Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-18-2023, 12:44 PM   #1
DavidH

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
If you are gonna be dumb, ya better have money.

Messed up today guys and gals. Had the car out for a breakfast trip this morning and decided to have a small test hit on a private road on the way home. Left around 3k rpm, tires bit and left immediately, very minimal wheel spin. Unfortunately the clutch floated about halfway up through first. Went into second fine.

I abandoned the test and drove the half mile home. Immediately got a whiff of gear oil and burnt electric type smell. I cannot find any damage to the rear diff, transmission, etc. No leaking fluids either. After inspecting I drove around the block with no issues excluding a louder than normal rattle that I assume would be the slave/TOB?

Am I looking at a toasted clutch and slave assembly? Currently sitting a 118k miles and no idea if it's the original clutch or not.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:53 PM   #2
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
You smelled burnt clutch, which may or may not be a huge deal. They can stink without being ruined. Due to age and miles, you probably need a brake/clutch fluid flush. Did you happen to notice if the clutch pedal did not come all the way back up during the hit?
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 02:35 PM   #3
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
You smelled burnt clutch, which may or may not be a huge deal. They can stink without being ruined. Due to age and miles, you probably need a brake/clutch fluid flush. Did you happen to notice if the clutch pedal did not come all the way back up during the hit?
^^^^
Does sound like burnt clutch. And like Chev stated, not necessarily with damage occurring. Just got hot.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:07 AM   #4
DavidH

Partway through first gear it only came up about halfway, but by the time I could react it was already back up and revs were pretty high. It changed gears without issue. But that smell was immediate. I drove the car up on ramps and around the block afterwards, got the same smell.

I was planning on a clutch and new slave this upcoming winter. Guess I may need to do it sooner. There is a lot more noise coming from the slave/TOB though. Almost like a whine instead of just being noisy.

Last edited by DavidH; 03-19-2023 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2023, 02:42 PM   #5
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
If its not slipping I wouldn't sweat it, just don't beat on it until you get the new clutch.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:02 PM   #6
DavidH

It's parked in the garage currently, it's cheaper to drive the beater than replace the tr6060 lol. I'm Ordering the clutch, flywheel, bolts, new slave, billet support bearing, remote bleeder, and drive shaft support bearing next week.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:07 AM   #7
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Do yourself a favor and add a dedicated clutch reservoir if you are going that far. Ideal Garage used to be where everyone was buying them. That way, when you flush and bleed it, you don't have to bleed brakes. The clutch pollutes the fluid, which is why the pedal sticks, which can smoke your clutch. Lots of threads on how to clean and flush it.

Good luck!
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 11:10 AM   #8
DavidH

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
Do yourself a favor and add a dedicated clutch reservoir if you are going that far. Ideal Garage used to be where everyone was buying them. That way, when you flush and bleed it, you don't have to bleed brakes. The clutch pollutes the fluid, which is why the pedal sticks, which can smoke your clutch. Lots of threads on how to clean and flush it.

Good luck!
I was actually just looking at that last night. I added it to my list
Old 03-23-2023, 06:22 AM   #9
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
might as well get yourself a tilton throughout bearing while ur at it!
ps: sounds like u might of warped a plate
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 06:35 AM   #10
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
was it this bad? hahaha

https://youtu.be/GJ6atGhmVU8
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 04:09 PM   #11
DavidH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
was it this bad? hahaha

https://youtu.be/GJ6atGhmVU8
Lord no lol. My car still left like a rocket. Actually the hardest it's ever left.

@bottletalk

I'm trying to do some reading on them now. I know next to nothing about the tilton slave.
Old 06-25-2023, 01:00 PM   #12
DavidH

Got the new clutch in yesterday. Someone has replaced it recently, tons of life was left on the disc and PP looked new. Was also resurfacing marks on the flywheel.

Hated to put the new setup in with the old one looking perfectly fine, but come to find out I found the oil odor I've been smelling the last few months. Rear main and rear case seal were seeping pretty good. Pedal feel with the new clutch feels significantly lighter thn the old one. How is this possible if they were the same part?

Installed new GM flywheel and bolts
Z06 style clutch and PP from Tick Performance with bolts
Remote bleeder line
New GM slave with billet support bearing

Did not put the separate resivior in for the clutch. Fluid is black and needs completely flushed.
Attached Images