Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #29
mcamisgroup

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Shelby....Go ahead and accept the newly painted door. I have had several cars where something like this has happened, been repainted perfectly by the dealer and after 5 years showed no fading or ill effects. Just make sure to put a paint sealant on it after about 60 days to seal in the clear. With your low vin and the potential long wait on ordering a 13, I would hang onto your original beauty. With all the great customer service you are getting and the massive guilt they are feeling at the dealership, they will have every eye on that door. Make sure after it is done to look at it in full sunlight and in bright flourescent.
mcamisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #30
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
There is no ordering another car because of a door dent.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #31
Shelby

Drives: 2010 SS/RS (hers), 2013 ZL1 (his)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
Let them fix it it's no biggie the dealerships body shop I am sure has painted 100's if not 1000's of cars and parts of cars it's normal. painters can do amazing things they will make it look like factory it's really no different then if someone backed into your car and you needed to get the bumper re-painted. It's life Shit happens let them fix it.
I guess the difference to us right now is that we've never owned a $60,000 car, and this didn't happen on "our watch." But, yeah--as I've mentioned repeatedly--we ARE going to let them fix it and "go from there." I think asking for a lifetime warranty on the paintwork might be a good idea, though.
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #32
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
I guess the difference to us right now is that we've never owned a $60,000 car, and this didn't happen on "our watch." But, yeah--as I've mentioned repeatedly--we ARE going to let them fix it and "go from there." I think asking for a lifetime warranty on the paintwork might be a good idea, though.
Lifetime warranty on paint is what in your perspective?
Old 08-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #33
Shelby

Drives: 2010 SS/RS (hers), 2013 ZL1 (his)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcamisgroup View Post
Shelby....Go ahead and accept the newly painted door. I have had several cars where something like this has happened, been repainted perfectly by the dealer and after 5 years showed no fading or ill effects. Just make sure to put a paint sealant on it after about 60 days to seal in the clear. With your low vin and the potential long wait on ordering a 13, I would hang onto your original beauty. With all the great customer service you are getting and the massive guilt they are feeling at the dealership, they will have every eye on that door. Make sure after it is done to look at it in full sunlight and in bright flourescent.
Thanks for the advice! It is getting glass-coated, just like the rest of the car.
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #34
11_Camaro

Drives: 2022 Hyundai Veloster N
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MtnGoat View Post
Give the dealer a shot at fixing it. My '04 GTO had a spot on it from the factory. I let the dealer repair the defect. Almost 8 year later when I parted with the Goat you could not tell. If their body shop is any good the repair will not be noticable. Get a lifetime warrenty on the repair.
^^^This.

I have had body work done on previous vehicles and even after more than 8 years you still could not tell. A good body shop can go a long way.
11_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #35
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
There is no ordering another car because of a door dent.
Why not? It's not like they'd be giving it to her. They would just let her trade her current one in on the new one even-Steven. Then they fix the door and sell that one, probably still close to sticker. They won't lose out really.

Shelby... Just let them fix the door. This is so not a big deal. You do realize people have Lamborghinis and Ferraris repaired and probably don't make such an issue out of it. I know you think you have some unicorn that's going to be priceless in 40 years and you're worried about a dent repair effect that. Well, sorry to say you don't. It's just a Chevy. Drive the piss out of it and enjoy it now.

Just sent... don't want to offend anyone.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #36
OldScoolCamaro

The commom misperspective is just because people pay 60 grand is that there should be no issues with their car and the manufacturer should he held liable and to a higher standard above and beyond reasonable expectations on quality. The quality involved with the Zl1 is not much different than a Chevy Cruze. Do a price comparison for yourself and then be the judge.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #37
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
First, the dealer shouldn't be putting anything on the paint. Simonize glass coat or whatever is nothing but a snake oil money grab. GM has plenty of documentation that nothing is to be put on the paint but wax. So, from the get go your dealing with crooks.

Second, they wrecked your car. Settle for nothing less than a new car ordered right now. Anything short of that, sue for triple damages. But that's just me, nobody wrecks my collector car and gets away with patching it back together with repairs.

If you cave into accepting a repaired car, at least research the diminished value of a replaced door and repaint on the resale value. They owe you thousands in diminished value, everyone searches Carfax now before buying a used car.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #38
OldScoolCamaro

Disagree. GM does not owe "thousands" to a new car owner soley because a door dent was repaired. You must document that one before making such a bold claim.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #39
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Disagree. GM does not owe "thousands" to a new car owner soley because a door dent was repaired. You must document that one before making such a bold claim.
GM doesn't, the dealer does. Diminished value is real. I may be in the market for a used ZL1 in a year or two. I sure won't be buying one that has had body work.

I just traded in a 3 yr old Acadia for a new Enclave daily driver. First thing the used car manager asked me on my trade.... any accidents? No. OK, let me check Carfax real quick, and if that is clean we should be able to put a decent appraisal on it....... and they did.

Just my opinion, many others may differ and think body work is no biggie.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #40
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Done right, the paint job the dealer would do to the new car will last just as long as the factory paint job. No worries there.

People that ask for a whole new car for every little flaw they may find are just insane.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #41
OldScoolCamaro

Not happening in retail sales. Possibly within your insight. Agreed, checking the background of a car for any repairs is paramount for making an informed decison prior to a purchase, but everthing is not documented 100 percent within carfax or the data chain however.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #42
AIminiS10

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 - #1564
I didn't read through the whole thread, but to answer the question, the paint will not fade any different than the rest of the car. If the painter is good, in which I am assuming since he is the dealership autobody place, it will look good. To do the job correct, the painter will have to paint part of the quarter and the fender to "blend" the color and you won't even notice a difference.

I am going through a kind of similar problem where there dealer took a chunk of paint and scratch on my quarter panel. They are repainting the quarter panel and if they don't do it right, they will try again.

Good luck and glad to see the dealer is taking care of you properly.

2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1 #1564
1969 Chevy Chevelle
2000 Honda CBR 929rr
2013 Focus ST (daily)
AIminiS10 is offline   Reply With Quote