#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-09-2020, 02:31 PM   #43
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
Ford and their ADM is what made me take a closer look at the ZL1. I thought if I were patient could snag a GT500 for MSRP. After 3 months decided to move on and boy am I glad I did!
Them Ford dealers are full of it. They are killing their car sales.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:26 AM   #44
Thestormoverkrynn

Drives: Camaro Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTown918 View Post
I was giving some thought to getting a 2021 ZL1 (w/ A10 transmission). In a nutshell, what have been the most common issues, if any, with the ZL1? I could run searches on here and whatnot, but I'm sure some on here could easily point out the main culprits in quick order (again, assuming there are any). Thanks.
Brakes can be a huge issue on most camaros. Sticky brakes, after rainfall, washing the car.. This can compound if u track the car. Do not race the car in the rain after rainfall.. Replace the brakes once used with aftermarket as oem is ridiculous expensive. If u track the car replace the pads often or u will be replacing rotors more often. Inspect, once cooled, after every track day, that doesn't mean just check the pads from the side and claim, oh yeah they're good lots of pads left!! NO! remove inspect, replace if needed. What does if needed mean? If one end of the bad is more worn than the other, replace, if chunks are missing out of the pad and bonded to the rotor, replace. If there is hot spots on the rotor, replace. I believe rotors are directional... be careful even dealerships have been known to put them on backwards

Common problems with the camaro... Seat failures, usually due to harness, harness will initially cause blown fuses to the point it blows the actuator on the side of seat. Camaros also have a garbage feature where if u get into an accident it blows ur seats up... air bags pop out, ruining the seat. Likely not doing anything to save ur life, mostly annoying, and causes full seat repalcements. Purposefully done to scam customers into large repair bills. Even after minor collisions. If deactivated leaves annoying red lights on the driving dash.

Supercharger failure!!! Yes its a thing!!! You will hear rattling like bolts in a tin can, likely bearing failure. Absolutely replace with after market but do not install plastic!!! garbage!! Plastic coolant reservoir, plastic overflow, plastic catch can!! all garbage!

Warning does not come with tow hook! zl1 addon websites can help u, i've used several, none have failed, and i've winched it up on my trailer, with brake pads bonded to rotors!!!! Wasn't happy about that!.. Total GM dealer fail!.

Transmission fail!!!! Yes its also a thing, Randomely gear pops out of 2nd or reverse, at times requires being forced and held in. THIS IS NOT NORMAL... even though the dealer will try and tell you it is. It's not. According to GM techs, at the plant, tremec fit gears into housings that didn't fit! Fun fun fun when your warranty expires and they won't admit to it !

Be careful when u take it to the dealer, for minor repairs, they tend to like to update, flash ur ecm bye bye tune you had on there, make sure you put it in valet mode! Or i promise some idiot at the dealership will make u regret it. If u take it to a dealer that mainly deals with camaros/corvettes. You will likely be happier with the service.

Back seats should've just been deleted. Can't blame anyone for taking them out...

Exhaust pipes, prepare to be consistently cleaning these.

Rims same as above consistently cleaning brake dust. I actually suggest you get your rims ceramic coated for this reason. Watch the curbs! don't bite them!

Rain guard... Keep it on... Unless at the track... Theres a reason for it... You will regret it if u get caught in the rain and it's not on.

For that matter don't do anything dumb in the rain unless u have money and lots of room... Or ur name is whistlin diesel and u just want to destroy nice cars... ( i mean really.... why!!)

Some guys tape up the side panel of their back bumpers, due to overzealous launches and rocks tearing up the lower side rear bumper area. Even rock guards don't really help with this, it's the nature of the beast especially if u add HP.

Rear end slides out to the right especially on hard launches. This requires management, or you'll end up like most mustang owners! The more the HP the more management. Same with launching off a turn! Be very careful with this! you will have to counter steer if you launch hard!

Although most of you consider this machine a toy, it is not! Drive safely and reserve your speed for the track!.

God help me follow my own advice!!

Last edited by Thestormoverkrynn; 05-15-2024 at 01:40 PM.
Thestormoverkrynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 05:34 PM   #45
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thestormoverkrynn View Post
Brakes can be a huge issue on most camaros. Sticky brakes, after rainfall, washing the car.. This can compound if u track the car. Do not race the car in the rain after rainfall.. Replace the brakes once used with aftermarket as oem is ridiculous expensive. If u track the car replace the pads often or u will be replacing rotors more often. Inspect, once cooled, after every track day, that doesn't mean just check the pads from the side and claim, oh yeah they're good lots of pads left!! NO! remove inspect, replace if needed. What does if needed mean? If one end of the bad is more worn than the other, replace, if chunks are missing out of the pad and bonded to the rotor, replace. If there is hot spots on the rotor, replace. I believe rotors are directional... be careful even dealerships have been known to put them on backwards

Common problems with the camaro... Seat failures, usually due to harness, harness will initially cause blown fuses to the point it blows the actuator on the side of seat. Camaros also have a garbage feature where if u get into an accident it blows ur seats up... air bags pop out, ruining the seat. Likely not doing anything to save ur life, mostly annoying, and causes full seat repalcements. Purposefully done to scam customers into large repair bills. Even after minor collisions. If deactivated leaves annoying red lights on the driving dash.

Supercharger failure!!! Yes its a thing!!! You will hear rattling like bolts in a tin can, likely bearing failure. Absolutely replace with after market but do not install plastic!!! garbage!! Plastic coolant reservoir, plastic overflow, plastic catch can!! all garbage!

Warning does not come with tow hook! zl1 addon websites can help u, i've used several, none have failed, and i've winched it up on my trailer, with brake pads bonded to rotors!!!! Wasn't happy about that!.. Total GM dealer fail!.

Transmission fail!!!! Yes its also a thing, Randomely gear pops out of 2nd or reverse, at times requires being forced and held in. THIS IS NOT NORMAL... even though the dealer will try and tell you it is. It's not. According to GM techs, at the plant, tremec fit gears into housings that didn't fit! Fun fun fun when your warranty expires and they won't admit to it !

Be careful when u take it to the dealer, for minor repairs, they tend to like to update, flash ur ecm bye bye tune you had on there, make sure you put it in valet mode! Or i promise some idiot at the dealership will make u regret it. If u take it to a dealer that mainly deals with camaros/corvettes. You will likely be happier with the service.

Back seats should've just been deleted. Can't blame anyone for taking them out...

Exhaust pipes, prepare to be consistently cleaning these.

Rims same as above consistently cleaning brake dust. I actually suggest you get your rims ceramic coated for this reason. Watch the curbs! don't bite them!

Rain guard... Keep it on... Unless at the track... Theres a reason for it... You will regret it if u get caught in the rain and it's not on.

For that matter don't do anything dumb in the rain unless u have money and lots of room... Or ur name is whistlin diesel and u just want to destroy nice cars... ( i mean really.... why!!)

Some guys tape up the side panel of their back bumpers, due to overzealous launches and rocks tearing up the lower side rear bumper area. Even rock guards don't really help with this, it's the nature of the beast especially if u add HP.

Rear end slides out to the right especially on hard launches. This requires management, or you'll end up like most mustang owners! The more the HP the more management. Same with launching off a turn! Be very careful with this! you will have to counter steer if you launch hard!

Although most of you consider this machine a toy, it is not! Drive safely and reserve your speed for the track!.

God help me follow my own advice!!

Let's see....

Every vehicle can have the brakes "stick" to the rotors after sitting for a while from water. It's not Camaro specific or track pad specific.

I've race my car on road courses with the same OEM pads that have been on whole I wash the car or drive in the rain. Plenty of others have done the same.....

OEM brake pads are expensive but you do own a track capable race car.

Seat harness failures? That's a first. I don't think I've ever heard of any 6th gen Camaro having that problem.

Supercharger failure? Yes, on the 5th gen ZL1 but hardly any or none with the 6th gen ZL1. I don't recall any actually. And plastic is a no no? There are many many vehicles that use plastic or plastic type material that haven't had any issues. To include mine that I added since the ZL1 didn't come with one from the factory.

All Camaro's come with a tow hook. So unless you bought the car used and the previous owner kept it, then that's the only reason why it wouldn't come with one.

Yes, there have been some transmission issues with SOME cars over the years It's not a common or frequent problem.

I don't know why you'd take a tuned car to the dealer for repairs but they won't flash your car unless they are replacing certain components.

Cleaning the exhaust pipes constantly only if you're OCD and want a perfect looking car. That's the only thing I don't clean when I wash the car.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote