The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #15
piam101

Drives: 04 Pontiac GTO M6
I believe the accepted meaning of rice is a car that has been modified externally to make it look fast (usually failing) but nothing has been done to it internally.
piam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #16
CombatVet0311

Drives: blk 2010 camaro 2ss l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post
But that Scion was actually fast. Hence, not rice. Get it?

If the owner of that Scion invested in a more worthy platform, he would have been at 1200 hp for less money invested.

If the sole purpose of building an unreliable 4 banger is to show how much money can be wasted trying to squeeze power out of it, when you can get to your goals for less in a real car then to me you are a ricer.
CombatVet0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #17
CombatVet0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by piam101 View Post
I believe the accepted meaning of rice is a car that has been modified externally to make it look fast (usually failing) but nothing has been done to it internally.
to me a Honda with full bolt ons up to and including a fart can with a stock body is still a ricer
Old 08-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #18
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatVet0311 View Post
On the contrary, that Scion is in fact the pinnacle of rice.

Unfortunately, vehicles like that Scion gives kids deluded ideas that their mothers ( insert p.o.s. 4 banger of your choice ) can be made into a car on par with real sports cars. These kids grow up thinking losers that dump tens and in some cases hundreds of thousands of dollars into inferior unreliable 4 bangers are cool.

These kids inevitably turn into ricers that clutter our streets with an assortment of laughable bodykitted monstrosities.

I for one will not stand in silence as the ridiculous notion that these cars are to be respected gets tossed around any longer.
It's just a car, dude. I agree that it's silly to supe up 4 bangers, but the general public only knows what's advertised to them. So if the general public think that supeing up 4 bangers makes a faster car than a Camaro SS, it's because Honda/Toyota have been more successful at marketing than the Big 3. By comparison, most people think a BMW is faster than a suped up 4 banger but the crudeness of American muscle car quality has led much of the ignorant public to think they're also slow. Although, a visually modified muscle car also looks much faster than a visually modified 4 banger to the ignorant public.

Bottom line is, even amongst car enthusiasts, people have their biases and will think their brand is faster than some other brand; how much more then for the ignorant public who aren't into cars? I suppose young kids are generally ignorant about cars, so they will believe whatever their friends tell them and because of the superior advertising of Honda/Toyota, that means that they will believe a suped up 4 banger is cool.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #19
CombatVet0311

It is then up to us as individual auto enthusiasts to stop perpetuating lies that go unchallenged so that we educate those with less information about our hobby.

If I sat there and said nothing, an uninformed youth could have read this thread and thought that his Scion is an excellent platform to race Corvettes in which is laughable.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #20
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Drives: BMW 6 series Vert
Quote:
It is then up to us as individual auto enthusiasts to stop perpetuating lies that go unchallenged so that we educate those with less information about our hobby.

If I sat there and said nothing, an uninformed youth could have read this thread and thought that his Scion is an excellent platform to race Corvettes in which is laughable.

You really don't have a clue at all.
All-Or-Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #21
CombatVet0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post
You really don't have a clue at all.

Oh really, i'll pull up a chair so you can educate me on the virtues of your non existent argument.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #22
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
I don't even have to look at the video to know who won. Anybody know why?
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #23
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
Quote:
If the owner of that Scion invested in a more worthy platform, he would have been at 1200 hp for less money invested.

If the sole purpose of building an unreliable 4 banger is to show how much money can be wasted trying to squeeze power out of it, when you can get to your goals for less in a real car then to me you are a ricer.
let me correct you on that, chris did not invest his money into that car. SCION made that car and he perfected it to be the fastest sport compact front wheel drive car, he has the fastest drag, and course. also he is now working on another vehicle also scion awd.

so people talk your shit but that is not kid. and don't be mad that a four banger blew by a zr1.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:00 PM   #24
CombatVet0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by shevyman View Post
let me correct you on that, chris did not invest his money into that car. SCION made that car and he perfected it to be the fastest sport compact front wheel drive car, he has the fastest drag, and course. also he is now working on another vehicle also scion awd.

so people talk your shit but that is not kid. and don't be mad that a four banger blew by a zr1.

cool story, doesn,t change the fact that it's still a p.o.s. someone spent too much money on
Old 08-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #25
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by shevyman View Post

Z06 and ZR1 not the same as far as i know, Its cool that's making that amount of power, but personally not a fan.
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:52 PM   #26
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvyTerra View Post
When that p.o.s beats your car, aren't you embarassed?
Okay, you can have either one. Which one you want?
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #27
CombatVet0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvyTerra View Post
When that p.o.s beats your car, aren't you embarassed?

Hardly, ha ha.

Even if a fugly ricer beat my car, I still get to ride home in a Camaro and he/she still has to drive a p.o.s. they spent too much money on.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #28
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Z06 and ZR1 not the same as far as i know, Its cool that's making that amount of power, but personally not a fan.
oops thanks i do not know why i was thinking zr1. when i knew it was a zo6. haha

i know people are not fans i am not saying you have to, my thing is i know a lot of people just think a v8 should be better then any four cylinder. i know people have gotten mad once the little four bangers started to beat the v8s.

but with todays technology so many things can be possible. i am not hating on american or picking imports side. just pointed out some points. i give the guy credit for making that cheap car one of the best cheap sport compact fwd car. i am not talking about looks.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote