Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Vai

Drives: In the process of buying a Cam
Can someone please assist me in ordering snow tires?

I just got a 2013 RS and it has the RS wheels. I want to get the best size of wheels for the snow. Would I get 17" or 18"? Also, I know there is a size difference between the front and back. Can someone please let me know the exact size I need to look for? I will try to use tire rack in the meantime and hopefully all goes well and I don't order the wrong thing lol.

Thanks!
Vai
Vai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
JacekPSUr1
2013 1SS in IOM

Drives: 2013 1SS
These are the tire sizes you might look into, but if you are getting a package (tires and wheels in one), you should see what tire sizes are recommended specifically for those wheels. Another thing to consider, tire rack will not sell you tires already mounted and balanced WITHOUT you buying tire sensors, unless you want to have them shipped separately and have your local tire shop mount and balance them for you.

17" wheels: 235/65-17
18" wheels: 245/55-18
19" wheels: 245/50-19
20" wheels: 245/45-20

Last edited by JacekPSUr1; 12-25-2013 at 07:36 AM.
JacekPSUr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
Vai

Thanks Jacek. I think I should go with 18" but don't the front and back tires have to be different sizes? I pmed the tirerack guy on his forum but he has not yet responded. Also, is the mounting and balancing a major thing to do when having them installed? Are tire sensors very expensive that it may deter people of getting them balanced instead of just shipping?

Sorry, I'am completely new to this and just go to the tire shop and they do the rest. I've never had to select my own tires =/
Old 12-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
JacekPSUr1
2013 1SS in IOM

Drives: 2013 1SS
If you are looking to get a Winter package - wheels and tires, you really don't want to go staggered, unless you will just be adding tires on your RS 20" wheels. Having all 4 same size wheels and tires will let your Camaro handle better in the snow. Not to mention your tires will be cheaper and you can switch them from front to back. The smaller the diameter the better and cheaper. Looking at tirerack, the 17" wheels will fit a V6 Camaro just fine. Going with a smaller diameter will also give you more tire choices as there aren't too many models to chose from in the 20" tire size. SS is different - smallest you can go is 19" without adding wheel spacers in order to clear Brembo calipers, which is what I went with:

Btw, as I mentioned earlier, if you go through TireRack, all 4 sensors are about $212, which is pretty pricey.
Try to find used wheels with Winter tires already installed and you will save lots of money. This is the route I took and it was worth it. You really don't need sensors in winter tires as you only use them for a few months out of the year, but it's all a personal preference. Any of your tire place will mount and balance your tires for you, but they charge for it. It should still be cheaper than paying the extra $$ for additional sensors. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Just an fyi, once you replace your tires without tpms sensors, you will see a warning on your dash telling you to get your sensors aren't working, which is a small inconvenience. When you'll install your RS wheels and tires with sensors in the Spring, you will need to have your sensors relearned, which is easy. There are a few thread on here how to perform that.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
Vai

Thank you once again for the information. I think I will try to find some used tires but so far I have not seen any in the NJ section. Will try craigslist and not sure what other place would have used but will try to google it. Hopefully everything works out and I get them asap. I start work on the 6th and need them soon.