Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-07-2022, 11:06 AM   #15
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
I don't say shit on here because I don't know what I'm talking about! Although many on here do............ Here is the official procedure from General Motors on replacing the clips. Blue and I were correct.

Roof Panel Molding Retainer

Procedure
Ensure that a new pre-cured roof panel molding retainer is being used and discard old retainer.
Apply 3M DURAMIX Super-Fast Adhesive 4747 or equivalent to the cured structural bonding on the new roof panel molding retainer.
The front roof panel molding retainer is placed 25 mm from the front edge of the window frame, centered side to side in the ditch channel and secured with masking tape.
Apply an overlapping drop of adhesive on the front and rear edge of the roof panel molding retainer to the ditch channel.
Allow time for sufficient bonding strength.
Minimum 15 minutes at 23°C (73°F)
Minimum 30 minutes at 10–23°C (50–73°F)
Minimum 60 minutes at 5–10°C (41–50°F)
Remove the masking tape after the bonding time has elapsed.
Please allow adhesive to fully cure prior to installing roof panel joint finish molding.
Lol I hear that! I did collision repair for several years before jumping ship to Oil and Gas. I’ve done this shit professionally and on the side for a good while.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 04:50 PM   #16
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
I don't say shit on here because I don't know what I'm talking about! Although many on here do............ Here is the official procedure from General Motors on replacing the clips. Blue and I were correct.

Procedure
Ensure that a new pre-cured roof panel molding retainer is being used and discard old retainer.
Apply 3M DURAMIX Super-Fast Adhesive 4747 or equivalent to the cured structural bonding on the new roof panel molding retainer.
The front roof panel molding retainer is placed 25 mm from the front edge of the window frame, centered side to side in the ditch channel and secured with masking tape.
Apply an overlapping drop of adhesive on the front and rear edge of the roof panel molding retainer to the ditch channel.
Please allow adhesive to fully cure prior to installing roof panel joint finish molding.

Thanks for sharing this. This is good info. I will follow this procedure.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:13 PM   #17
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Does anyone else find it funny that for the front splitter, you know a part that sees a lot of wind and down force, GM relied on 3M tape to hold them in place but for these little clips that have no force exerted on them at all, GM requires epoxy.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:15 PM   #18
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Does anyone else find it funny that for the front splitter, you know a part that sees a lot of wind and down force, GM relied on 3M tape to hold them in place but for these little clips that have no force exerted on them at all, GM requires epoxy.

Good thinking there. Things that make you go hmmm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:05 PM   #19
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
Quote:

Procedure
No one said you don’t know shit, that’s just how you took it. I offered another solution to the OP that has worked for me since he didn’t want to go with what was suggested. I do think that you are a very good person to have on this forum
with the knowledge that you have. Don’t be so easy to get butthurt though when someone offers a different solution.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:21 AM   #20
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Are you referring to the splitter that takes 31 rivets, 8 screws, and 9 strips of 2 sided tape to install? Your statement is misleading, especially to someone who's never installed one. The tape has a purpose and it's not to hold the splitter on the car.

How many people on here have had the Camaro lettering on the front fender fall off? I have.......guess what their held on with?
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 06:18 PM   #21
SummitWhite11

Quote:

Procedure

Well I followed GM’s instructions along with your recommendation twice when using the 3M super fast adhesive 4747 and I have to say it was a major thumbs down! It does NOT hold the clips in place and when I need to lift up the trim to readjust the position it rips the clips right off of the body. I even went so far to use JB Weld super weld extreme which has a strength of 3000 psi and even that DID NOT work! Wtf! These metal clips are a nightmare because they have such a grip that you cannot remove the trim easily as you could with the factory plastic clips. Not user friendly at all!

What should be recommended now? Good thing I left the drivers side plastic clips in place as they were not damaged. The passenger side clips both front and rear were broken upon inspection and I used the metal clips via part number provided by another forum member in this thread. These clips are awful!

Old 12-21-2022, 07:18 PM   #22
SummitWhite11

744 views and based on my findings no one wants to touch this topic now? LOL

Old 12-21-2022, 09:10 PM   #23
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Sorry I did not see this post earlier. How did you prep before applying the 4747?
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
Old 12-22-2022, 04:28 AM   #24
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Sorry I did not see this post earlier. How did you prep before applying the 4747?

I removed the all of the old adhesive on the roof and cleaned the area with alcohol. I then applied a drop of the 4747 on both ends of the clips and placed them in the correct location in the roof channel. Let it sit for a few days before putting the strip in place.

Old 12-22-2022, 07:41 AM   #25
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
I removed the all of the old adhesive on the roof and cleaned the area with alcohol. I then applied a drop of the 4747 on both ends of the clips and placed them in the correct location in the roof channel. Let it sit for a few days before putting the strip in place.

What applicator did you use?
Old 12-22-2022, 08:13 AM   #26
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Op is asking for guesses. I'm with the majority in asking either about surfaces preparation or mixing.
This is a 2 part product, resin and hardener.
Any of us that's worked with 2part epoxy or bondo knows when we get the mix wrong it doesn't work right. Too much hardener it might harden up before we get it done, too little and it never sets up.
If you don't have the handy dandy applicator a person might squirt out enough on a scrap cardboard so you can see both parts are coming out equally which you can't in "one drop" and mix it up then apply it with a screwdriver or something. If it's all done correctly I would expect it to not come off easily, especially using a different 2 part epoxy we are familiar with.
I can't see the clips in my hand but looks like it has foam on the bottom? There was something white there, I've never seen white metal. Typical 2 part epoxy gets hard like super glue. The 04747 says semi rigid. Something like weatherstrip adhesive. I'd try the latter before trying a hard drying glue.
Attached Images

Last edited by silversleeper; 12-22-2022 at 09:12 AM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 10:31 AM   #27
NOT A 45

He stated he followed the directions I sent him and I believe him. BUT did he follow the Duramix instructions? I use this stuff in our shop all the time, and it always works as expected.

Most of us I'm sure have used 2 part epoxy before, the kind you mix on a piece of cardboard then apply. Duramix is not intended to be mixed in open air, it must be mixed in the applicator tube. Prior to using you must sand both pieces with 80 grit, clean all the dust away, then use adhesion promoter (PN 05907) on both pieces to be bonded together and let that set about 5 min. When your ready, apply the glue to one of the pieces and place them together immediately. Done correctly, those clips aren't coming off!
Old 12-22-2022, 05:26 PM   #28
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Quote:
He stated he followed the directions I sent him and I believe him. BUT did he follow the Duramix instructions? I use this stuff in our shop all the time, and it always works as expected.

Most of us I'm sure have used 2 part epoxy before, the kind you mix on a piece of cardboard then apply. Duramix is not intended to be mixed in open air, it must be mixed in the applicator tube. Prior to using you must sand both pieces with 80 grit, clean all the dust away, then use adhesion promoter (PN 05907) on both pieces to be bonded together and let that set about 5 min. When your ready, apply the glue to one of the pieces and place them together immediately. Done correctly, those clips aren't coming off!
This!!!! Exactly why I asked about prep. If you don’t scuff the surface it won’t stick.
And exactly right about it having to mix in the tip and not by hand. Shoot the first little bit of the mix into the trash as well to ensure your into the portion of it that is thoroughly mixed.