Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-08-2022, 08:59 AM   #29
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
My daughter is 20 and she had kids in her high school class as seniors that still didn’t have their drivers license because they had no interest in driving and now with these self drive cars I hear the young kids talk about how nice it’ll be to play on their phones while they’re getting driven where they need to go
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:17 AM   #30
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Read 45’s last sentence.
Read it yourself.

It says the all electric Camaro, doesn't say all Camaro's will be electric.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:20 AM   #31
Risingson05

Drives: 2015 zl1 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Read it yourself.

Didn’t gm announce that Camaros are gonna die off and be replaced with an electric sedan ? I would imagine that means no more v8 murica
Old 12-08-2022, 09:23 AM   #32
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
F e-cars, hydrogen could be the ev kryptonite. The v8 looks kinda cool. Maybe there’d be a way to cam it with long tubes
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/toyota-...red-pickup-suv
Once again the Japanese are paying attention to what the consumer wants. The BIG problem with hydrogen power will be the refueling infrastructure. With the US govt and the boot licking lackeys running (or ruining) the American auto industry waving their pompoms in favor of the electric snake oil hydrogen will have a HUGE hurdle to overcome. Too bad.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:50 AM   #33
b3freak
Long Live Chevy Camaro!

Drives: 2014 Camaro LT2/RS
Do y'all remember all the "peak oil" debates surrounding the end of the oil supply? It's been cycling in and out of the press since the 50s back when I my father was beginning to drive. It resurfaced big time in the early 2000s. The "end of oil supply" was reason they thought we'd should move away from ICE and into alternate forms of energy for transportation. Here we are in 2022 and just like the VHS vs. Betamax vs. Laserdisc competition of the 70s/80s, it seems EV has won. The big reason to move away from internal combustion seems to rest solely on climate change or "global warming". While I'm sure most of us would agree we need to take care of the world we share, but I'm not entirely convinced that electrical vehicles won't have as much impact on the earth and climate. Some points to consider:

Did you know?
1. That the batteries in electric vehicles take 10x the materials to produce over ICE.
2. A single EV contains more cobalt than 1000 smartphones.
3. It takes moving 1.5 tons of earth to extract the precious metals to produce one Tesla battery array?
4. It also take 100 barrels of oil to fabricate one battery on a EV.
5. By 2030, it's predicted that batteries will produce 10 million metric tons of waste.
6. The lithium mining uses about 500,000 gallons of water per metric ton of lithium. Lithium mining is predicted to be more harmful to the environment because of the toxic chemicals it produces. The extraction process leaves behind toxic chemicals which harms the soil and causes severe air contamination. Researchers have found lithium extraction contamination in water 150 miles from the processing site.

Where do you think this is all happening? Not in our yard! In China. China dominates the global market, just like the Middle East dominated the market for oil production. Let that sink in.

source - Manhattan-Institute research and Institute for energy research.
2010 Camaro LT1/RS
Present:
2014 Camaro LT2/RS
b3freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:58 AM   #34
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Meh, the EV market will eventually cool off. Who knows when, though. I did just read about Switzerland banning EV charging during certain hours of the day in order to conserve energy during the winter months over there. I just don't see EV coming close to the gas engine market.

And hydrogen fuel cells aren't the answer.
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:38 AM   #35
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Read it yourself.

Your right, it doesn't say that in plain language. However I attended a GM function in New York last July with engineers and sales executives, and I can tell you with certainty every new platform brought to market (including Corvette) will be 100% electric and based on the Ultium battery platform.

Does that mean they will no longer produce ice vehicles after 2025? No, current platforms will continue to be produced until the next redesign which I take to be sooner than later considering Barra wants to be 100% electric by 2030.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:20 PM   #36
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
So if we can believe Car and Driver’s source, here’s what is the plan. The Camaro brand will be all-electric, and consist of a 2+2 coupe and convertible, just like it has been forever. But sporty two- and four-door crossovers are also part of the expansion, as is a sports car. This would use some or many components of the C9 Corvette, but won’t carry any of its design cues.

At this early stage, it is unknown if this Camaro sports car would share the Corvette’s platform or the 2+2’s. We don’t even know if there will be much of a difference since they’ll be electric. As GM was once mired in badge branding to generate more models, it is hoped this slice of GM history has not been forgotten at the silver silos.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 01:01 PM   #37
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
So if we can believe Car and Driver’s source, here’s what is the plan. The Camaro brand will be all-electric, and consist of a 2+2 coupe and convertible, just like it has been forever. But sporty two- and four-door crossovers are also part of the expansion, as is a sports car. This would use some or many components of the C9 Corvette, but won’t carry any of its design cues.

At this early stage, it is unknown if this Camaro sports car would share the Corvette’s platform or the 2+2’s. We don’t even know if there will be much of a difference since they’ll be electric. As GM was once mired in badge branding to generate more models, it is hoped this slice of GM history has not been forgotten at the silver silos.
After 25 years of loyalty to the brand, many Tahoes, Traverses, Cadillacs, Camaros and Corvettes later, I’ve purchased my last new GM (sorry, didn’t mean to offend, it’s a soft gm now). I’ll still buy used (maybe), but no more new for me. They can whore out the sacred nameplates all they want, means nothing to me anymore.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:50 PM   #38
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Quote:
Read it yourself.

Mary Barra has made it abundantly clear that GM is going all electric. I can't see them making an exception for the slow selling Camaro.
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:11 PM   #39
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3freak View Post
Do y'all remember all the "peak oil" debates surrounding the end of the oil supply? It's been cycling in and out of the press since the 50s back when I my father was beginning to drive. It resurfaced big time in the early 2000s. The "end of oil supply" was reason they thought we'd should move away from ICE and into alternate forms of energy for transportation. Here we are in 2022 and just like the VHS vs. Betamax vs. Laserdisc competition of the 70s/80s, it seems EV has won. The big reason to move away from internal combustion seems to rest solely on climate change or "global warming". While I'm sure most of us would agree we need to take care of the world we share, but I'm not entirely convinced that electrical vehicles won't have as much impact on the earth and climate. Some points to consider:

Did you know?
1. That the batteries in electric vehicles take 10x the materials to produce over ICE.
2. A single EV contains more cobalt than 1000 smartphones.
3. It takes moving 1.5 tons of earth to extract the precious metals to produce one Tesla battery array?
4. It also take 100 barrels of oil to fabricate one battery on a EV.
5. By 2030, it's predicted that batteries will produce 10 million metric tons of waste.
6. The lithium mining uses about 500,000 gallons of water per metric ton of lithium. Lithium mining is predicted to be more harmful to the environment because of the toxic chemicals it produces. The extraction process leaves behind toxic chemicals which harms the soil and causes severe air contamination. Researchers have found lithium extraction contamination in water 150 miles from the processing site.

Where do you think this is all happening? Not in our yard! In China. China dominates the global market, just like the Middle East dominated the market for oil production. Let that sink in.

source - Manhattan-Institute research and Institute for energy research.
Very informative and concerning!
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:47 PM   #40
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Very informative and concerning!
Totally agree with you camguynj. Great post b3freak. Those first 6 statistics are all true but the last sentence is the one that pisses me off. It's pretty crappy looking at a satellite picture and the air quality over China and India. WE have to be the ones to change. Pisses me off. Glad I got my Camaro Gen5 when I did. For those of you with those loud V8s, continue "rattling those windows"
Old 12-09-2022, 01:14 AM   #41
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
EVs are not the answer.with 8 billion two legged rats on the planet population reduction is the answer...but theres no volunteers.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 07:31 AM   #42
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
EVs are not the answer.with 8 billion two legged rats on the planet population reduction is the answer...but theres no volunteers.
I have a list.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote