Old 08-24-2023, 02:34 PM   #379
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
My factory suitcase is for sale.

Me too
ALL the BMR Read End Goodies + BMR Motor Mounts + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Big Gulp + GMS High Flow Crash Bar
DMS Front HX + Fender Tank + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + TOYO 305/345 R888R's = 775rwhp 815rwtq @E55 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 10:14 PM   #380
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I just did this mod but took a different spin on it. The guy who did the work at the exhaust shop ii took it to.. perfect man. Configured it exactly how I wanted him to and he made it all modular so it would be easy to disassemble when and if it's time to do upper work somewhere else on the car. Instead of the Jones X- Pipe I used a Black Widow Angry Housewife compact muffler and tucked it into the tunnel. I just needed to knock down a few DB's, it got rid of the initial bite at start up that would earthquake the inside of the house, and kill the highway drone. This was just enough to do it for me. Granted, your situation may and will be different but this worked great for me all the way through.

Name:  PXL_20230916_153545229.MP.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  221.8 KB

Name:  PXL_20230916_181022741.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  149.9 KB

Name:  PXL_20230916_181745374.MP.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  228.1 KB
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 09:06 AM   #381
UberTong

Drives: Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakudog View Post
(Scroll to the bottom for pics)

Recently had a set of Kooks 2" long tubes headers installed to complement the Magnuson 2650R to build a reliable/safe track-focused power band. The results were exactly what I wanted, the car makes ~700 rwhp through the automatic and the power delivery is super smooth. Nothing tricky about the setup, just a 2650R on an all-stock motor with LTs, 93 octane, through the A10.

All of that was great, but it was just too damn loud for me, my neighbors, likely any track with any type of noise restriction, etc. To maximize my enjoyment out of the car, I needed to make a change. After some careful research, I settled in on adding a Magnaflow X-pipe muffler where the factory X-pipe was, replacing it with the Magnaflow X. I kept reading people trying to resonators to remove the high pitch rifle shot sound when mixing NPP and LTs but the effect being minimum on DBs and tone.

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/1...rmance-muffler

The end results are FANTASTIC and exactly what I wanted. The car has a mild startup, the ear-piercing BARK when the car roars to life is completely gone. That sound was okay I guess when the car was 100% stock, but after the LTs it was really difficult to live with for me and my 3 year old.

The car now has a much more mellow note and until you add in a lot of throttle, the car is actually really reasonable. Once the exhaust gas picks up speed, the X-Muffler can do less to lower the DBs but the tone is still deeper. So the exhaust, under load still gets VERY loud, louder than stock. However, now you can take a drive in the car and have a regular conversation with a passenger, listening to music or talk on the phone no problem, actually better than stock in that regard.

I realize some of you WANT your cars to be very loud and you enjoy that part of your car. Coming from an 1100 rwhp TT ZL1 and a Buick Grand National before that, loud and fast don't go together for me like it does for some of you, that's a personal thing.

In addition, now that I'm a total track ratt, listening to an ULTRA loud car @ 100% throttle for 20 minutes a day, 6 times a day, isn't fun, even with my helmet on.

(Some may ask, why to keep the stock NPP muffler and I'll give you my 2 reasons. #1 the aerodynamics of the car is affected slightly by removing the suitcase muffler and adding aftermarket mufflers. A void is created where the muffler once sit, disrupting airflow. This may not be an issue for you on your track, but COTA is a high-speed track and after 130mph to about 160mph the rear bumper shakes violently as air pressure catches the bumper cover and tries to pull it off, buffeting it and making it shake, causing lift and slowing the car down. Once you go away from that muffler, you end up adding a diffuser to cover the gap it left, that was a bunch of steps I didn't want to take to make my car even loud. #2 "weight savings isn't there" the stock NPP muffler by itself actually doesn't weigh that much, weight savings is typically negated w/a stainless system, unless you're going to a FULL race setup, which means no muffler and as you could guess, that isn't going to work for me, most tracks, my wife, child or my neighborhood. )

I hope this helps some of you who, like me, thought the exhaust note was TOO loud for Track use or just wanted it to be quieter but still enjoyable.

Start-up videos:

Outside

Inside

Partial throttle, higher RPM, light pulls:

Thank you, I've been looking for just this solution. I bought mine telling myself I'd get used to it. I've had loud and fast before I just can't enjoy my ZL1 like I want to. I've got 4 kids under 10 and leave early in the am. I've got 2" CSP headers no cats, straight back into AWE track system...it's loud. I hope this fixes that crazy cold start bark and just chills out the drone and noise. Thank you!
UberTong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 09:20 AM   #382
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberTong View Post
Thank you, I've been looking for just this solution. I bought mine telling myself I'd get used to it. I've had loud and fast before I just can't enjoy my ZL1 like I want to. I've got 4 kids under 10 and leave early in the am. I've got 2" CSP headers no cats, straight back into AWE track system...it's loud. I hope this fixes that crazy cold start bark and just chills out the drone and noise. Thank you!
I bet your car is ridiculously loud. It doesn't help that you have no mufflers at all. I can tell you that even installing the Magnaflow in your exhaust system probably isn't going to do everything you want since you still have no rear mufflers with the AWE track system. Having no cats also adds a lot of volume. I have 2" headers, high flow cats, and AWE resonated touring exhaust and its still very loud. I like it where it is though.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 02:37 PM   #383
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
I probably posted this before but the thread is so long. I've lost track. Mine has Kooks long tubes, crimp deletes, and Kooks axle back that has a small muffler and I passed it 18-wheeler today at WOT with the passenger window cracked and it sounded like a pro stocker. Way too loud for a DD. I need to put cats on it
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 03:14 PM   #384
ZLRob

ANC needs to be disconnected in conjunction with your exhaust mods people. I know it's been talked about in other parts of the forum, but it needs to be addressed yet again.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619862
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Old 09-21-2023, 08:36 PM   #385
JSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLRob View Post
Never heard of ANC
Old 09-21-2023, 09:05 PM   #386
ZLRob

Quote:
Never heard of ANC
If you are still experiencing some excessive noise in the cabin you may want to give that mod a try. It shifted the DB low frequency Hz output spectrum for me enough to the point where I don't feel like my ears are going to explode at lower RPM's and the car is actually pleasurable to drive again on the road and on the freeway now.
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Old 09-22-2023, 08:50 AM   #387
JSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLRob View Post
If you are still experiencing some excessive noise in the cabin you may want to give that mod a try. It shifted the DB low frequency Hz output spectrum for me enough to the point where I don't feel like my ears are going to explode at lower RPM's and the car is actually pleasurable to drive again on the road and on the freeway now.
So, ANC is still on when the stock sound system is turned off?
Old 09-22-2023, 08:52 AM   #388
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Yes it seems that way
Old 09-22-2023, 10:02 AM   #389
ZLRob

Quote:
So, ANC is still on when the stock sound system is turned off?

Yeah it's present at all times.
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Old 02-27-2024, 10:46 PM   #390
Racerbox77

Drives: Iroc-Z
Looking for ideas on how to build a diffuser under the rear bumper. With the AWE mufflers it opens the backside of the rear bumper up. Making it trap air at high speeds.
Pic is not mine but same setup.
Attached Images

Racerbox77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 05:22 PM   #391
Mikesvt04

Drives: ZL1 1LE
I order the Jones muffler from Amazon (sold by verocious motorsports. I ordered one from jegs too.

I emailed verocious motorsports yesterday about the x muffler. I'll see what they say.

Anyone use the flowmaster FX part # 72469. Says it's a straight through x.
Mikesvt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 05:56 PM   #392
airtroop01

Drives: 2018 Cadillac CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesvt04 View Post
flowmaster FX part # 72469. Says it's a straight through x.
I was looking at those Flowmasters too...

Opted to get the GESI cats and still have the MRBP to take the edge off. But I may still look into these and swap with V-Band Clamps to have more options.

Needed to get some Laguna pipes made to trim some sound off in Monterey.
So, if those Flowmasters work, it would certainly be better... but options are a good thing.
airtroop01 is offline   Reply With Quote