The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #85
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
what I was saying is that 2 weeks before Christmas the cops are out in the evenings, in force, looking for people coming home from holiday parties drunk. a very dangerous time to be speeding, as far as getting caught. there are certain times you don't chance speeding cause cops are everywhere, and that's one of them. new years eve is another, and so is Halloween.

but I agree with you man, VA sucks when it comes to traffic laws, and penalties. especially the part of the state your in. detectors are illegal, and they do that anything over 80 is reckless. that pretty much gives them a blank check to write reckless tickets on half the states interstates as many have posted speeds of 70 mph, and traffic moves at 85. with that being said, I set my speed warning to 65, and would never, not even for a second, go 100mph. I know what they'll do to you here.

I've never lived in MD, but i highly doubt 100mph would have just got you a $200 ticket. and they love to pull people over up there too, especially on the ICC

Last edited by jd10013; 12-29-2013 at 08:50 AM.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #86
STI_TO_SS?

Drives: '14 2SS RS 1LE
Going forward, you need a plan for the future. Did you know there is a road course probably 2 hours from where you live (Roebling Road, www.roeblingroad.com), that has a 3000 feet front straight where you can experience 150 mph at least seven times per session for up to four sessions a day (usually a weekend type event)for around $250? One of the earlier posters recalled a friend who daily drives a truck and saves his sports car for the weekend. You might want to consider the same approach. I suggest you check out High Performance Driving Education Events (HPDE) where you can go fast legally and safely.
Past muscle: 1988 RS Camaro, 1966 Mustang GT
Past rice: 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S
STI_TO_SS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #87
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
what I was saying is that 2 weeks before Christmas the cops are out in the evenings, in force, looking for people coming home from holiday parties drunk. a very dangerous time to be speeding, as far as getting caught. there are certain times you don't chance speeding cause cops are everywhere, and that's one of them. new years eve is another, and so is Halloween.

but I agree with you man, VA sucks when it comes to traffic laws, and penalties. especially the part of the state your in. detectors are illegal, and they do that anything over 80 is reckless. that pretty much gives them a blank check to write reckless tickets on half the states interstates as many have posted speeds of 70 mph, and traffic moves at 85. with that being said, I set my speed warning to 65, and would never, not even for a second, go 100mph. I know what they'll do to you here.

I've never lived in MD, but i highly doubt 100mph would have just got you a $200 ticket. and they love to pull people over up there too, especially on the ICC
Stop rounding up! 98 isn't 100! In md it's a pre payable offense that gives you 5 (correction - 6 points) negative points. You don't have to live in md to know this...google it

Last edited by Msmall143; 12-29-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #88
Msmall143

Quote:
Originally Posted by STI_TO_SS? View Post
Going forward, you need a plan for the future. Did you know there is a road course probably 2 hours from where you live (Roebling Road, www.roeblingroad.com), that has a 3000 feet front straight where you can experience 150 mph at least seven times per session for up to four sessions a day (usually a weekend type event)for around $250? One of the earlier posters recalled a friend who daily drives a truck and saves his sports car for the weekend. You might want to consider the same approach. I suggest you check out High Performance Driving Education Events (HPDE) where you can go fast legally and safely.
I get your point but I have no issue drivin at the speed limit because of the car. This was an isolated incident. If I have issues moving forward I'd consider your suggestion. Not for a 1 time ticket.

This isn't a self restraint thing. This was more of a "I did not realize the penalties thing". Had I known I wouldn't have done it. Now I know, so I won't be doing it again.

150 is way different than 98.

And again, my speedo didn't even say 90
Old 12-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #89
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
Stop rounding up! 98 isn't 100! In md it's a pre payable offense that gives you 5 negative points. You don't have to live in md to know this...google it

your assuming they don't cite you for reckless. the same is true in VA. they could have cited you with speeding 20+ over the limit which is also prepayable, but they didn't. I really doubt MD would either. I've had a couple occasions where I was going more than 20 over, but the officer cited me with 11-19 MPH over speeding. in both instance they told me they were cutting me some slack and citing me for the lowest speed they got me at (was slowing down in both instances). but I wasn't going 98 mph either. I think the first was 60 in a 35 (didn't see the speed limit change from 55 t 35) and the second was 81 in a 55 (new car, was opening it up ). I think. the last was about 15 yr ago, and the first about 20 so I could be wrong about the exact speeds
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #90
RoadieWingZ

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeyuhh View Post
So on the 19th of November I was going to vist my sister in south Georgia and I was all alone with nobody around for miles so I hit the gas and as soon as I did there were 2 cops sitting in the middle of the road. Well i saw them and was like noooooo!!! so i slowed down but by then I knew it was over. So they pulled me over and arrested me for super speeding. When i was slowing down I looked at the speedometer and it said 82, well i was in a 65 so i didn't think the ticket was gonna be that bad, but the first thing he asked was "do you know how fast you were going", so i said 82 but he said 102. so I got a $1,200 bond and $200 for super speeding and $200 for reckless driving. I was just notified this last saturday that my license is suspended for 6 months and I am not allowed to apply for a hardship license. Does anybody have any advice as what I can do? But I guess you gotta learn the hard way.
On board computer may have your top speed registered if your sure you weren't going as fast as the ticket was written for and that session was indeed the fastest you ever drove the car....

2013 Camaro LS
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #91
STI_TO_SS?

Drives: '14 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
I get your point but I have no issue drivin at the speed limit because of the car. This was an isolated incident. If I have issues moving forward I'd consider your suggestion. Not for a 1 time ticket.

This isn't a self restraint thing. This was more of a "I did not realize the penalties thing". Had I known I wouldn't have done it. Now I know, so I won't be doing it again.

150 is way different than 98.

And again, my speedo didn't even say 90
My advice is for anyone who finds it hard to resist the temptation under the right foot. A lot of my friends are surprised when they learn I have not had a speeding ticket since '98. I get it out of my system at the right place, and it is awesome therapy as well. Not everybody knows of the HPDE outlet. Roebling is extra nice because of the long front straight. It feels really good to be able to exercise the cars the way the engineers intended in the right environment.
Past muscle: 1988 RS Camaro, 1966 Mustang GT
Past rice: 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S
STI_TO_SS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #92
Cheeyuhh

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Deer aren't on this road in dc. It wasnt a holiday, it was a holiday party 2 weeks prior to Xmas.

Thanks for the name calling though...classy!

Did you even read the post that my speedo was off by more than 10 mph?

I dropped from 6th to 4th and punched it for 2-3 seconds on a 4 lane highway with not a car in site. Not defending my actions but an idiot I am not!

Your post offered zero intelligent insight
Cheeyuhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #93
Msmall143

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
your assuming they don't cite you for reckless. the same is true in VA. they could have cited you with speeding 20+ over the limit which is also prepayable, but they didn't. I really doubt MD would either. I've had a couple occasions where I was going more than 20 over, but the officer cited me with 11-19 MPH over speeding. in both instance they told me they were cutting me some slack and citing me for the lowest speed they got me at (was slowing down in both instances). but I wasn't going 98 mph either. I think the first was 60 in a 35 (didn't see the speed limit change from 55 t 35) and the second was 81 in a 55 (new car, was opening it up ). I think. the last was about 15 yr ago, and the first about 20 so I could be wrong about the exact speeds
I'm not assuming any thing! why are you being so dense? I am comparing reckless driving in virginia to reckless driving in Maryland. Same speed, same driving record, same everything....except for the punishment. VA is way worse!

Why dont you believe me when I say it would be drastically different in MD? Why do you challenge things if you dont even have a general understanding.

Why not do the google search yourself...? You keep assuming you know the laws in md but in turn quote me and say im assuming things. I am aware reckless driving and speeding are to different charges. But VA puts people in jail for the first offense!

In md they have a point base system...

You can read about it here...http://www.dmv.org/md-maryland/traff...-penalties.php

reckless driving would have added 6 negative points to my license which would have put me at -5

In md -5 would require me to go to a driver class. the driving class then adds 5 good points putting me at zero points!

"Accumulating points on your driving record will prompt the MVA to take the following actions:
  • Three to four points within a two-year span―The MVA will send you a warning letter
  • Five to seven points within a two-year span―You'll be required to enroll in a Driver Improvement Program (DIP)
  • Eight to 11 points within a two-year span―Your driver's license will be suspended
  • Twelve or more points―Your license will be revoked "
Here is an article specifically referancing how va cost speeders way more than MD. I didnt read it because i already know the facts

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/200...iving-speeding

DO YOU SEE RECKLESS DRIVING ON THIS LIST?????

Under Maryland traffic laws, offenses are divided into two categories. The more serious driving offenses are called incarcerable offenses, meaning that you can serve jail time if you are found guilty of the charges.

Incarcerable traffic offenses include:
  • Driving on a suspended license
  • Driving on a Revoked license
  • Driving without a license
  • Driving without Insurance
  • Fraudulent Use of a license
  • DUI/DWI
  • Leaving the Scene of an Accident (Hit and Run)
  • Failure to Remain at Scene of Accident Involving Bodily Injury
  • Failure of Driver to Stop After Unattended Vehicle Damage
  • Manslaughter by Automobile
Old 01-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #94
Pi kappa alpha

Drives: SS Vert
Updates?
Old 01-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #95
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Old 03-14-2014, 10:39 PM   #96
Cheeyuhh

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Update.

I ended up taking the punishment. It's been about 3 and a half months without driving. Gives me plenty of time to do the mods that I've been wanting to do. Sucks but you pay to play. Had to go to driving school to reduce some points from my license. It was so pointless but whatever it takes! This April is when I'm gonna find out how bad the insurance is gonna be. I took the whole week of June 16th off from work cause that's when I can drive again. Can't wait! I'm still gonna speed just on a track