Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-25-2023, 08:06 PM   #29
Whisper1
Never Satisfied

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 2017 Challenger Scat Pack
Tracks Near Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
Yes! It really stinks that tracks are closing. I'm in the same boat. My hour drive to Atlanta Dragway was wonderful. No trailer needed, if it breaks, it's a "short" tow back home. Now, my closest decent quarter track is 3.5 to 4 hours away. :(

The only other option is "Mexico," which I don't like to do.
I see your location is "Atlanta". I may be moving out in the country around Atlanta (southeast). I understand it can take well over an hour to drive from north to south depending on traffic. I was thinking I could drive from the southeastern rural area around Covington or Lake Oconee to Silver Dollar Raceway but looking at Google driving directions seems like still around two hours. If I were just south of Atlanta in McDonough that would be an hour and twenty minutes but I was not drawn to that area. Is Silver Dollar the track that you had in mind? I know the guys at Vengeance Racing are doing something at a track in Alabama but I did not map that distance. Very frustrating.
Old 01-26-2023, 05:21 AM   #30
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NASSTY View Post
Performance Mods: upper/lower pulley, factory crank, heads, blower and shifter. Monster triple disc clutch. Fore dual pump full return, Meth, E85, PNR 5 Gallon ice tank with EMP pump. Corsa Exhaust, Rear Menscer Coil overs, BMR suspension, Hoosier Slicks & Skinnies, LT, CAM, 102 TB, Cal Hartline Tune, weight 4100 lbs
Category submitted for: Please List the Category or Category #15
R/T..........0.327
60'.............1.558
330'...........4.320
660'...........6.599
660’ mph...109.76
1000'..........8.530
1320'..........10.166
1320’ mph…137.74
Bradenton 1/12/23
Weather conditions 500 DA

Well done 👍
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 02:07 PM   #31
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper1 View Post
I see your location is "Atlanta". I may be moving out in the country around Atlanta (southeast). I understand it can take well over an hour to drive from north to south depending on traffic. I was thinking I could drive from the southeastern rural area around Covington or Lake Oconee to Silver Dollar Raceway but looking at Google driving directions seems like still around two hours. If I were just south of Atlanta in McDonough that would be an hour and twenty minutes but I was not drawn to that area. Is Silver Dollar the track that you had in mind? I know the guys at Vengeance Racing are doing something at a track in Alabama but I did not map that distance. Very frustrating.
It can definitely take an hour from suburbs to suburbs going to the other side of the city. Love the Atlanta area, though. I'm on the north side of the city, near Johns Creek and Cumming (about 15 minutes from Vengeance, actually). I've been in this general area since 2002- it's a nice place to live. Prior to that I was in downtown Atlanta for about 6 years. I like the 'burbs better than the city, but it's nice to be close to the city, the airport, etc.

As far as drag strips go, Silver Dollar is a 3-hr drive for me, South GA Motorsports park is a 4-hr drive, Carolina Dragway "House of Hook" is just over 3 hours, and Alabama international is also just over 3 hours.

So, on the plus side, I have a choice of 3 tracks that are the same travel time. On the minus side, 6+ hours of total travel to-and-from means I have to plan a day, take off of work, get a hotel, etc. I can't just go do a Friday night test-and-tune and be home by midnight like I could at Atlanta Dragway.

Total bummer. I haven't been to a strip since early spring '21 because that was the last test and tune weekend at the Atlanta Dragway before they shut down.

I don't really have anywhere near me where I can let 'er rip either- it's either too much traffic or too much 5-0 potential. I'm not about to risk going to jail for getting picked up doing 140 at the top of a pull. First world problems I guess. I should just suck it up and plan some weekends to drive my a$$ to the track.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote