Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-13-2024, 10:58 AM   #15
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
If you like it, I say go for it. But on any used vehicle, condition is everything. It's still less than 10 years old but every fluid and filter should still be suspect and due for change if not already documented that it's been done. You probably already know this with a 20 year old BMW and an 88 Iroc-Z in your stable...

I wouldn't worry about little issues. Really, I wouldn't. The car you're looking for should have plenty of life left and if you're looking for a lower mileage example, that's NOT a Trailblazer with 200k....it should be good for years to come. I've owned plenty of older vehicles with very low miles including right now with a 93 Camaro Z28 and an '00 Camaro SS.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 03:14 PM   #16
MagnumMaro

Drives: 2023 Chevy Camaro
the way the used prices are, i would just go new. it's really not that much more... been looking on cargurus and the prices are going down actually.
MagnumMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 03:28 PM   #17
Zapote21
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 2SS
Just a word of caution... Low miles means the previous owners had it stored a lot. I didnt know this when I bought my 2017 2 months ago, with only 17k miles. But quickly found out about the walnuts behind the bumper and all the chewed up wires from rodents. Make sure you inspect it well
2016 C7 DSOM
2012 2SS yellow vert
2017 2LT Krypton Green
2018 2LT Hot wheels crush
2020 2SS Shock vert.
2017 2SS Krypton Green coupe
Zapote21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 03:45 PM   #18
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Evergreen, you make good points. Anything I'm looking at is pretty new. I actually joked with my wife saying "since when did I consider an 8 year car with 20k miles, "old"!". It's a far cry from that Trailblazer, or god forbid my Iroc. I've owned many thirdgens, and while they're my first, and TRUE passion within' the automotive hobby, god are they built like crap! BMW is well engineered but still lots of cheap materials. But anyhow...you're right.

MagnumMaro, new is an option. I've been looking too. Didn't wanna muddy the water in this discussion with that option, but yeah....my first ever NEW car, being a final model year Camaro, after all the Camaros I've owned in my years, would certainly be something special. But I want that 6 spd. 2SS with MRC, and that's stretching the budget, PLUS....when you add in color choice, and market availability..... we'll see. It's possible.

Zapote21, you're 100% right, and it's something I've thought about. Thoughts like that are precisely why I posted. Thank you.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 04:06 PM   #19
Exia
Exia

Drives: '23 Corvette Z06/Z07 & '22 2SS 1LE
I wouldn't have issue with a 2016 or even a 2017, 2018 etc.

The problem comes from the price. The car is out of warranty and any 2016-2018 I've found is not as cheap as I would expect. I'd rather spend a little more for something still under warranty or with the option of an extended warranty if the price is good.

As an example I found a 2018 2SS 1LE for sale for 40k Canadian. Warranty is done but the car is now 6 years old, or I could buy a 2023 for 20k more still under warranty and with discounts on an extended warranty because its still under warranty.

Id have no problem with a 2016, the car is almost identical to a 2024 but it would need to be cheaper at the right price for me to consider it.
Exia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 05:22 PM   #20
Hack

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Depending on what you want and what you're going to do with the car, you could consider an LT1. I recently bought a 2021 with some warranty left for a few thousand less than that 2016 SS you mentioned.

An LT1 wouldn't be good if you are taking it to the road course, but for daily driving it should do everything you need. Mine has some good options, but doesn't have everything an SS would have.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy an older car, but the price has to be right. Camaros don't depreciate very fast, so the older models just aren't that great of a bargain.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 06:03 PM   #21
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
The problem comes from the price. The car is out of warranty and any 2016-2018 I've found is not as cheap as I would expect. I'd rather spend a little more for something still under warranty or with the option of an extended warranty if the price is good.
Well here's where I guess we all have to place a value on that warranty. 10 grand is a LOT of money if it's only the warranty we're talking about, and if it's not brand new, it's not even the full warranty. ...but it's not always going to be a $10k difference, so it really comes down to what you think a given warranty is worth. Certainly not saying you're wrong, it's just that I don't KNOW what I value that warranty at just yet!
Quote:

....you could consider an LT1
I want this car as loaded as I can get, short of a ZL1. Doesn't mean I'll actually GET everything, but my goal is to get as much as I can. Besides, I don't care for the bumper and cloth seats.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 01:00 PM   #22
gchu

Drives: Chevy Camaro
I actually just went through the same debate. I wound up with a 2017 since I was worried about the first model year gremlins - though by now they would have all been shaken out.

The savings, though it's tough to call it savings when it's spent on mods, are getting split between the Camaro and my C8 so I guess it all works out LOL

I'd say buy what you perceive as the best deal you can find... Life is too short to waste waiting for the perfect deal!
gchu is offline   Reply With Quote