#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-27-2023, 06:02 PM   #1
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Initial impressions of my ZL1

I've had my 2023 ZL1 A10 for just two weeks now. Obviously, I haven't driven in in anger and I'm not going going to get to 1500 miles any time soon due to miscellaneous schedule constraints.

But I do have some strong impressions. I traded my 2010 2SS A6 for this car. Cruising around, I am amazed how at-home I feel in the new car. Like its predecessor, it combines firm and quick steering response with a smooth and quiet ride. What's new, mainly, is the absence of the absurdly loud burp of switching from 4 to 8 cylinder modern the 2010. The visibility is considerably better looking forward, and the outside mirrors are noticeably bigger, which is great. Also great is the blind spot warning system.

The video rear view mirror is useless to me because it's difficult to focus on, compared the true distance in the reflecting mirror.

The sound system is a significant upgrade.

Much more to look forward to when the break-in period is over and I head fo the drag strip.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 06:22 PM   #2
Xelor

Drives: 2022 ZL1
What is so special about getting to the 1500 miles?
Drive it like you stole it..
Xelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 06:56 PM   #3
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin

Drives: '24 VOM 1SS 1LE M6. 1 of 4
How about some pictures of this car.
Old 06-27-2023, 07:25 PM   #4
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
You won't have to worry about the v4 mode anymore since the ZL1 doesn't do that. Hardware is there but GM didn't install the software, thank goodness. It still gets great mpg without it.

It is a definite upgrade over your 2010 SS all around. Just keep driving it and you'll be wondering why you didn't upgrade sooner.
Vigilante375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 08:04 PM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelor View Post
What is so special about getting to the 1500 miles?
Drive it like you stole it..
Life happens. Lots of things to do other than drive around. And no, "drive it like you stole it" is not good advice for breaking in a high performance drivetrain.
Old 06-27-2023, 08:11 PM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
You won't have to worry about the v4 mode anymore since the ZL1 doesn't do that. Hardware is there but GM didn't install the software, thank goodness. It still gets great mpg without it.

It is a definite upgrade over your 2010 SS all around. Just keep driving it and you'll be wondering why you didn't upgrade sooner.
I know exactly why I didn't upgrade sooner: lack of availability during COVID. I was planning to get a 2020 ZL1...

I don't care about mpg. I have another car to drive to the grocery store.

This car has so many improvements over the 2010, even before I can experience the huge performance upgrade, yet I admire how the essential Camaro character has been preserved. And by the way, the Recaro seats are awesome, and also more similar fitting to the stock 5th gen seats than to the stock 6th gen seats.
Old 06-27-2023, 11:17 PM   #7
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 11:23 PM   #8
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
The video rear view mirror is useless to me because it's difficult to focus on, compared the true distance in the reflecting mirror.
Give this time and keep using it, once you are used to it (takes a couple weeks) it is an absolute "game changer" when it comes to visibility and eliminating blind spots... Best thing I've ever owned in a car!
After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 01:01 AM   #9
Keko

Drives: 2023 ZLE M6
+1 The video mirror is weird at first, but eventually you expect to see the video instead of focusing on depth and it becomes AWESOME. It took me a few weeks of driving daily to get used to it.

Engine break in is only 500 miles. They only say to not actually track it until 1500 miles. I did a 2-4th gear no lift shift pull as soon as I hit 500 and haven't looked back.

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...ackPREP-R3.pdf
Old 06-28-2023, 01:08 AM   #10
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keko View Post
+1 The video mirror is weird at first, but eventually you expect to see the video instead of focusing on depth and it becomes AWESOME. It took me a few weeks of driving daily to get used to it.

Engine break in is only 500 miles. They only say to not actually track it until 1500 miles. I did a 2-4th gear no lift shift pull as soon as I hit 500 and haven't looked back.

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...ackPREP-R3.pdf
For me at least, it's unfortunately not a question of it being weird, but rather I just can no longer focus on objects this close to my eyes Ah, getting old...

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 02:31 AM   #11
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
I just hit 1500 in mine.

There are just a few things that bug me.

1. The whistling noise at very low throttle/vacuum, but I did an axle back so I can't hear it as much now, LOL

2. I really don't like the camera mirror. I can't get used to it. The zl1 isn't my daily.

3. The chrome trim up around over the gauges. It reflects the sun right into my eyes. Any idea how to fix this? Was thinking of removing that piece and painting it.

4. The car does get some negative attention. I live in the SF Bay Area, where literally 50% of new cars sold now are EVs. I've had people yell at me saying my car is way too loud. I don't care, but it's annoying. Also, I live in an HOA so I have to be kinda careful with starting the car or driving through the neighborhood.

5. The stock brakes cake the wheels in dust. I can wash the wheels thorougly, but they're filthy again after 50 miles. IDK the specific difference between the ZL1 and Tesla brakes, but I rarely even do the wheels on the Tesla when I wash it. They're never dirty unless it rains. Even the RS3, which has aftermarket rotors and pads, doesnt get nearly as dirty.

Luckily, the list of things I love about this car is much, much longer.
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 04:20 AM   #12
LancevanceZLE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
I just hit 1500 in mine.

1. The whistling noise at very low throttle/vacuum, but I did an axle back so I can't hear it as much now, LOL

2. I really don't like the camera mirror. I can't get used to it. The zl1 isn't my daily.

3. The chrome trim up around over the gauges. It reflects the sun right into my eyes. Any idea how to fix this? Was thinking of removing that piece and painting it.

4. The car does get some negative attention. I live in the SF Bay Area, where literally 50% of new cars sold now are EVs. I've had people yell at me saying my car is way too loud. I don't care, but it's annoying. Also, I live in an HOA so I have to be kinda careful with starting the car or driving through the neighborhood.

5. The stock brakes cake the wheels in dust. I can wash the wheels thorougly, but they're filthy again after 50 miles. IDK the specific difference between the ZL1 and Tesla brakes, but I rarely even do the wheels on the Tesla when I wash it. They're never dirty unless it rains. Even the RS3, which has aftermarket rotors and pads, doesnt get nearly as dirty.

The Camaro has high performance pads. High performance pads tend to dust more. Your Tesla does not have high performance brake pads, and uses regenerative braking.

You can switch to aftermarket low dust pads, but you will be giving up some brake performance.
LancevanceZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 06:33 AM   #13
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
I just hit 1500 in mine.

Lol. You have got to love the hippies in CA telling you that you're car is too loud. I'd tell them to bring an decibel meter and let's see how loud it is as I pass you.

Unless the HOA says that you can have a vehicle that's over a certain decibel then screw them. I hate HOAs....
Vigilante375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 07:21 AM   #14
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I just hit 1500 in mine.

Hey JBones, congrats on your ZL1

1. This is unfortunately normal, I have had it on my 2018 since day 1, and having it a bit more faintly even now as the engine has gone through a few transformations since then.

2. If you're past 40-45, screens in your face don't work very well anymore (sigh).

3. Here's a tip for your chrome surround, I popped off these two pieces and plastidippedthem, they came out fantastic with a nice texture, almost impossible to tell they're not OEM.

4. Get a new plate with an appropriate response to these HOA karens.

5. You can swap out the pads for Powerstop Z26 carbon ceramic ones that don't dust, in exchange for some braking performance. I for one don't mind the dust, my SS 1LE wheels are brake dust color after all , and cleaning them is therapeutic.
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote