The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2012, 03:12 AM   #57
SixGracing

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6
I think all car guys should go into stocks. The speculations are astounding to say the least..... if they are in fact remotely true..
Old 05-01-2012, 05:23 AM   #58
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
Ok then. Nevermind, and have a great day!
No, seriously I was asking what SAE standard. Saying SAE is incomplete unless it is followed with a more specific reference to a standard number. That is all I am saying.

I'm not trying trying to pick any fights here at all. It's just that 99% of the people on here do not understand how these ratings are corrected and whatthe difference is between gross and net. It seems some in this thread still do not. I'm leaving a lot out and was trying to give a general overview. Just understand that thes ratings may be generated differently from mfr. to mfr.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #59
1ltcap
Banned

Drives: 2012 mustanng gt, 1968 chevy camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I don't really believe that the GT500 will destroy the ZL1 anywhere. I think it will be a drivers race with many automatic ZL1s showing the GT500 the door. These cars are too close for either to destroy the other in a far fight with good drivers.
although i went out of my way to be sure to buy a stick car, i think todays automatics seem to be much much better than their manual counterparts. unlike years past.
1ltcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #60
1ltcap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
I'm actually a bit tired of the Shelby moniker now. Well actually I was personally turned off way back in 2007 with all the price gouging and supposed collectible nature of the 2007 GT500... ha.ha.HA! But that is neither here nor there and really not Shelby's fault directly, just people getting starstruck by the name Shelby.

The real reason I'm tired of it, is that the GT500 (especially in the case of the 2013) is full creation of SVT. SVT deserves the credit entirely, and Shelby shouldn't have his name associated with it at all especially when all he really does these days is body kits and boost (slight exaggeration). This car IMHO should immediately revert back to the Cobra name plate. I know Cobra and the cobra symbol also have their roots with Shelby, but I believe those symbols are more associated with SVT given the Cobra and Cobra R models SVT produced over the last 20 years, and I really really really believe SVT should getting all the name recognition.

I really hope that at least with the next generation Mustang they go back to Cobra.
i think someone else owns the cobra name, and ford can't use it anymore. i'm not sure about that though.
i'm fairly sure that carrol shelby is making a boatload of money off of ford for letting them put his name on these mustangs. i also think part of why ford's using this name, rather than svt, is because it has more of a history.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #61
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ltcap View Post
i think someone else owns the cobra name, and ford can't use it anymore. i'm not sure about that though.
i'm fairly sure that carrol shelby is making a boatload of money off of ford for letting them put his name on these mustangs. i also think part of why ford's using this name, rather than svt, is because it has more of a history.
Well hell I hope that isnt true. Yeah I understand the history thing especially after the S197 went retro in appearance, I guess that is why I hope they can or will use cobra for the next generation at least...but if they can't they can't.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #62
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
When SVT calls me to get my approval to use the Cobra name again, I will have to think about it.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #63
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
I don't really believe that the GT500 will destroy the ZL1 anywhere. I think it will be a drivers race with many automatic ZL1s showing the GT500 the door. These cars are too close for either to destroy the other in a far fight with good drivers.
Once both cars get traction the gt500 is going to put a hurtin' on the zl1. The power/weight difference is enormous. 2013 gt500 power to weight ratio > z06 power to weight ratio. At the higher speeds it's going to show. However, I do think the zl1 is going to be easier to handle for your average driver, especially the auto model.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #64
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
I love bench racing

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #65
1ltcap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Once both cars get traction the gt500 is going to put a hurtin' on the zl1. The power/weight difference is enormous. 2013 gt500 power to weight ratio > z06 power to weight ratio. At the higher speeds it's going to show. However, I do think the zl1 is going to be easier to handle for your average driver, especially the auto model.

know what i wonder though, about the zl? i'm sure you've seen that video where a magazine writer porked it at vir?
i think it spun? watching the continental tire challenge at barber track a few weeks ago, i noticed that the only top running camaro also spun. i don't see the solid axle cars doing that as often.
i'm wondering if that car manages to instill a false sense of confidence in its drivers?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #66
8cd03gro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ltcap View Post
know what i wonder though, about the zl? i'm sure you've seen that video where a magazine writer porked it at vir?
i think it spun? watching the continental tire challenge at barber track a few weeks ago, i noticed that the only top running camaro also spun. i don't see the solid axle cars doing that as often.
i'm wondering if that car manages to instill a false sense of confidence in its drivers?
I can't really comment on the newest iteration of the gt500, but I have driven an 08 gt500 at mid-ohio both stock and modded and stock it tended to understeer a bit. Perhaps the zl1 is more oversteer bias in stock form? That would be surprising to me though as slight understeer is typically easier to control for average drivers than oversteer.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #67
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
And this is what I was driving at.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #68
8cd03gro

Quote:
And this is what I was driving at.
Then I completely agree with that point. I think the highway is where people are going to see the biggest difference between the approach taken with both these cars. Jam the gas in third in both cars and the gt500 is going to move out like a freight train.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #69
blk96gt

Drives: 11 SS(sold),96 Mustang,12 Silverado
I can't wait until two drivers decide to take their ZL1 and GT500 to a road course to see which one pulls a better lap time. The best part will be in the middle of the session when the Miata passes both of them because they have no idea how to drive.
blk96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #70
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post
I can't wait until two drivers decide to take their ZL1 and GT500 to a road course to see which one pulls a better lap time. The best part will be in the middle of the session when the Miata passes both of them because they have no idea how to drive.

As a former Miata owner (3 actually), i concur, this will happen.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote