Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-03-2023, 04:00 PM   #1
Arkangel-77

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Trunk is full of water - any thoughts?

SO I noticed my trunk carpet was wet. I started to dig around and found several spots leaking from what looks like between the body panels into the trunk area. There is NO sun roof on this car. Ima post pictures. As you can see some of these leeks look like they bin leaking for a while now! What seems recent and by far the worst leak is the back passenger seam under the spoiler area. Kinda hard to explain.

The 1st Four Pictures are the passenger rear corner below the spoiler.

Pic 6 & 7 are the drivers side/inside of the fender area that's leaking.

Pic 8 & 9 are the passenger side/inside the fender that's leaking.

You can see water track marks in all 3 of these areas
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2023, 04:28 PM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Some of the water drops you are seeing could just be condensation. It's probably going to take a water hose to track down exactly where the water is entering.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 04:45 PM   #3
Arkangel-77

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Some of the water drops you are seeing could just be condensation. It's probably going to take a water hose to track down exactly where the water is entering.

I don't think its condensation, You can see the water oozing from between the panels (maybe not in the pics). Also this was just after a rain on a cool day. When I removed the well cover there was condensation on the pump and on the battery. These leaks are not the same thing. ALSO - You can see trails of sediment or discoloration where these leeks have bin happening for a while. You can see it in the pics
Old 01-03-2023, 06:01 PM   #4
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
trunk seal or back window leak maybe?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 06:02 PM   #5
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Looks like the seam sealer is missing in the exterior seam to the rear of deck lid strut mount. (Picture 1)There should be a plastic cover over that area as well to help keep some of that water out the area. It’s kind of hard for me to make out the other locations because of how focused the pictures are.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.

Last edited by Aqua Blue RS/SS; 01-03-2023 at 06:14 PM.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 06:15 PM   #6
Arkangel-77

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
trunk seal or back window leak maybe?

not sure - trunk seal looks OK I think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Looks like the seam sealer is missing in the exterior seam behind the deck lid strut. (Picture 1)There should be a plastic cover over that area as well to help keep some of that water out the area. It’s kind of hard for me to make out the other locations because of how focused the pictures are.

Its defiantly hard to get decent pics. I removed the plastic cover while looking for the leak. I kinda think its a seam sealer issue myself - Just not sure
Old 01-03-2023, 06:16 PM   #7
Aqua Blue RS/SS

It is 100% a seam sealer issue in pic 1.
Looks like you can see where it’s missing/damaged here.
Attached Images

ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
Old 01-03-2023, 06:16 PM   #8
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Do you have a sunroof and is the drain hose from there, which passes through the trunk, properly connected?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 06:20 PM   #9
Aqua Blue RS/SS

He said there’s no sunroof…
Old 01-04-2023, 05:57 AM   #10
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Do you have an aftermarket rear spoiler?
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 06:36 AM   #11
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
How about the third brake lamp harness? Is it out of position possibly getting between the weatherstrip and the trunk lid? I have the accessory spoiler on mine and the light is relocated to the spoiler.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 07:01 AM   #12
13hotwheels

Drives: 2010 Hennessey HPE550 #19
Is the car new to you? The rust on the battery posts and retention suggest this is an old problem. As others have said, check trunk seal (close trunk with something between seal and trunk like with a sheet of paper and pull - should resist vs. freely pull out), spoiler, rear bow tie emblem (I think in 2010 some were retained by studs vs. simply tape). Sealer between body panels just doesn't fail unless it's been stressed (like a repair from collision?), paint discoloration and flange where Aqua Blue points out tend to tell me repair job. If the car is new(er) to you, did you get a CarFax?
2010 Hennessey HPE550 #19
13hotwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 07:36 AM   #13
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13hotwheels View Post
Is the car new to you? The rust on the battery posts and retention suggest this is an old problem. As others have said, check trunk seal (close trunk with something between seal and trunk like with a sheet of paper and pull - should resist vs. freely pull out), spoiler, rear bow tie emblem (I think in 2010 some were retained by studs vs. simply tape). Sealer between body panels just doesn't fail unless it's been stressed (like a repair from collision?), paint discoloration and flange where Aqua Blue points out tend to tell me repair job. If the car is new(er) to you, did you get a CarFax?
The plastic covers mentioned above rubbed thru the sealer in 2 spots on my old SS. I’m wondering if that is what happened to that seam here.
Old 01-04-2023, 08:23 AM   #14
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkangel-77 View Post
I don't think its condensation, You can see the water oozing from between the panels (maybe not in the pics). Also this was just after a rain on a cool day. When I removed the well cover there was condensation on the pump and on the battery. These leaks are not the same thing. ALSO - You can see trails of sediment or discoloration where these leeks have bin happening for a while. You can see it in the pics
Not trying to say all of it's condensation, just that you probably don't have multiple points of water entry, or at least not multiple points of failure.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote