Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-04-2023, 10:01 AM   #15
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Interested, the weight savings would be a big plus. They'd have to be able to clear Apex 18" forged wheels though.
Old 09-04-2023, 12:56 PM   #16
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
Weight savings and not having to clean the brake dust off the wheels make this very worth while if you can afford it.

Believe me, if I could afford it, I'd do it tomorrow!
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 12:36 AM   #17
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
Weight savings and not having to clean the brake dust off the wheels make this very worth while if you can afford it.

Believe me, if I could afford it, I'd do it tomorrow!
Yes the CCBs are light and sustain high heat and are durable in terms of wear life... but if you track your ZL1 CCBs can be problematic if a CC disk is damaged, and the carbon material can be prone to issues unlike iron.

I think all CC disks are at least $1700 each (x 2), I could be wrong. I paid $400/ea for my new front ZL1 rotors and the originals lasted over 3 years of active track use and are still usable as backups (I was amazed, they are stout as hell).

I don't think CCB disks come with a warranty if they fail during track use (and I believe no warranty off track as well).

I bang my wheel barrels on rotor edges a lot during fast trackside wheel changes (even at home)--I think this can chip/damage a CCB rotor.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 04:59 PM   #18
Speedysteve77

Drives: 23 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Yes the CCBs are light and sustain high heat and are durable in terms of wear life... but if you track your ZL1 CCBs can be problematic if a CC disk is damaged, and the carbon material can be prone to issues unlike iron.

I think all CC disks are at least $1700 each (x 2), I could be wrong. I paid $400/ea for my new front ZL1 rotors and the originals lasted over 3 years of active track use and are still usable as backups (I was amazed, they are stout as hell).

I don't think CCB disks come with a warranty if they fail during track use (and I believe no warranty off track as well).

I bang my wheel barrels on rotor edges a lot during fast trackside wheel changes (even at home)--I think this can chip/damage a CCB rotor.
FYI, I got my front CC discs for 1121 each..... Also not concerned with severe track use on my end.

On another note i have received almost all the components i need for the front and rear upgrade. Just waiting on a few final pieces. I should be doing the mock up fitment testing this weekend. As of now, the upgrade is coming in under $8K using all new GM/Brembo parts.
16 BMW 535xi
05 Pontiac GTO 6MT
88 Ford Thunderbird TC
87 Buick GN
Speedysteve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 08:03 PM   #19
nikerret

Drives: 2014 Ford F-350
Put another vote on the board for “interested in following the write-up”.
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 09:47 AM   #20
HypeBlueZL1

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedysteve77 View Post
FYI, I got my front CC discs for 1121 each..... Also not concerned with severe track use on my end.

On another note i have received almost all the components i need for the front and rear upgrade. Just waiting on a few final pieces. I should be doing the mock up fitment testing this weekend. As of now, the upgrade is coming in under $8K using all new GM/Brembo parts.

8k all in is not bad at all considering one Porsche CC rotor is 5k.
HypeBlueZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 07:29 PM   #21
Speedysteve77

UPDATES - Today I performed a full dry fit up for all the parts I've compiled. Everything seemed to work out with the exception of a few items:
The OEM rear caliper bolts. They seem to be a little long and when fully snug they are just barely making contact with the bolts on the 2 piece rotor (holding the hats to the rings. OEM ZL1/1LE bolts come through the caliper mounting holes by 4mm and could stand to be at least 2mm shorter or use a 2+mm washer to space the bolt out more and to provide adequate clearance that i would be comfortable with.
Brake pad sensors - The Z28 and the ZR1 both use electronic sensors for detecting brake pad wear, The ZL1/1LE does not use electronic sensors and relies on the old school metal tab on the pads.
The electric ebrake seems to be compatible with the setup I am using at least dimensionally. I will need to confirm everything once i do the permanent installation. Parts im using are as follows:

C6 ZR1 Front Pads and CC Rotors (J57 Option code)
OEM ZL1/1LE Front 6 pot calipers

2015 Z28 Rear Pads and CC Rotors
C7 ZR1 Rear Calipers (J57 Option code)

As of now i am showing a 55.2 lb weight reduction for the front and rear rotors combined.

Next steps are to send all 4 calipers out for powder-coating, which i will be matching my body color. I will be documenting more with data, pics, and some videos for folks interested.
16 BMW 535xi
05 Pontiac GTO 6MT
88 Ford Thunderbird TC
87 Buick GN
Old 09-10-2023, 08:08 PM   #22
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
Quote:
UPDATES - Today I performed a full dry fit up for all the parts I've compiled. Everything seemed to work out with the exception of a few items:
The OEM rear caliper bolts. They seem to be a little long and when fully snug they are just barely making contact with the bolts on the 2 piece rotor (holding the hats to the rings. OEM ZL1/1LE bolts come through the caliper mounting holes by 4mm and could stand to be at least 2mm shorter or use a 2+mm washer to space the bolt out more and to provide adequate clearance that i would be comfortable with.
Brake pad sensors - The Z28 and the ZR1 both use electronic sensors for detecting brake pad wear, The ZL1/1LE does not use electronic sensors and relies on the old school metal tab on the pads.
The electric ebrake seems to be compatible with the setup I am using at least dimensionally. I will need to confirm everything once i do the permanent installation. Parts im using are as follows:

As of now i am showing a 55.2 lb weight reduction for the front and rear rotors combined.

Next steps are to send all 4 calipers out for powder-coating, which i will be matching my body color. I will be documenting more with data, pics, and some videos for folks interested.

Nice! Thanks for the update!

Where did you get the rotors?
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 12:08 PM   #23
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Quote:

This is so cool. Do the parts from the CT5 BW carbon ceramics package work at all? You'd think so?
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 01:38 PM   #24
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
This is so cool. Do the parts from the CT5 BW carbon ceramics package work at all? You'd think so?
I have the copper free brakes on my Camaro which has a larger disc diameter, I have heard that they were sourced from the Blackwing. I have no idea if this is 100% accurate and if the CCB’s from the Blackwing are the same size and would work on the Copper Free Brakes. Being larger may make up for the reduced effectiveness of CC that has been discussed. Wonder if anyone knows…
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 02:22 PM   #25
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
I have the copper free brakes on my Camaro which has a larger disc diameter, I have heard that they were sourced from the Blackwing. I have no idea if this is 100% accurate and if the CCB’s from the Blackwing are the same size and would work on the Copper Free Brakes. Being larger may make up for the reduced effectiveness of CC that has been discussed. Wonder if anyone knows…

The BW copper free iron rotors are a different part #. Not sure why but at a minimum the hat of the BW rotor has the BW or Caddy emblem on it.

I've wondered if our BCD copper free calipers would work with the appropriate carbon ceramic rotors.
Old 09-11-2023, 02:30 PM   #26
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
A complete Caddy swap would be awesome, as it would be current, properly engineered, and it’s off the same platform. Using the Camaro caliper would be the icing on the cake.
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 04:01 PM   #27
Speedysteve77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
Nice! Thanks for the update!

Where did you get the rotors?
Once i figured out which rotors seemed to be compatible size wise, i just looked online to find them. For me i got the front ones from amazon and the rear ones from a performance shop in Michigan.
16 BMW 535xi
05 Pontiac GTO 6MT
88 Ford Thunderbird TC
87 Buick GN
Old 09-11-2023, 04:06 PM   #28
Speedysteve77

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
It is possible for some of the components, but not positive. The only items you really need for the front of a ZL1 are the CC rotor disc and whatever compatible CC pads. Everything else works from the ZL1 in the front.

I also found that the front CC rotors from the C6ZR1 are very slightly larger in diameter from the stock ZL1 1LE iron. Appears to be 394mm vs 390mm, but i will confirm all the exact dimensions in my future write ups.
16 BMW 535xi
05 Pontiac GTO 6MT
88 Ford Thunderbird TC
87 Buick GN