Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
aaronbv16
Aaronbv

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS Victory Red
What is a good oil for winter storage?

I'm storing my SS for the upcoming month's. What is a good choice of oil to use?
aaronbv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
I would change to a 0W-30W with Zinc additive (Amsoil, Redline, Motul to name a few) which helps maintain a coating on all of the metal surfaces. Let the engine fully warm up and circulate the new oil. GM does not recommend those oils because they do not burn off as well and may cause catalytic converters to clog. But for short term use like this, should be no issue. Protecting the internal components is the key focus.

If you are truly obsessed, remove the spark plugs and inject a little oil into the cylinders. Reinstall the spark plugs (or an old set of used plugs for storage) without torquing them completely, and crank the motor briefly. (Don't let the engine fire.) This will coat the combustion chamber and cylinder walls with a protective layer of oil. Don't restart the car until storage is over. You will need to change the spark plugs back to your good ones or buy new ones.

Lots of knowledge on this site so sure some good recommendations (corrections where I made mistakes) will be made.
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
phess11

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
If your oil is not ready for a change, don't change it. There is no magic about new oil sitting motionless in an engine versus older oil sitting motionless in your engine. If the older oil is going to be harmful sitting motionless in your engine, then wouldn't that oil be worse if the engine was actually moving and causing friction? Any benefits to storing with new oil versus old will be seen, maybe at around 2 million miles. I think we need to use our heads a little and not keep dumping perfectly good oil because of our paranoia. GM does not have a vendetta against oil companies. I am sure there oil indicator is backed by very conservative equations. All I ask is that we fight our paranoia's.
phess11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Part of oils job is to clean, old oil will contain acids and contamination in it, changing it before storage gets this out.
The best oil to use is what you want in the car in the spring when you start it, no need to change it again in the spring.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
HaulnJ

Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS3 GFX Heritage grill
Use the same oil you always use. Change it right before you put it away for the winter. If for some reason you need to start it while it's in hibernation make sure you get it up to operating temperature. That will ensure to keep the moisture out of the engine components. I always use mobil 1 5w-30 but amsoil is also a good substitute or any other quality full synthetic will work.
HaulnJ is offline   Reply With Quote