non splitter cars the air is more accessable from the bottom, but the air would have to travel backwards and up to get any effect. If you look at the FEA flow data of the Z28 and how the air flows thru the grill and out the hood, but it flows towards the headlights. I think if you mod the plastic part behind the grill directing air at the radiator that this would increase the ram effect. The quickest path is around the back of the headlight to the grill. In mustangs the Drag trick was to pull the headlight at the track.

When I take the bumper cover off this weekend to do the grille, I am going to see if I can design a ram-air scoop or redirect from the grill to the air intake.

Note the air behind the Z28 badge, if the plastic directing was opened up a little I could see it increase. The above pic showing the air movement out of the hood, is the reason I removed the rain deflector. Lower hood pressure means faster times.

Look at the air hitting the headlight area and towards the center, there is alot of resistance that could flow to the filter
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:30 PM   #188
GoldCartridgeGamer

This is true for the gen 5 refresh but what about pre-2014? Its been proven it blocks some air on intakes.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:40 PM   #189
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1SS1LE View Post
I looked at the whole washer bottle issue when I had my stock air intake out and I just don't see how it is that big of a deterrent. Air is hitting the car in the front, the 1LE splitter covers most of the bottom to the wheel well. Maybe on non splitter cars the air is more accessable from the bottom, but the air would have to travel backwards and up to get any effect. If you look at the FEA flow data of the Z28 and how the air flows thru the grill and out the hood, but it flows towards the headlights. I think if you mod the plastic part behind the grill directing air at the radiator that this would increase the ram effect. The quickest path is around the back of the headlight to the grill. In mustangs the Drag trick was to pull the headlight at the track.

When I take the bumper cover off this weekend to do the grille, I am going to see if I can design a ram-air scoop or redirect from the grill to the air intake.

Note the air behind the Z28 badge, if the plastic directing was opened up a little I could see it increase. The above pic showing the air movement out of the hood, is the reason I removed the rain deflector. Lower hood pressure means faster times.

Look at the air hitting the headlight area and towards the center, there is alot of resistance that could flow to the filter
or you can get one of these:
Attached Images

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #190
Bad@ssCamaro

I believe cooler air is pulled from the lower grill. The OEM washer bottle is moved to give room for the scoop.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bad@ssCamaro; 03-23-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:48 PM   #191
GoldCartridgeGamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Those are nice for rotofab, CAI, etc before FI. After FI, they don't matter. I'm trying to see if bottle effects the z/28 at all, but based on a pictures it appears it does not.
Quote:
I believe cooler air is pulled from the lower grill.
On pre-2014? Yes I believe so. That's my concern with how the z/28 intake is shaped on a pre-2014.

How to hug your camaro
Old 03-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #192
Bad@ssCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
Those are nice for rotofab, CAI, etc before FI. After FI, they don't matter. I'm trying to see if bottle effects the z/28 at all, but based on a pictures it appears it does not.

On pre-2014? Yes I believe so. That's my concern with how the z/28 intake is shaped on a pre-2014.
Ok, gotcha. Sorry, I didn't mean to add confusion to the discussion, my response was more for Chris1SS1LE as information if he was not aware of the scoop that is available for cai's.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:09 PM   #193
GoldCartridgeGamer

My apologies. I wasn't sure who your replies were directed towards. I was just trying to add to the conversation and make sure I was clear myself.

How to hug your camaro
Old 03-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #194
CreeperRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1SS1LE View Post

I've been contemplating the same idea, I was thinking of either modifying the plastic baffle behind the badge or removing it. I will like to know what you find out. Keep us posted!
Old 03-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #195
CreeperRS

Quote:
Are those the Z28 brake ducts?
Old 03-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #196
CreeperRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post

I believe the washer bottle relocation will only benefit some Cold Air Intakes, but not the Z28 intake. Seems to me that the Z28 intake can be installed in a pre-14 model without any issues. In order to induce more air flow to the Z28 intake, the plastice baffle behind the SS or Z28 badge would have to be modified or removed!