Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
mudchick_alicia

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Question Passenger seat airbag module *need help

I have a 2011 Camaro and recently I purchased a Range after plugging it in for the 2nd time my airbag sensor light has lit up. I don't think that the Range caused this and that is was just coincidence that the light came on.

I have taken my car into the dealership and had them check it out to see what is wrong and for $100 diagnosis charge they have told me that it needs a new passenger airbag sensor...On the repair ticket it is stated as DTC b0081 and b0074 pass sen problem and under part to replace it has: Inflatable restraint front $416.67 but no part#. I have around 55,000 miles and no warranty left and I am not paying them $700 to fix this (that was total after labor) I have gotten a price for a new module that is less than $400.

I have read the TSB PI-0241 which states Chevrolet: sir/airbag indicator/light on in the instrument panel cluster (ipc); dtcs b0074 and b0081 set. do not replace the passenger presence system (pps) module or sensing and diagnostic module (sdm) for this concern. Came from this link http://www.faqs.org/car/chevrolet-camaro-2011/air-bags/

I have disconnected the battery and fully removed the passenger seat from my car and disconnected the airbag module in hopes of letting it reset. I even removed the leather from the bottom of the seat to check the sensor pad for tears around the push pins that hold it on the seat frame and did not see any. I let it sit disconnected 24hrs and once I put seat back in connected everything back up....cranked the car and the airbag light immediately came on . The light stays on the entire time I drive and if I have a passenger it will ding every minute and the service airbag light keeps popping up.

My question is if anyone reads any of this is....should the module just be reset at the dealership? If I replace the module myself I'm guessing I still have to go to the dealership to let them reprogram the sensor? If it says on the TSB do not replace anything why is the dealership wanting to replace the sensor? The part number for the module that I think has to be replaced is 92244691

This thread shows the insides of the seat http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176927

Another member sent me this information about the codes

DTC B0074

Diagnostic Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle in Vehicle Diagnostic Information prior to using this diagnostic procedure.
Review Strategy Based Diagnosis in Vehicle Diagnostic Information for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
Diagnostic Procedure Instructions in Vehicle Diagnostic Information provides an overview of each diagnostic category.
DTC Descriptors

DTC B0074 00:
Passenger Presence Sensor Circuit Malfunction

DTC B0074 04:
Passenger Presence Sensor Open

Circuit/System Description

The passenger presence module monitors the passenger presence sensor status continuosly. Whenever the passenger presence sensor has an internal malfunction, the passenger presence module will set DTC B0074.
Conditions for Running the DTC

Ignition voltage is between 9–16 V.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

B0074 00
The passenger presence module has detected a disconnection from the passenger presence sensor.
B0074 04
The passenger presence module has detected an open circuit.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The SDM will set a DTC B0081 00 after receiving a fault present message from the passenger presence module and requests the instrument cluster to illuminate the AIR BAG indicator.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The condition for setting the DTC no longer exists.
A history DTC will clear once 100 malfunction-free ignition cycles have occurred.
Diagnostic Aids

If either the SDM or PPS were replaced verify that the correct part numbers were used for the vehicle application.
If this DTC is set as either current or history it may have been caused by an electronic device. If an electronic device (Computers, MP3 Players, Cell Phones, Diagnostic Scan Tool, etc.) was placed on the passenger seat the passenger presence module may command the passenger air bag indicator to turn on and/or command the passenger seat belt indicator to turn on. Make sure there are no objects on the passenger seat and clear the DTCs. If this DTC resets then perform this diagnostic. If the DTC does not reset there is no further work needed on the passenger presence system.
If this DTC is set as either current or history it may have been caused by an aftermarket seat heater. The aftermarket seat heater may command the passenger air bag indicator to turn on and/or command the passenger seat belt indicator to turn on. Remove the aftermarket seat heater from the passenger seat and clear the DTCs. If this DTC resets then perform this diagnostic. If the DTC does not reset there is no further work needed on the passenger presence system.
Reference Information

Schematic Reference

[link 57773 not found]
Connector End View Reference

Component Connector End Views in Wiring Systems and Power Management
Description and Operation

SIR System Description and Operation in Supplemental Inflatable Restraints
Electrical Information Reference

Circuit Testing in Wiring Systems and Power Management
[link 62112 not found]
Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems and Power Management
[link 61965 not found]
Scan Tool Reference

Control Module References in Programming and Setup for scan tool information
Circuit/System Verification

Note
This system allows you to service each component separately (module and sensor/sensing mat). Perform a Passenger Presence System Rezeroing in Supplemental Inflatable Restraints procedure whenever a component is replaced. Inspect the following component connectors for damage or corrosion. Repair or replace the affected component/connector:
Passenger presence sensor
Passenger presence sensor harness connector
Passenger presence module
Passenger presence module harness connector
Seat wiring harness to vehicle harness connector
The connector and connector position assurance (CPA) may seat independent of each other. Both the connector and CPA should seat with an audible and/or tactile click.
Observe with the scan tool if the fault changes status while moving the passenger seat forward and backward through its full range of motion. The status should stay consistent.
The status changes
If the status changes this could be indication of a seat to vehicle harness connection issue, refer to Circuit/System Testing.
The status does not change
Observe with the scan tool if the fault changes status while moving the harness near each connector listed below. The status should stay consistent.
Passenger presence module
Passenger presence sensor
Any seat harness inline
The status changes
If the reading is erratic while moving the harness, perform the following:
Inspect each connector terminal for damage or corrosion and repair as necessary.
Insure each connector and CPA is correctly seated.
The status does not change
All OK.
Circuit/System Testing

Note
This system allows you to service each component separately (module and sensor/sensing mat). Perform a Passenger Presence System Rezeroing in Supplemental Inflatable Restraints whenever a component is replaced. Inspect component connectors for damage or corrosion. Repair or replace the affected component/connector:
Confirm that all Passenger presence module and sensor connectors are fully seated.
Verify DTC B0074 is not set.
DTC B0074 is set.
Replace the B60 passenger presence sensor.
DTC B0074 does not set.
All OK.
Repair Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification in Vehicle Diagnostic Information after completing the diagnostic procedure.
Control Module References in Programming and Setup for passenger presence sensor and SDM replacement, setup, and programming

DTC B0081 - Passenger Presence Module

Diagnostic Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle in Vehicle Diagnostic Information prior to using this diagnostic procedure.
Review Strategy Based Diagnosis in Vehicle Diagnostic Information for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
Diagnostic Procedure Instructions in Vehicle Diagnostic Information provides an overview of each diagnostic category.
DTC Descriptors

DTC B0081 11:
Passenger Presence Module High Input

DTC B0081 42:
Passenger Presence Module Calibration Not Programmed

Circuit/System Description

When the ignition is turned ON, the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) and the passenger presence module perform tests to diagnose critical malfunctions. Upon a successful power-up mode the SDM will illuminate both PASSENGER AIRBAG ON/OFF indicators located in the overhead center console. If the SDM detects a fault in the passenger presence module, it may disable the front passenger air bag deployment loop, set DTC B0081 and illuminate the AIRBAG indicator.
Conditions for Running the DTC

Ignition voltage is between 9–16 V.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

Any of the following conditions must exist for 5 seconds.
B0081 42
The Passenger Presence Module Rezero procedure has failed.
B0081 11
The passenger presence module has failed the Passenger Presence Module Rezero procedure.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The SDM requests the instrument cluster to illuminate the AIR BAG indicator.
The passenger instrument panel air bag deployment loop will be disabled.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The condition for setting the DTC no longer exists.
A history DTC will clear once 100 malfunction-free ignition cycles have occurred.
Diagnostic Aids

If either the SDM or PPS were replaced verify that the correct part numbers were used for the vehicle application.
If this DTC is set as either current or history it may have been caused by an electronic device. If an electronic device (Computers, MP3 Players, Cell Phones, Diagnostic Scan Tool, etc.) was placed on the passenger seat the passenger presence module may command the passenger air bag indicator to turn on and/or command the passenger seat belt indicator to turn on. Make sure there are no objects on the passenger seat and clear the DTCs. If this DTC resets then perform this diagnostic. If the DTC does not reset there is no further work needed on the passenger presence system.
If this DTC is set as either current or history it may have been caused by an aftermarket seat heater. The aftermarket seat heater may command the passenger air bag indicator to turn on and/or command the passenger seat belt indicator to turn on. Remove the aftermarket seat heater from the passenger seat and clear the DTCs. If this DTC resets then perform this diagnostic. If the DTC does not reset there is no further work needed on the passenger presence system.
Reference Information

Description and Operation

SIR System Description and Operation in Supplemental Inflatable Restraints
Scan Tool Reference

Control Module References in Programming and Setup for scan tool information
Circuit/System Verification

Note
This system allows you to service each component separately (module and sensor/sensing mat). Perform a passenger presence rezero procedure whenever a component is replaced.
Note
The SDM and passenger presence module can set DTC B0081 but with different symptoms bytes. Therefore it is important to identify which module has set the DTC B0081. Use the symptom bytes as a way of identify the correct module to diagnose. Use the table below in identifying specific module DTC B0081 application and symptom byte that sets with it.
DTC
Symptom Bytes
B0081 – SDM
3A
B0081 – Passenger Presence Module
11 42
Note
The SDM sets a B0081 3A when an incorrect passenger presence module is installed.
Verify that DTC B0081 3A is not set in the SDM.
If DTC B0081 3A is set in the SDM
Replace the K85 passenger presence module.
If DTC B0081 3A is not set in the SDM
Note
The SDM sets a B0081 00 DTC when the passenger presence module sets a DTC B0081 11 or B0081 42.
Verify that DTC B0081 11 or DTC B0081 42 is not set in the passenger presence module.
If DTC B0081 11 or DTC B0081 42 is set in the passenger presence module
Perform the passenger presence system rezero procedure. Refer to Passenger Presence System Rezeroing in Supplemental Inflatable Restraints .
If DTC B0081 11 or DTC B0081 42 do not set in the passenger presence module
All OK.
Repair Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification in Vehicle Diagnostic Information after completing the diagnostic procedure.
Control Module References in Programming and Setup for passenger presence module and SDM replacement, setup, and programming

HELP! Please
Old 08-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
You probably do need the PPS sensor. The sensor is a separate part from the PPS module or the SDM.

Also if you replace the sensor you will need to take it in to the dealer to have them re-zero the PPS Module.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
mudchick_alicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggin2 View Post
You probably do need the PPS sensor. The sensor is a separate part from the PPS module or the SDM.

Also if you replace the sensor you will need to take it in to the dealer to have them re-zero the PPS Module.
Are you are saying I need the airbag sensor pad? This part in pic below?
Which is part # 23 on the diagram here http://store.gmpartshouse.com/parts/...iagram=CD10455
Old 08-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Yes that is the PPS sensor.
Well I sure cant say that's what you need because I didn't diag. it, but I have replaced a few of those. Some had visible breakage and some didn't.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
like previous post said without doing the diag myself its really tuff to say but sensor issue or connector issues are known problems here,ive seen more than a few with stretched wiring at the connector in the back of the seat, this seems to happen more if the customers move the seats a lot, hope you get it fixed soon good luck
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
mudchick_alicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggin2 View Post
Yes that is the PPS sensor.
Well I sure cant say that's what you need because I didn't diag. it, but I have replaced a few of those. Some had visible breakage and some didn't.
I didn't notice any tears buts that not to say something could be wrong with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestone_ss View Post
like previous post said without doing the diag myself its really tuff to say but sensor issue or connector issues are known problems here,ive seen more than a few with stretched wiring at the connector in the back of the seat, this seems to happen more if the customers move the seats a lot, hope you get it fixed soon good luck
I didn't notice any stretched wires or any connectors that were loose. And my daughter loves to move the seat back all the time Who knows? I may start with the sensor pad first and go from there....I just wish I still had warranty left because these parts are expensive and I miss driving my car.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Edog2

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I am having the exact same thing. One dealer wanted to replace the mat and the module. I called about the PI-0241 and was able to get more than the do not replace statment statment once they found it. It was going into the clip that holds the mat down can tear it around the hole (the pic above shows the clip). I am out of warranty too and think that this kind of obvious manufacturing defect should be covered still. I mean how many times are you allowed to move your seat? Heck mine is only used in 5% of my miles. The light came on once and went off then about a couple months later came on and stayed on.

Have you had any luck in finding the sensor mat for sale on its own? I followed the link above and there was no price listed. I really wnat the dealer to run those final reprogram steps to clear and reset the system before I invest too much money in it though. They said I have code b0074 and b0081, but the extra 2 digits are not listed.
Edog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
mudchick_alicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edog2 View Post
I am having the exact same thing. One dealer wanted to replace the mat and the module. I called about the PI-0241 and was able to get more than the do not replace statment statment once they found it. It was going into the clip that holds the mat down can tear it around the hole (the pic above shows the clip). I am out of warranty too and think that this kind of obvious manufacturing defect should be covered still. I mean how many times are you allowed to move your seat? Heck mine is only used in 5% of my miles. The light came on once and went off then about a couple months later came on and stayed on.

Have you had any luck in finding the sensor mat for sale on its own? I followed the link above and there was no price listed. I really wnat the dealer to run those final reprogram steps to clear and reset the system before I invest too much money in it though. They said I have code b0074 and b0081, but the extra 2 digits are not listed.
If you have a tear in your mat the passenger presence sensor then to me you would just need that replaced but it would still have to be taken to the dealer to be re-zeroed. That is the part that senses the weight of the passenger. I agree seems that this is a common problem with these airbag sensors and modules but apparently not enough to make them do a recall.

I haven't bought any of the parts yet. The part under the seat that is the thin mat is called the passenger presence sensor part# 20972507 yes I have gotten quotes for the prices on the part. The airbag module (small black box) part #92244691
Send MaureenM@RodgersChevrolet a pm she can get you a price for the module and the presence sensor. They have excellent customer service I have bought parts from them before.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Members with 2011's say they got this recall notice.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316054
Old 09-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
mudchick_alicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
Members with 2011's say they got this recall notice.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316054
That recall was for 2012's I did have them check mine for a recall and there weren't any. Maybe some later 2011 were included in the recall? Not mine though
Old 09-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
Edog2

There were 2 TSB's, but I guess my VIN wasnt in either of them.

SB-10-09-001A
SB-10-09-001B

It is a shame that I will still have to take it in for the reset. If I see damage I was going to try to just solder it, if it looks like that will fix it. But without the reset I would never know. Heck it could be good right now just from having tightened the connections and it looks like I wouldnt know for 100 starts. The light came on and stayed on after I slid the seat forward to clean under the seat. Thats why I thought it was just a loose wire.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
Edog2

Opps, see I am a dummy, that is the part listed on the quote from the dealer. But in my defense, it was also the price I got when I was researching the module too. So I guess I might as well take it to the dealer.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
When my 2010 had the Pass airbag light problem, I also had an Onstart error code.
Brought it in they re-flashed and installed all updates and the Airbag light went away.
Never came back either. Something to do with the sensitivity of the module under the console? wish I could re-member but it was a long time ago.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #14
Edog2

I have gone ahead and ordered the sensor. Hopefully they will TShoot before installing, but who knows.

Tags
airbag, module, passenger, sensor