The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-22-2024, 11:26 AM   #1653
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Just for giggles, here's how the sales break out by brand for January 2024:
  1. Tesla: 61,631
  2. Ford: 7,510
  3. Rivian: 4178
  4. Chevrolet: 4,143
  5. Hyundai: 3,904
  6. BMW: 3,762
  7. Mercedes: 3,639
  8. Volkswagen: 3,012
  9. Kia: 2,316
  10. Audi: 2,219
  11. Nissan: 1,821
  12. Toyota: 1,169
  13. Cadillac: 1,056
  14. Subaru: 887
  15. Lexus: 880
  16. Fisker: 855
  17. Polestar: 745
  18. Porsche: 575
  19. Volvo: 484
  20. Genesis: 419
  21. Lucid: 384
  22. GMC: 379
  23. BrightDrop: 293
  24. Canoo: 267
  25. Cruise: 87
  26. Jaguar: 77
  27. VinFast: 70
  28. Rolls Royce: 40
  29. Zoox: 1
What that shows is that outside of a Tesla nobody is very much interested in owning an EV. Not encouraging.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 11:51 AM   #1654
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
What that shows is that outside of a Tesla nobody is very much interested in owning an EV. Not encouraging.
THat's just a conclusion looking at only this chart.
I've been in the market over a year. Look at actual out the door pricing with dealer rip offs (my local dealers demanded $15k OVER msrp and wouldn't budge from that not long back, I won't ever deal with them again even though they have a lot full now) and MSRPs and miles of range, how fast they charge and how quick they go is secondary consideration as well as qualified for rebates. That will tell you much more about why the rankings are like that. I noticed big price drops on the eMach mustang whatever it's called just last week. Price vs what you get is very much what drives the overall market. The brand thing drives some customers only.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 12:29 PM   #1655
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Personally, I love my Zoox.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 12:52 PM   #1656
Iron Lung Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS1LE View Post
Interesting. Ford says they sold 152,617 units in January in the US. I'm not sure where you get 7,510 total, but one of those numbers is wrong. Either yours or theirs.

BTW, Ford also said the following for January:
Electric vehicle sales totaled 4,674 units, down 10.9 percent
Hybrid vehicle sales totaled 11,157 units, up 42.7 percent
Internal combustion vehicles sales totaled 136,786 units, up 2.6 percent

https://fordauthority.com/2024/02/u-...0and%20Lincoln.
I was trying to figure that out myself and concluded that his list was just for EVs.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:02 PM   #1657
Iron Lung Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
THat's just a conclusion looking at only this chart.
I've been in the market over a year. Look at actual out the door pricing with dealer rip offs (my local dealers demanded $15k OVER msrp and wouldn't budge from that not long back, I won't ever deal with them again even though they have a lot full now) and MSRPs and miles of range, how fast they charge and how quick they go is secondary consideration as well as qualified for rebates. That will tell you much more about why the rankings are like that. I noticed big price drops on the eMach mustang whatever it's called just last week. Price vs what you get is very much what drives the overall market. The brand thing drives some customers only.
Well then I guess I could alter my statement to be - What that shows is that nobody can compete with Tesla. Not encouraging.

Either way, publicly traded companies, in a fruitless attempt to compete with Tesla, can only bleed cash for so long before the shareholders revolt.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:29 PM   #1658
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Martin do you think Rivian and Lucid have any chance at sticking around? It sure seems like they are just burning money, losing it left and right. I saw Rivian is laying of 10% of it's workforce and the stock is down.
Lucid wil be fine. They are backed by Middle East funding. You know, the same folks that have been making money in oil? Now into EV? Just putting that out there.

Rivian will also likely be fine. Keep in mind, Tesla burned money at a furious pace for several years. They didn’t make an operating profit until either 2018 or 19. Now they’re printing money. Rivian is on a similar trajectory. At the very worst, Rivian may get acquired or if they were to fall into bankruptcy, their physical assets and intellectual property would be swooped up by a healthier competitor.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 07:35 PM   #1659
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
Very good except that Chevrolet once ranked very closely to Ford, and once lead Ford in sales in the past. I still see opportunity in Chevrolet's quest for leadership.
Chevrolet ended production of the Bolt EV and EUV in December so those models are selling out of inventory. Plus the Blazer EV is on stop sale until they work out some software issues. Also, Equinox EV is late launching. Should have been available in Q3 2023 but they are still not yet at dealerships. When Blazer EV and Equinox EV become more available, Chevrolet will most likely pass Ford.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 02-22-2024, 07:38 PM   #1660
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Personally, I love my Zoox.
I literally spit out my Body Armor.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:40 PM   #1661
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS1LE View Post
Interesting. Ford says they sold 152,617 units in January in the US. I'm not sure where you get 7,510 total, but one of those numbers is wrong. Either yours or theirs.

BTW, Ford also said the following for January:
Electric vehicle sales totaled 4,674 units, down 10.9 percent
Hybrid vehicle sales totaled 11,157 units, up 42.7 percent
Internal combustion vehicles sales totaled 136,786 units, up 2.6 percent

https://fordauthority.com/2024/02/u-...0and%20Lincoln.
In post 1766 I pointed out that there were 106,803 EVs sold in January. In post 1767 I detailed the brands that sold those 106,803 EVs. Ford may have been down in their EV sales, but EV sale in total hit a new high water mark.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:44 PM   #1662
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
That’s only one datapoint. Nobody can produce as many EVs as Tesla right now and you can’t sell what you can’t produce. As more automakers come up to scale production and offer more compelling products they will compete better with Tesla. But Tesla does have a 5 - 10 year head start, depending on who you’re comparing them to.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:42 AM   #1663
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Chevrolet ended production of the Bolt EV and EUV in December so those models are selling out of inventory. Plus the Blazer EV is on stop sale until they work out some software issues. Also, Equinox EV is late launching. Should have been available in Q3 2023 but they are still not yet at dealerships. When Blazer EV and Equinox EV become more available, Chevrolet will most likely pass Ford.
At least they are working on it. This is not to say that I am a proponent of EVs, but Chevrolet should be current to the auto types that are popular on the market.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:27 AM   #1664
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
At least they are working on it. This is not to say that I am a proponent of EVs, but Chevrolet should be current to the auto types that are popular on the market.
It is embarrassing that GM sold out on EVs and failed this bad (thus far). They can't meet price estimates, every launch is delayed, and then the vehicle hits the market and is riddled with software flaws/bugs. Barra's strategy may have been correct years ago, and long term still may be, but they failed to execute in almost every possible way.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:32 AM   #1665
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Lucid wil be fine. They are backed by Middle East funding. You know, the same folks that have been making money in oil? Now into EV? Just putting that out there.

Rivian will also likely be fine. Keep in mind, Tesla burned money at a furious pace for several years. They didn’t make an operating profit until either 2018 or 19. Now they’re printing money. Rivian is on a similar trajectory. At the very worst, Rivian may get acquired or if they were to fall into bankruptcy, their physical assets and intellectual property would be swooped up by a healthier competitor.
Thanks for the input. I know EVs arent everyones cup of tea but I do hope Rivian makes it. I think their vehicles at least look decent compared to the other full EV companies.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:42 AM   #1666
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
It is embarrassing that GM sold out on EVs and failed this bad (thus far). They can't meet price estimates, every launch is delayed, and then the vehicle hits the market and is riddled with software flaws/bugs. Barra's strategy may have been correct years ago, and long term still may be, but they failed to execute in almost every possible way.
Every word of this. Good strategy (although I would not have shit-canned PHEVs) but poor execution.
Attached Images

Last edited by Martinjlm; 02-23-2024 at 11:52 AM.