Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
Innovative

Drives: 53 F100, 15 Z71 Colorado, 06 Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Nice recovery.
Thank you very much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
How can I do this?
It can be done, but it does take some careful prep steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
First mod I did was to install a Headlight Armour protective film on the face plate which took care of that issue. Looks good and you can't tell its there.
PPF always works if you apply it from day 1.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
It's similar to doing a headlight haze repair. You start with a medium polish and finish up with a very light polish.
Junkman, it is very similar as you said to headlight lens restoral, You just have to know which products and pads to work with and the proper rotary speed setting
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
Iv done headlights before so I'll have to try this.
Should be easy then......give it a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets_go_bills View Post
Care to outline the steps/products involved in doing this?
For the following repair, here is what I did.......

Radio Face Repair

Step 1 - Clean thoroughly with Einsette Cockpick Cleaner

Step 2 - Mask all areas around the radio with 3M Blue tape and paper

Step 3 - Using a Rotary polisher and a Meguiars W7204 with M105, add 3 small drops of product on the pad and begin polishing....once polished, remove with a soft MF

Step 4 - Using a Rotary polisher and a Meguiars W8204 with M205, add 3 small drops of product on the pad and begin polishing....once polished, remove with a soft MF

Step 5 - Using a Meguiars W8704 with M21 and a hand applicator, apply sealant to radio face, allow to dry then remove with a MF...

Then your all done!

You can now wrap this area with PPF for future protection and to eliminate future scratches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
here's a question for those who have done this repair job:

The screen is getting scratched by fine particles of dust and what-not. After resurfacing the scratched screen, does the screen remain as scratch prone? Or can it now be safely wiped clean of dust without scratching it again?

If not, ghost armor seems like the only option after scratch removal...
The screen will still be as delicate as it was before, you just have to be extremely careful with what you use,....I highly recommend using Einsette Cockpit Cleaner, it's perfect for nav screens and radio faces....or use the PPF for the best long term protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie628 View Post
it can get scratches again because its still exposed plastic..
+1.......this can happen espesially from running your fingers across the screen as Dylan mentioned. Your skin can be dry and very abrasive which can also induce scrratches...

Thanks again all for your questions.......

This repair if done properly will definitely impress and that feeling of looking at your scratched up radio will be gone!
Innovative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #16
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Not enough Adam's products in the process.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #17
Cbrenthus

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
I used TW ICE (not the interior, but the spray wax) on mine, which was already lightly scratched, and seemed to do a pretty good job. Plus, it feels smoother. I'm happy with it, but I just did that Saturday, so try with caution.
Cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #18
SSYED
Future SS owner

Drives: 2003 Maxima GLE
and for those who have done the repair, you should look into this product.
http://camarodecalstore.com/RADIO-FA...ER-RFC-110.htm

SSYED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #19
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSYED View Post
and for those who have done the repair, you should look into this product.
http://camarodecalstore.com/RADIO-FA...ER-RFC-110.htm
thats a great price.. i was looking at one on another site that cose $35..
Old 03-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #20
NOT A BEE
waiting for the ZL1

Drives: 2010 Matte Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie628 View Post
thats a great price.. i was looking at one on another site that cose $35..
Price difference is a plastic static cling vs a polyurethane with a lifetime warranty...the $35 (ghost armor) will eliminate the need to polish it by filling in all of the scratches

heres a thread on it

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=scratch+proof
NOT A BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #21
KIZE
www.gkiser.com

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, Auto, Summit White. R
What he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
First mod I did was to install a Headlight Armour protective film on the face plate which took care of that issue. Looks good and you can't tell its there.
+1

Roto-fab CAI, GMPP exhaust with tips, Pistol Grip shifter with paddle switches, 'Chevrolet' aluminum kick plates, Aluminum Bow Ties, ClearBra front bumper/facia + side views + gills + behind door handles. SS floormats. www.gkiser.com
KIZE www.gkiser.com
KIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #22
Coop 2010
Delivered 05/20/2009

Drives: Black 2010 2SS RS
Nothing wrong with static cling does the job and it's cheaper...You cannot see the scratches after this is applied either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A BEE View Post
Price difference is a plastic static cling vs a polyurethane with a lifetime warranty...the $35 (ghost armor) will eliminate the need to polish it by filling in all of the scratches

heres a thread on it

Coop 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #23
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Two things. I don't think that a rotary polisher is mandatory for this repair. As a matter of fact, I would rather see someone who has not done this before use a orbital instead because of the soft nature of the plastic lens. Also, M105 has some serious cut to it. I would rather start out with something lighter like SHR, or for you Meguiar's guys, Medium or even Fine Cut Cleaner. You can always step up in your cut and it's best to start lighter than heavy.

My lenses are so small that I would have to use a Dremel tool to buff on them. :(

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #24
organgrinder

Drives: 55 nomad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A BEE View Post

heres a thread on it

a plastic static cling with a lifetime warranty and a huge price difference...oh ya and incredibly easy install.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #25
gatortuba

Drives: 2017 Camaro V6 RS
Quixx headlight restoration kit works perfectly. No need for a buffer.
gatortuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #26
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovative View Post
Thank you very much...

It can be done, but it does take some careful prep steps

PPF always works if you apply it from day 1.....

Junkman, it is very similar as you said to headlight lens restoral, You just have to know which products and pads to work with and the proper rotary speed setting

Should be easy then......give it a try!

For the following repair, here is what I did.......

Radio Face Repair

Step 1 - Clean thoroughly with Einsette Cockpick Cleaner

Step 2 - Mask all areas around the radio with 3M Blue tape and paper

Step 3 - Using a Rotary polisher and a Meguiars W7204 with M105, add 3 small drops of product on the pad and begin polishing....once polished, remove with a soft MF

Step 4 - Using a Rotary polisher and a Meguiars W8204 with M205, add 3 small drops of product on the pad and begin polishing....once polished, remove with a soft MF

Step 5 - Using a Meguiars W8704 with M21 and a hand applicator, apply sealant to radio face, allow to dry then remove with a MF...

Then your all done!

You can now wrap this area with PPF for future protection and to eliminate future scratches.

The screen will still be as delicate as it was before, you just have to be extremely careful with what you use,....I highly recommend using Einsette Cockpit Cleaner, it's perfect for nav screens and radio faces....or use the PPF for the best long term protection

+1.......this can happen espesially from running your fingers across the screen as Dylan mentioned. Your skin can be dry and very abrasive which can also induce scrratches...

Thanks again all for your questions.......

This repair if done properly will definitely impress and that feeling of looking at your scratched up radio will be gone!
Thanks for the info but with the Adams website being so lame, you cant search on product codes, do you have product names?
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #27
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Necrothread

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk