Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #43
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
Now that I'm looking at the available tire sizes, any reason you did not go with 315/35's in the rear? Its a shame they don't have a 275/40 for a 20 inch rim.
A more square setup, or within 20 mms apart from front to rear, is better for handling and cornering. The ZL1 uses 285 front and 305 rears. I got this info from Whiteside, maybe they will chime in. Plus, the 315s would make the tire a little taller in the rear. To balance it out I probably would have had to done a 40 tire in front, which they don't offer.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #44
HoustonHotRod

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM The Vixen
Very nice setup !!! That is the way the car should have come from the factory. Mike suggested this combo to me , just need to save a little more before Whiteside gets to do their magic on my car.
HoustonHotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #45
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyanSS View Post
A more square setup, or within 20 mms apart from front to rear, is better for handling and cornering. The ZL1 uses 285 front and 305 rears. I got this info from Whiteside, maybe they will chime in. Plus, the 315s would make the tire a little taller in the rear. To balance it out I probably would have had to done a 40 tire in front, which they don't offer.
Good points and great info. The 315's are 28.7" tall according to the Michelin site. Wish they had a 40 series tire that was the same height and worked on a 9.5" rim.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #46
TaylorRyanSS

Yeah but I prefer the 35 over the 40. I do not like the look of a lot of sidewall. I wish the wheel wells were a little smaller. I could always go lower

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
Old 04-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #47
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Do you have a straight side shot picture of your car on these tires?
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #48
TaylorRyanSS

I will take one tonight when I get home from work.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #49
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Sweet combo man! Looks great

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #50
Whiteside Customs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1lt/rs, 2010 2ss/rs, 2004 GTO
Quote:

The Camaro suffers from understeer. GM knows this. SO when they had a chance to build the best Camaro ever they decreased the stagger between the front and rear wheels. Interestingly enough they also chose lower profile tires. The simple reason behind this is sidewall flex. When designing the SS ride comfort was particularly a big factor. Money was a big factor as well but I won't go into that here.

So if we want our Camaro to stack up against the ZL1 we need to look at ways to get closer to it. One is to ditch the Pirellis. They're mediocre at best at just about everything a tire is supposed to do. The ZL1 sports Goodyear supercar tires. Decent tire, but we can do better. In comes the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Originally designed for the Bugatti Veyron, this is simply the best tire Michelin has to offer and arguably the best tire available today.

Now we need to choose sizing. The Michelin SS runs a bit wider than most tires on the market. If you look at the sizing chart for this tire it says it can be used on a wheel up to 11.5". We discussed this at length directly with Michelin when we choosing tires for our new Signature Series Camaros. We chose to use a slightly taller rear tire and overall shorter all the way around. Both the ZL1 and GT500 do exactly this. The last thing we did was keep the sizing between 20MM stagger for optimization of handling and understeer.

Hope this gives you some insight into why we recommend these tires.
Whiteside Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #51
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteside Customs View Post
The Camaro suffers from understeer. GM knows this. SO when they had a chance to build the best Camaro ever they decreased the stagger between the front and rear wheels. Interestingly enough they also chose lower profile tires. The simple reason behind this is sidewall flex. When designing the SS ride comfort was particularly a big factor. Money was a big factor as well but I won't go into that here.

So if we want our Camaro to stack up against the ZL1 we need to look at ways to get closer to it. One is to ditch the Pirellis. They're mediocre at best at just about everything a tire is supposed to do. The ZL1 sports Goodyear supercar tires. Decent tire, but we can do better. In comes the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Originally designed for the Bugatti Veyron, this is simply the best tire Michelin has to offer and arguably the best tire available today.

Now we need to choose sizing. The Michelin SS runs a bit wider than most tires on the market. If you look at the sizing chart for this tire it says it can be used on a wheel up to 11.5". We discussed this at length directly with Michelin when we choosing tires for our new Signature Series Camaros. We chose to use a slightly taller rear tire and overall shorter all the way around. Both the ZL1 and GT500 do exactly this. The last thing we did was keep the sizing between 20MM stagger for optimization of handling and understeer.

Hope this gives you some insight into why we recommend these tires.
Thanks for the thorough and insightful reply. Although I still want to rock 315s on the rear, I should take your advice and run Taylor's setup. (I have Forgestars in his same sizes on order, but have not purchased tires). I will definitely consult with you before making any moves!
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #52
Whiteside Customs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1lt/rs, 2010 2ss/rs, 2004 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
Thanks for the thorough and insightful reply. Although I still want to rock 315s on the rear, I should take your advice and run Taylor's setup. (I have Forgestars in his same sizes on order, but have not purchased tires). I will definitely consult with you before making any moves!
Trust me when I tell you the 295 is extremely wide looking. Give me a call with any questions!
Whiteside Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #53
TaylorRyanSS

Old 04-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #54
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Damn, that looks good!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #55
TaylorRyanSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Damn, that looks good!
Thanks. I kinda want a half inch lower though. What do you think? After I get my new bumper and see how low the splitter is then I will decide.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #56
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Thanks. I kinda want a half inch lower though. What do you think? After I get my new bumper and see how low the splitter is then I will decide.
What springs do you have now or coil overs?
What's your height from the floor, through the center of the wheel to the apex of the fender?

Tags
f14, forgestar, graphite, inferno, nineball